Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've a question about Brandon Jacobs, if he isn't injured then why has he not played for the 49ers since signing him ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've no idea, he gave an interview before the Giants game basically saying he was fit to play and couldn't understand himself. He was at least suited up last night but he's 3rd on the depth chart at the moment behind gore and hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,480 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jacobs is clearly a moaner and possibly not a great locker room presence. I think they made a mistake signing him. He has had fumble issues for the last couple of years too.

I think they made a mistake signing him. Kendall Hunter looks pretty special to me and Dixon has looked decent in his limited opportunities and then you got your rookie LaMichael James.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jacobs is clearly a moaner and possibly not a great locker room presence. I think they made a mistake signing him. He has had fumble issues for the last couple of years too.

I think they made a mistake signing him. Kendall Hunter looks pretty special to me and Dixon has looked decent in his limited opportunities and then you got your rookie LaMichael James.

I'd have all 4 of them ahead of Jacobs to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,480 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I remember hearing one of the commentators saying last night that Marshawn Lynch is probably the most underrated back in the league. I actually think its Gore who is that. Clearly he is a huge hero for 49ers fans but everytime you hear a discussion about the best RBs he is never mentioned which I think is very unfair. The man is so unlucky not to be going for his 7th consecutive 1000 yard season. He has been super consistent since he came into the league. Other guys come along and put up big numbers for a couple of seasons but he has done the same thing year in, year out for quite a while now. Only for the injury in 2010 people would probably be wondering if he could go on long enough to emulate Emmet Smith. What he is going this year is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good weekend for the 49ers, with the Cardinals and the Rams both losing. If the 49ers can come away from Arizona with a win next Monday night, they'll be well set heading into the bye week.

If they lose however the whole division will be wide open again.

Next weeks games are:

Seahawks @ Lions
    Patriots @ Rams
    49ers @ Cardinals

Current Standings

49ers 5-2
    Cardinals 4-3
    Seahawks 4-3
    Rams 3-4

Alex Smith OUT for 49ers vs. Bears on Monday Night Football. Colin Kaepernick vs. Jason Campbell tonight? Bet the under.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Time for Kaepernick to stand up and we can see how good he is, I haven't been overly impressed with him so far so hopefully this will change tonight.

Dymo wrote: »
    Time for Kaepernick to stand up and we can see how good he is, I haven't been overly impressed with him so far so hopefully this will change tonight.
    I presume you're a bit more impressed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Very impressive win, Kaepernick was superb by all accounts. And Aldon Smith is a machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

adrian522 wrote: »
    I presume you're a bit more impressed now?

Definitely, great game for his first NFL start quick hands and has great potential to be a effective running back. Kaepernick's numbers pass completions 16-of-23, 243 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions! were impressive, especially given that they were compiled against the NFL's second-stingiest scoring defense coming in. He made smart, confident decisions and he attacked the opposing secondary without hesitation, something Alex Smith isn't always encouraged or is he even equipped to do.

Kapernick and Aldon Smith first 2 picks in the 2011 draft

That 2011 draft class looks excellent now:

Aldon Smith(1st), Colin Kaepernick (2nd), Chris Culliver(3rd), Kendall Hunter(4th), Daniel Kilgore(5th),Bruce Miller(7th).

2012 Daft not looking so good as we haven't seen any of the drafted players feature as of yet, but early days yet. Also stockpiled extra picks for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

You guys have to be considering trading Kaepernick. Considering the state of the QB class, plenty of teams might be willing to trade a first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

matthew8 wrote: »
    You guys have to be considering trading Kaepernick. Considering the state of the QB class, plenty of teams might be willing to trade a first.

I would imagine they're more likely to consider starting Kaepernick...

Interesting discussion, I wouldn't like to go overboard based on 1 performance but I would imagine that Kaepernick would be the 49ers starter before he would be traded,

Good QB's are far too scarce to be traded away lightly. I think Smith will be the QB for the rest of the year but Kepernick to take over sometime next season.

Harbaugh said he "usually goes with the hot hand" but that he also thinks he has 2 QB's with a hot hand right now, read into that what you will.

The only way you would trade him away is if you feel Alex Smith is the QB for the next 5+ years and I don't think that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just watched the highlights there and I'm impressed with Kaepernick. He moves well, is aware in the pocket & throws well when on the run.................he reminded me a little of Elway !! /hyperbole

So far he's been compared to Brady, Elway, Montana and Young. No pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would imagine they're more likely to consider starting Kaepernick...

Surely that would be the case. The problem with Smith is that although he's a decent QB, he isn't exactly the guy you would look towards getting it done in crunch time in the playoffs or a player that could create something out of nothing. Like that Giants game last season - at no point did I think Smith was going to grab the game in OT and drive downfield for the win.

Given Kaepernick's arm strength and running ability, that'd be who the 49ers should be looking towards. I mean, it's not long ago they were looking beyond Smith (albeit towards Manning who you couldn't turn down) - so if the opportunity is continued to be taken by Kaepernick, he should be starter.

Of course, he could come out next week and throw 5 INT's and we'll all be saying why wasn't Smith playing! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

There should be no discussion whatsoever about the starting QB for the Niners. They are team with genuine Superbowl prospects and while Kaepernick might have a higher ceiling that Alex Smith if you were coaching the team would you be willing to take the risk?

I wouldnt and I'd stick with Smith. He has shown in the last 18 months that he is more than a functional game manager. He is a top QB when he is playing in that system and could anyone really come in and be a considerable upgrade? Smith has lost five games in the last year and a half and this season he is playing very well. He is averaging over 8 yards per attempt and rarely turns the ball over (with the exception of the Giants game), completes 70% of his passes and has a QB rating of over 100.

I'm not saying that Smith is a Brady/Rodgers/Manning but for the Niners he is a very productive player that in this system can excel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm definitely not (seriously) comparing him to Elway,Montana etc, it's just he reminded me of Elway the way he moved & throwed on the run the other night.

The 49ers have a problem, but I guess it's a good problem. Remember the way the 49ers went after Manning ! and if you now add in the way Kaepernick is playing, I'm guessing Smith is the one that's sweating it !!

• Advertisement

Smith has been playing really well though, only 2 incompletion's in his last 2 games (one of which was cut short by injury) so I don't think there is any real chance of a change this season.

Once he is declared fit he will return as the starter but he will know the backup is breathing down his neck. Hopefully that will bring the best out of him.

Agree with Frostie above, no point in making a change while things are going so well. Probably see a little more in the way of Kaeprnick coming in on certain scenarios but Smith will be the starter.

I do however think that there will be a proper QB competition at training camp next year.

No matter what way you cut it this is good news for SF, a couple of years ago we were chopping and changing and seemed to have an endless supply of mediocre QB's, now we seem to have 2 decent starting options.,

Here we go:

"BREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health."

Jim Trotter Sports Illustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Here we go:

"BREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health."

Jim Trotter Sports Illustrated.

I trust Harbaugh completely but this is such a risky call if true. As Frostie said above, we are in such a great position now, why make such a pivotal change at this point. If the season were to go tits up from here the blame would lay squarely with Harbaugh. On the flip side, it could be a master stroke!

I guess he wants to find out if Colin is the real deal or a once off. Very harsh on Alex though, who leads the NFL in completion percentage and yards per attempt.

If Kaep can perform at the level he did against the bears it obviously improves the team greatly. If not, he can always go back to Alex.

Also the Saints defense is pretty poor, and Kaep may be in a better position to take advantage of that. Who knows what the thinking behind it is, but pretty exciting times no matter how you look at it.

More Links:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098964/article/colin-kaepernick-not-alex-smith-reportedly-49ers-qb

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098972/article/colin-kaepernick-is-right-qb-for-san-francisco-49ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lava_man

I trust Harbaugh. He knows Smiths limitations. This isn't a decision based on a 1 week performance. They see Kaep in practice everyday.

Greg Roman insisting no decision made on starting QB. Also says Alex not yet cleared for Sundays game.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/11/22/no-qb-decision-yet-according-to-offensive-coordinator/

I feel it's appropriate to post this link today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLz_7VkXD0

This too...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/48707/hey-at-least-harbaugh-threw-no-punches

Learn the rules indeed!

What does everyone think of the QB situation?

Is the whole thing a tactic to let the saints prepare for the wrong QB only for Alex to start?

It's also possible that Kaepernick will start this week as Alex has not been a full participant in practice for 2 weeks now.

whatever the truth I'm entirely confused by the whole situation, but I don't believe a permanent hange at QB has been made and I believe Alex Smith will be the starting QB again this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

What does everyone think of the QB situation?

Is the whole thing a tactic to let the saints prepare for the wrong QB only for Alex to start?

It's also possible that Kaepernick will start this week as Alex has not been a full participant in practice for 2 weeks now.

whatever the truth I'm entirely confused by the whole situation, but I don't believe a permanent hange at QB has been made and I believe Alex Smith will be the starting QB again this season.

I guess we won't know until tomorrow. My take is when Harbaugh talked about how he likes the guy with the hot hand, he knew then he was going with Kaepernick. Because if you were still undecided, or knew you were sticking with Smith, why create unnecessary speculation?

I don't think it's a ploy to deceive the Saints. That's a small advantage for one game, and is just a side-benefit. It wouldn't be worth upsetting your QB and fuelling the media speculation just for that.

I don't believe it's necessarily permanent. I think Kaepernick will partly be on audition for the next 2-3 weeks, and there would be an option there to go back to Smith. But I think 60% or more of Harbaugh wants to go with Kaepernick, and he has to find out now. If he left it 2 or 3 more weeks it'd be too late to throw him in.

• Advertisement

Well that was interesting wasn't it? Certainly a bit of bad blood between these teams, but I thought it was a realy enjoyable game.

Officials were poor, missed a few easy calls, some went our way some against us.

Looks like we may lose Kyle Williams and Kendall Hunter for the rest of the year.

Kaepernick was good without lighting it up like he did against Chicago. I feel if Alex Smith doens't get the start against St. Louis he is essentially done in SF.

We struggled a bit running the ball but the biggest concern at the moment is David Ackers, missed 1 FG and had another blocked, this needs sorting out soon or it will come back to bite us in the ass.

Also worrying is Ginn muffing a punt that essentially cost us 7 points, again not a big deal for right now but mistakes like this can cost you big time in January.

Other than that good win coupled with a seahawks loss, SF looking good to take the division and possible that number 2 seed also. Big games remaining are against Seattle and also New England.

Advertisement