Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aidan's tip of the week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Folks , a lot of MHs have security locks on the House door , like this one..http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Security-Products-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Security-Lock , I've seen a few to loosen on the pivot bolt . So when you're turning it , always turn them clockwise .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 polly48

why didnt i see this site sooner...:confused: might have saved me a lot of grief:( thanks much aidan

Sorry everyone , work has been hectic , I've started back rallying and did some major work to my wee rally car , and then I've had interweb issues to top it all off .

Back to business!

<struggles mightily for a while to think of something useful , that hasn't already been mentioned..........>

as mentioned in another thread , the 03 on Ducatos engine battery is quite snug where it's fitted . The inside (positive) connection can be a right nuisance , Fiat have a plastic piece in the centre of it which can stop it tightening properly , whilst still looking as if its fine . First thing to check on a 'van that randomly doesn't start , or the clock goes to 00:00 on after starting . Also under the battery , about 1o inches down , on top of the chassis leg , is the main earth connection ,this can get corroded .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

Just joined,really into motorhomes,just got a new hymer544. some selection of campers,big weekend on the 15 april was there last year,brilliant weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭meercat

dorts wrote: »
    Just joined,really into motorhomes,just got a new hymer544. some selection of campers,big weekend on the 15 april was there last year,brilliant weekend:)

well done
    safe travels
    dont forget to wave;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Sorry everyone , work has been hectic , I've started back rallying and did some major work to my wee rally car , and then I've had interweb issues to top it all off .

Back to business! QUOTE]
    good to hear, we had the camper down at the midland stages at the weekend

joed571 wrote: »

Back to business! QUOTE]
    good to hear, we had the camper down at the midland stages at the weekend

oh yeah? Not an early 90's Elddis by any chance? I was marshalling .

oh yeah? Not an early 90's Elddis by any chance? I was marshalling .

it was a 95 fiat dethleffs, parked in the middle of stage 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eura

Hi Aidan I have purchased a 2003 camper with an Alko Chassis I cant find you thread re tips for Alko chassis could you re post it please:D

• Advertisement

eura wrote: »
    Hi Aidan I have purchased a 2003 camper with an Alko Chassis I cant find you thread re tips for Alko chassis could you re post it please:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66766373 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eura

Thanks

A lot of ye are driving the '03 - '07 shape Ducatos yeah? And most I see coming in have the service indicator Spanner showing.. To cancel this , turn on the key , with the total mileage showing on the odomoeter , press and hold the mileage reset button.... and hold it...and hold it... and hold it......til you see CFG 1, 2 or 3 flashing . press the mileage button til CFG 2 shows up , then press and hold the mileage button til the total mileage comes back again.

Are ya for monaghan at the weekend ? some entry

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

A lot of ye are driving the '03 - '07 shape Ducatos yeah? And most I see coming in have the service indicator Spanner showing.. To cancel this , turn on the key , with the total mileage showing on the odomoeter , press and hold the mileage reset button.... and hold it...and hold it... and hold it......til you see CFG 1, 2 or 3 flashing . press the mileage button til CFG 2 shows up , then press and hold the mileage button til the total mileage comes back again.

Was going to ask how to cancel it. Will try that in the morning. Thanks ;)

Are ya for monaghan at the weekend ? some entry
    no , had a bad day at the Moonraker Forestry .

Folks , tbh , I'm struggling to think of new tips!

On toilet doors , I often see the catch to get tight , especially after the winter hibernation , or damp weather . The door swells , and the tongue of the catch "bottoms" out , normally you need to either adjust the door sideways on the hinge , or trim the frame to move the receiver farther from the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

great tips aidan - really appreciated

i have a leak around the satellite dish rubber - do you have any suggestion how to fix that - normally i would use silicone, but it seems the rubber might be too flexible and move too much for the silicone to hold, am i wrong there?
    :o

don't EVER use silicone to seal anything on a camper . Its just not good enough . I use Wurth Bond 'n Seal .

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

any tips want to remove head light assembly from 2005 fiat ducato to work on wing

• Advertisement

simple. Remove the grille , and it exposes a hidden bolt , open that and the other top one , and it pops off a ball and socket joint at the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

thanks for the tip i have not worked on a ducato before it is always best to know where to start a lady reversed into my camper no real damage slight scratches light assembly moved to right will let you know how it went wont do any thing this weekend going for a spin again thanks for the help

tibia wrote: »
    Citric acid, available from a chemist's shop, is the way to go. I have followed the advice found here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9617&posts=6

with great success and the cassette looked 'as new'. Apparently the float for the gauge can come loose if you agitate the cassette too vigorously when cleaning it so take it handy :D

I think the float in my cassette has come loose as there is something rattling around in there! Either that or one of the kids put a stone down the loo (going through a stone collection phase at the moment :rolleyes:)! Thanks for the link above. Off to chemist to by some citric acid...

Well it would seem that what was floating around in there (toilet cassette) was in fact gunk/scale that had built up and come loose. So after an overnight treatment with citric acid as described above all is well. At least all the bits that should be there and intact appear to be as such. Going to give it another soak tonight and it should be like new.

So folks if its been a while maybe you should treat that cassette to a citric acid bath and perhaps avoid some problems down the road. :D Its easy to do, inexpensive and not at all unpleasant.

on a related note.... you need to keep your waste tank empty as much as possible . Any water and crud that goes down into it , when left to sit , causes a smell... and it's not far from the tank to the plughole , so the smell can come back up into the van. You'd be surprised at how many Campers call into the yard , with a smell wafting up the plugholes..

I'd usually throw a bucket of water with detergent in it down each plughole , that cleans out the waste pipes ,then take the van for a spin to the crossroads , swerving the van left and right a bit to swish it around , then empty the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Folks , tbh , I'm struggling to think of new tips!

Aidan, PM sent re a new tip idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

dfbemt wrote: »
    Aidan, PM sent re a new tip idea.

At least you can't be accused of being a glory hunter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

on a related note.... you need to keep your waste tank empty as much as possible

plus with fuel costs rocketing it makes no sense carrying round a tank full of waste water to add to the fuel bill !

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

plus with fuel costs rocketing it makes no sense carrying round a tank full of waste water to add to the fuel bill !

Very true......same goes for fresh water........uness your planning to go wild camping....you probably dont need a full tank of fresh water either

• Advertisement

The 2007 on shape Ducato exhaust mounts are prretty poor , I think the crossways design of mounting the silencer gives them a tough life . Fiat mounts are dear , and not very good... I use Honda ones! Cheaper and stronger . And still plenty flexible .

Advertisement