Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your goals for 2019?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I’ve never posted here before, and mine’s a really really basic one compared to some of yours, but join the gym, and actually go, whether it’s before class, after, or during a break. Starting on Monday and looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Brian? wrote: »
    Contradicting excerpt:

“The better shape you're in, the slower your heart rate will be when you're not moving around.”

I think you’re confusing the recommendation here. 50-70 is a healthy range for most people. Over 70 is possibly unhealthy. That doesn’t mean that under 50 is unhealthy.

I’d be very surprised to find any study showing a low heart rate was something to worry about. Or even any doctor who’d recommend getting less fit to raise your heart rate above 50.

I never said under 50 was unhealthy.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I’ve never posted here before, and mine’s a really really basic one compared to some of yours, but join the gym, and actually go, whether it’s before class, after, or during a break. Starting on Monday and looking forward to it :)

Moving around sometimes is better than not moving around at all. What's working for me is forgetting about headphones and seeing the gym as a time to unwind, have some me time and a digital detox. It's becoming a happy place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Worztron wrote: »
    I never said under 50 was unhealthy.

Ok. So what was your point about HR?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Moving around sometimes is better than not moving around at all. What's working for me is forgetting about headphones and seeing the gym as a time to unwind, have some me time and a digital detox. It's becoming a happy place

That’s a good idea, I might try that. I’m definitely guilty of spending way too much time on my phone so maybe the gym is a place to cut that out.

• Advertisement

Ok. So what was your point about HR?

My point was clear regarding a good range HR for people. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109078159&postcount=42

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ffs, does anyone give a sh1te about the minute details of Heart rates? moar goals please.

ffs, does anyone give a sh1te about the minute details of Heart rates? moar goals please.

You're right.

More goals.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭GapMinder

Lose and keep off 15kg

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Goals for 2019:

After being plagued with knee issue last year, I got a scope during the week which will hopefully help, so get back to full fitness and staying injury free are my biggest priorities, if that happens:

Do G2 grading in Krav Maga
    Go for Krav Instructor course

To help with cardio for the above goals, cycle 50k once a week (can't run anymore due to knee), and mountain bike for 45 - 60 mins once a week.

Yoga, started it in 2018, keep it up in 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Could you re-measure that?

Right so did it again a couple of times and everytime it is about 48/49.

I don"t get dizzy spells or anything like that. I workout 4-5 times a week. When i am working out my bpm can go as high as 175 depending on how hard I am pushing it. Usually it is between 150 and 165 anything lower and i know I'm not pushing it.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Right so did it again a couple of times and everytime it is about 48/49.

I don"t get dizzy spells or anything like that. I workout 4-5 times a week. When i am working out my bpm can go as high as 175 depending on how hard I am pushing it. Usually it is between 150 and 165 anything lower and i know I'm not pushing it.

Hi Floppybits. Your resting HR looks fine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Hi Floppybits. Your resting HR looks fine anyway.

Well I guessed that, i was surprised it was that low. I was expecting it to be in the mid to late 50s. So am happy with that.

Now just to shift the weight so I am sleeker, faster model rather than the current turning circle of a cruise ship. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Goals

1. Lose 2.5 stone - Was 220 at Jan 1 2019 so get down to 185 (6'2)
    2. Build muscle at the same time - i have potential for a good athletic build so would be good to work on that.
    3. incorporate gym into my lifestyle so i don't fall off the wagon. So far going in mornings before work is working out great and I'm finding packing the clothes the night before really helps the temptation not to roll over in bed. I'm finding good benefits in my overall energy and a sense of accomplishment before even entering work. I just want to still be going to the Gym in december at the same rate I am Today.
    4. Aesthetically- if i accomplish 1+2 - be able to wear T shirts as they should be. Most of the weight accumulates around my middle so T shirts and tops dont tend to look well.
    5. Move up from my starter programs into the big boy gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fromescon1968

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Rinse and repeat of last years goals for me (Ruptured bicep in May put a halt to last year)

140 bench and 200 squat at 93kg (and then staying at or below that weight)

My goal for 2019 is to loose 3kg, to make my abs look nicer and to have the second baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fuddyduddy

Deano7788 wrote: »
    More my next goals rather than for the full year, but anyway (and all in comp):

Squat: 250kg. Should be achievable.
    Bench: 135kg. Bit more difficult, but bench has started to move really well the last while.
    Deadlift: 272.5kg (600lbs). Currently trialling sumo, so unsure of when but confident I’ll hit this in 2019 if I stay injury free.
    Total: at least 650kg.

Would also like to hit 400 wilks (even though the IPF won’t be using this anymore) and fill out the 105s more, currently weighing 98kg roughly.

Strong squat to bench ratio. Are you built for squatting or just find benching difficult? Impressive strength though!

My goals are:

140kg bench
    100kg standing OHP
    190kg HB ATG squat
    220kg+ deadlift

And then not be a complete fat **** at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Fuddyduddy wrote: »
    Strong squat to bench ratio. Are you built for squatting or just find benching difficult? Impressive strength though!

My goals are:

140kg bench
    100kg standing OHP
    190kg HB ATG squat
    220kg+ deadlift

And then not be a complete fat **** at the same time.

Bit of both to be honest. Definitely built for squatting out of the 3 lifts, very lower body dominant physique wise, although moving up a weight class is helping to address this somewhat.

Bench has always been my worst lift, but have managed to make good progress the past 13 months thankfully. Started out last year with a 105kg Bench, having failed 107.5kg in a comp the month before. Managed to hit 125kg in my October comp and it seems to have progressed even further since. Would be confident of hitting in the 130s in my next comp.

Did manage to add 55kg to my squat in the same time though :pac:. Doubt I’ll manage to do the same this year but did manage to equal my best triples on comp squat (202.5kg) from before October on low pin squats last night so that seems to be progressing well still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's a lot to add to your squat
    How many times a week you squat

Bit of both to be honest. Definitely built for squatting out of the 3 lifts, very lower body dominant physique wise, although moving up a weight class is helping to address this somewhat.

Bench has always been my worst lift, but have managed to make good progress the past 13 months thankfully. Started out last year with a 105kg Bench, having failed 107.5kg in a comp the month before. Managed to hit 125kg in my October comp and it seems to have progressed even further since. Would be confident of hitting in the 130s in my next comp.

Did manage to add 55kg to my squat in the same time though :pac:. Doubt I’ll manage to do the same this year but did manage to equal my best triples on comp squat (202.5kg) from before October on low pin squats last night so that seems to be progressing well still.

Pretty solid progress on everything though, even if you think you're lower body dominant; fair play!

What's your bench press frequency looking like? I had decent progress with higher 3 (sometimes even 4) days per week, and lots of variation between intensity and exercise selection.

For e.g Flat bench with normal grip one day with a given rep range and RPE, the next incline bench, the next flat again but with closer grip than usual.

The main thing is that weight is being added to the bar over time.

55kg added to your squat is insane; I wish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's a lot to add to your squat
    How many times a week you squat
    Pretty solid progress on everything though, even if you think you're lower body dominant; fair play!

What's your bench press frequency looking like? I had decent progress with higher 3 (sometimes even 4) days per week, and lots of variation between intensity and exercise selection.

For e.g Flat bench with normal grip one day with a given rep range and RPE, the next incline bench, the next flat again but with closer grip than usual.

The main thing is that weight is being added to the bar over time.

55kg added to your squat is insane; I wish!!

Squat and deadlift twice a week and bench 3 times. That’s what my coach has had me doing for the majority of the last year, with bench occasionally 4 times.

Starting numbers last year were 190/105/227.5 and hit 245/125/265 in October.

• Advertisement

Squat and deadlift twice a week and bench 3 times. That’s what my coach has had me doing for the majority of the last year, with bench occasionally 4 times.

Starting numbers last year were 190/105/227.5 and hit 245/125/265 in October.

Nice.

Another thing that I find helps pressing quite a bit is high volume assistance movements. Lots of overall delt/rear delt work.More mass to move mass so to speak and joints feel more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nice.

Another thing that I find helps pressing quite a bit is high volume assistance movements. Lots of overall delt/rear delt work.More mass to move mass so to speak and joints feel more stable.

I never found accessory/isolation work, even at high volumes, carried over to my bench.

Volume, yes...obviously, but through variations of benching rather than more isolation type work.

But I have a poor bench :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think they helped me
    I'm just terrible at actually doing them

I never found accessory/isolation work, even at high volumes, carried over to my bench.

Volume, yes...obviously, but through variations of benching rather than more isolation type work.

But I have a poor bench :)

I think the only thing that helped my bench was forgetting about pushing accessory lifts and throwing in a lot of upper back work. I still had a terrible bench but it improved.

they/them/theirs

I think the only thing that helped my bench was forgetting about pushing accessory lifts and throwing in a lot of upper back work. I still had a terrible bench but it improved.

Agree with this too. Feels a lot more stable with a bigger upper back to push from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Agree with this too. Feels a lot more stable with a bigger upper back to push from.

You seem strong enough yourself. Do you compete? What’s your current numbers? What weight are you, if you don’t mind me asking

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You seem strong enough yourself. Do you compete? What’s your current numbers? What weight are you, if you don’t mind me asking

I'm just building my strength back this year. Was never 'powerlifting' strong and only ever trained for one competition but I was a strength coach for 6 years.

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

Nothing spectacular but I do enjoy studying the science behind lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm just building my strength back this year. Was never 'powerlifting' strong and only ever trained for one competition but I was a strength coach for 6 years.

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

There some big pressing numbers

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

Our squat and deadlift numbers are similar.

Our pressing numbers are not so similar :D

• Advertisement

I would always have a fair bit of pulling work in there. Just felt that the difference was more volume with bench variations.

Advertisement