Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

tobey wrote: »
    Hello lads. Anyone hear anything outside Dublin?

Galway nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JellyMelly

Nothing here for Sligo yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Do newbies get to drive the 071 trains.

Tbh the sound they make is whats made me want to apply. From a young age.

Although its not looking likely at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If I promise to stop slagging off CIE will they let me drive their trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Do newbies get to drive the 071 trains.

Tbh the sound they make is whats made me want to apply. From a young age.

Although its not looking likely at the moment .

Probally depends on location and the need. Chances are DMU training followed by loco if the depot uses them regularly or more experienced drivers retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Does anyone know if they took CVs for all 100 drivers now are is that being done in stages. Press releases stated 100 jobs over 4-5 years so wondering if they will re advertise job again in say 6 months to a year down the road ?

They are hardly going to offer all the jobs now.....or did they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They haven't taken anyone's CV. They're are running tests to narrow down the applicants find suitable people first, CVs etc will happen once they've done that.

More than 17500 people have applied so I'd be amazed if they can't get 100 suitable people from a pool that size. I highly doubt they'll advertise again but that said, are many people who applied this time willing to wait around for a job for a few years? Not likely either.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Ah well I will keep an eye out. Missed hearing about these jobs until it was too late :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

superg wrote: »
    They haven't taken anyone's CV. They're are running tests to narrow down the applicants find suitable people first, CVs etc will happen once they've done that.

More than 17500 people have applied so I'd be amazed if they can't get 100 suitable people from a pool that size. I highly doubt they'll advertise again but that said, are many people who applied this time willing to wait around for a job for a few years? Not likely either.

According to my next door neighbour who is a train driver with IR, they were told just under 10,000 applied and that nearly half that never got passed stage one, dunno how true it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Panels usually remain live for 2 years. Or until all vacancies are filled.

Everyone that passed stage two will be called to reaffirm their score by taking the tests again. I imagine this will cut more numbers as you can be sure lots got assistance with answering.added to this stage 3 will have some extra tests which will cut numbers even further.

Stage 4 should consist of application form/cv again some may be cut at this stage.

Stage 5 will be interview, more will be cut from this. Those that get through interview will be placed on panel in order of merit, and offered positions based on their place on the panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Has anyone received any rejection email yet that hasn’t heard back from stage two?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I’d of thought they would have reopened the application again in the future, if they are taking on over 4-5 years, and taking on only a few batches at a time, they would hardly go over old applications from people who may no longer be interested or even alive? Maybe I’m wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

billie1b wrote:
    According to my next door neighbour who is a train driver with IR, they were told just under 10,000 applied and that nearly half that never got passed stage one, dunno how true it is

One of the drivers in this thread told us 17500 had applied up to the Friday which was a week and a half before the deadline so it could easily way more than even the 17500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Anyone get confirmation of their assessment time?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

dar100 wrote: »
    Panels usually remain live for 2 years. Or until all vacancies are filled.

Everyone that passed stage two will be called to reaffirm their score by taking the tests again. I imagine this will cut more numbers as you can be sure lots got assistance with answering.added to this stage 3 will have some extra tests which will cut numbers even further.

Stage 4 should consist of application form/cv again some may be cut at this stage.

Stage 5 will be interview, more will be cut from this. Those that get through interview will be placed on panel in order of merit, and offered positions based on their place on the panel

Great to have such an expert on everything on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Clever8619 wrote: »
    Great to have such an expert on everything on this thread.

Feeling threatened for your user name?

Firstly, this is how all civil and public services including semi state institutions run campaigns for potential candidates, I've been through the process previously.

Secondly, I'm trained in psychometric assessment , personality and occupational, both of which are utilised in this campaign.

I'm far from an expert on everything, that said, if you don't want the helpful advise that I have taken time to compile, that's fine. However, your little smart remarks based on your low self esteem and inferiority complex are not welcome.

In other words, touch on pal

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

khaldrogo wrote: »

I replied on the evening of the 17th and they confirmed at lunchtime on the 18th.....

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Meanman

Just wondering does anyone know what would be the best site to go on to purchase practice tests. They are such a big part of all public service jobs nowadays it would be money well spent.

thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I applied more out of curiosity around the tests involved. I should have put down Dublin but didn’t. Would be nice to have given first and second preference. I am fairly confident about the tests and doing the job but suspect a minor medical thing will rule me out.

The questions should be issued to existing drivers as a small few could do with a refresher about what the company are looking for....

Its really an eye opener about what the company want to portray but the reality is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Replied Friday afternoon, did not get a confirmation e-mail yet. I hope I will get an e-mail tomorrow as they probably knocked off early on the Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Are there any lines/trains that people prefer to be driving?
    What about doing freight runs? Is that only for the highly experienced drivers or is it very unsocial work hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jdelaney93

Best of luck to all who got emails. I’m hoping there possibly calling people by the depot as I’m yet to hear anyone be called from Cork. Keep me posted lads and ladies.

Also anyone receive a rejection email ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 clare3

Anyone for Limerick hear anything? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

it looks like they are making seperate panels, dublin first etc

I still have not got a confirmation email with regards to a time slot on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I'm starting to worry....they still haven't confirmed the assessment time I chose. I've taken the time off work so if they don't confirm I'm still going to show up!

I emailed them last Fri to say what time I wanted but I didn't confirm I had received the practice info. They emailed me confirming they got my emailed and asking for me to confirm I got the practice info. I emailed them right back and confirmed everything but they never replied to say whether the time I picked was ok or not.

Is anyone else still waiting for their time to be confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

dar100 wrote: »
    Feeling threatened for your user name?

Firstly, this is how all civil and public services including semi state institutions run campaigns for potential candidates, I've been through the process previously.

Secondly, I'm trained in psychometric assessment , personality and occupational, both of which are utilised in this campaign.

I'm far from an expert on everything, that said, if you don't want the helpful advise that I have taken time to compile, that's fine. However, your little smart remarks based on your low self esteem and inferiority complex are not welcome.

In other words, touch on pal

Wow. Thanks for the detailed response. Which actually shows your low self esteem and inferiority complex. I'm guessing even with your broad knowledge of recruitment processes relating to the Civil Service you've not yet made the grade in one of these competitions.

Good luck in this one.

PS name is a typo.

I'm starting to worry....they still haven't confirmed the assessment time I chose. I've taken the time off work so if they don't confirm I'm still going to show up!

I emailed them last Fri to say what time I wanted but I didn't confirm I had received the practice info. They emailed me confirming they got my emailed and asking for me to confirm I got the practice info. I emailed them right back and confirmed everything but they never replied to say whether the time I picked was ok or not.

Is anyone else still waiting for their time to be confirmed?

I'm starting to think they didn't get my email. I replied late Friday, I informed them I received the practice info and asked for a time on Friday. I got no email at all since, not even a confirmation one :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm starting to think they didn't get my email. I replied late Friday, I informed them I received the practice info and asked for a time on Friday. I got no email at all since, not even a confirmation one :/

Same here, I'd say their just trying to get through them been so many

Advertisement