Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BDO Lake World Championship

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Best Lakeside tournament for a long time. Suzuki in the womens being the first asian winner will help promote BDO and womens darts in general. Durrant 3 time world champion in the mens. Anyone who can do 3 times has to be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

Does durrant get a PDC card or does he have to go q school?
    Was there a thing years ago where the BDO winner got a tour card if he jumped ship or am I raving?

They used to offer tour cards to 4 semi finalists but stopped it mayby 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Hunred

These things happen. Mistakes are easily made. I mean look at the title of this thread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

She played in the 2018 pdc world cup an got whooped let's not get carried away now.

That was a Chinese woman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tarzann wrote: »
    That was a Chinese woman.

Correct, that was Momo Zhou of China. Mikuru Suzuki has never played in a PDC event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Correct, that was Momo Zhou of China. Mikuru Suzuki has never played in a PDC event.

During the World Cup Momo Zhou hilariously celebrated an opponent missing darts at double, Wayne Mardle pointed it out at the time, was harmless but very funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ieELXMamEM

Suzuki has played on the 2018 PDC Asian men's tour but finished well down the rankings.

https://www.pdc.tv/asian-tour-order-merit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Tarzann wrote: »
    During the World Cup Momo Zhou hilariously celebrated an opponent missing darts at double, Wayne Mardle pointed it out at the time, was harmless but very funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ieELXMamEM

:D looks like she forgot about the cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Fantastic achievement from Durrant. Really is a quality player.

He’s probably getting on a bit to give the PDC a proper bash. Takes time to move up that two year ranking list.

If he was younger I have no doubts he would be a top 5 player. Has great bottle under pressure, you can’t teach that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Good interview here with the Duzza outlining his future plans.

I've always been very impressed by him, he's meticulous and dedicated in his approach to the game, acting like a professional in a semi pro system.

You're not going to see Duzza propping up the bar all day before a match like some of the other players at Lakeside this year.
    I wish him the best of luck in Q school. With his attitude he could get another decent 5-7 yrs out of his game.
    Going to be a huge loss to the BDO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Advertisement

Good interview here with the Duzza outlining his future plans.

I've always been very impressed by him, he's meticulous and dedicated in his approach to the game, acting like a professional in a semi pro system.

You're not going to see Duzza propping up the bar all day before a match like some of the other players at Lakeside this year.
    I wish him the best of luck in Q school. With his attitude he could get another decent 5-7 yrs out of his game.
    Going to be a huge loss to the BDO.

Think he'll be defined by the 3 Lakeside victories. The demands of the PDC events might take it's toll on him. People half his age struggle with it.

He has the right attitude for sure so will be interesting how he gets on.

He'll be a loss to the BDO but it looks like they might have stopped the rot as a sporting body. The lifting of restrictions was a radical move on their part and in general the coverage this year in many ways was far and away better than the last few years.

A new venue might also entice some of the youth players to give the World Championship a go. Would be no harm if the utterly awful no hopers like Robson and Montgomery disappeared now.

It's baffling how Big Robbo was once doing exbo's with Gary Anderson as if some sort of equal icon10.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

shockframe wrote: »

A new venue might also entice some of the youth players to give the World Championship a go. Would be no harm if the utterly awful no hopers like Robson and Montgomery disappeared now.

It's baffling how Big Robbo was once doing exbo's with Gary Anderson as if some sort of equal icon10.png

Ah here now, that's 'The Boss' you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Have a feeling Durant won't get a card. Obviously hes good enough but its 4 long days with lots of games, just coming down off the lakeside buzz as well. Looking forward to it this year .

I'm not sure getting a card is the best thing for Durrant.

The only issue is if he doesn't ever play PDC the question will always be asked.

not getting a card would be a total disaster for him and bdo
    their world champ cant get through q school , hed never live it down

he will find it hard because hes big scalp to take , think he gets one in first 2 days , hes far to good

he knows he needs to do pdc to prove to himself hes good enough , otherwise it will always be what ifs
    hes quit the job at end of month - hes put all his cards in the pdc basket
    huge pressure now

sc86 wrote: »
    not getting a card would be a total disaster for him and bdo
    their world champ cant get through q school , hed never live it down

he will find it hard because hes big scalp to take , think he gets one in first 2 days , hes far to good

he knows he needs to do pdc to prove to himself hes good enough , otherwise it will always be what ifs
    hes quit the job at end of month - hes put all his cards in the pdc basket
    huge pressure now

Not so sure it would be disastrous for the BDO.

If anything this year might be where it is rejuvenated. It's pretty much called a truce with the PDC.

Anyone who doesn't get a tour card can now enter its events and play on the PDC challenge and/or development tour. Had it happened sooner the likes of say Aspinall and Humphries could have been at Lakeside over the years and would help its standing.

The biggest disaster for the BDO has for a while been it's image. More Guineys to the PDC's JD Sports. That's the key thing that needs to keep improving.

There was a bit of change how things were done this year. No interviews with players in the bar, no stupid Tony Green digs at the PDC or stale yawkshire John 'Gimmicks' Walton chit chat, offensive jokes by the MC, talks of a meat raffle or Chelsea pensioners/Bingo types.

Granted there was the hunred mistake but you can allow the occasional mis-step given its only starting out. It won't be easy to rebuild given the PDC's profile but it has nothing to lose now.

it would be a disaster for the bdo credibility itself if current world champ failed to get through q school 5 days later
    it would make a farce of the title - world champion
    that was my point

i think he gets through easy anyway

i agree this years event coverage was huge improvement

it would be a disaster for the bdo credibility itself if current world champ failed to get through q school 5 days later
    it would make a farce of the title - world champion
    that was my point

i think he gets through easy anyway

i agree this years event coverage was huge improvement

What if he beat current PDC players like Jenkins or Murnan and lost all his games to BDO players like Mcgeeney,Williams etc and didnt qualify?:D

lol - justincredible darts would have field day either way

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

lol - justincredible darts would have field day either way

I think he would like to see Durrant qualify, he seems to be the only BDO player he has any regard for.

It was a shame the way he covered the Lakeside, he waited all week to post his daily reports and there was just too much in it to bother reading at that stage. Day by day reporting would have been much better. He's still a great read though, I always look forward to Knob of The Week :D

• Advertisement

Comparison
    Average winning leg at 2019 World Championships

PDC: 15.56 darts

BDO: 16.29 darts

6 visits each

Small margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Comparison

6 visits each

Small margins.
    Is that including the first round in the PDV version? For a true comparison it should really only include the games from the last 32 onwards in both versions.

Comparison

6 visits each

Small margins.

92 players in pdc i think
    40 in bdo ?

Them stats mean nothing

Its a true reflection of the tournaments overall. You can't deny facts. I'd like to see the stats from maybe quarters on myself.

I posted it to show how small the margins are. 1 dart a leg is the difference between 100 and 93 average.

Just 2 (two) ton plus average players in the whole PDC tournament, was amazed at that.

i dont see how compare a event with 40 players to another with 92 makes any difference

compare last 32 in each stats again each other for sure

theres people who think the standard is the same now because of these stats
    it was the worst pdc champ in recent years , standard wise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Its a true reflection of the tournaments overall. You can't deny facts. I'd like to see the stats from maybe quarters on myself.

I posted it to show how small the margins are. 1 dart a leg is the difference between 100 and 93 average.

Just 2 (two) ton plus average players in the whole PDC tournament, was amazed at that.

It's not a true reflection. By your reasoning if there were 1000 players in the PDC version including those with a 40 average you would be saying the BDO version is best because it took less darts to finsh a game on average than in the PDC.

Any comparison of both would probably be best done from last 64 in Ally Pally to last 32 in Lakeside. Both stages are where everyone has played at least 1 game. Could be classed as the 1st Round for both tournaments.

That said there's more to it when it comes to darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Duzza got a PDC card at Q school via the order of merit. 5 players from the BDO got cards this week.
    I wonder will they all take on the challenge. A lot to be said for being guaranteed a wage every friday doing a 9-5 . Now they are solely dependant on earnings from darts. Could be a huge challenge or a huge mistake...here's hoping it's not the latter for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

millhouse wrote: »
    Duzza got a PDC card at Q school via the order of merit. 5 players from the BDO got cards this week.
    I wonder will they all take on the challenge. A lot to be said for being guaranteed a wage every friday doing a 9-5 . Now they are solely dependant on earnings from darts. Could be a huge challenge or a huge mistake...here's hoping it's not the latter for all involved.

Well I think Durrant will be ok for at least the first year after he picked up that cheque for winning the Lakeside Championship this year :D, but agree it is a big step for any player to give up their main source of income. If you don't go for it you will never know :D

• Advertisement

Well I think Durrant will be ok for at least the first year after he picked up that cheque for winning the Lakeside Championship this year :D, but agree it is a big step for any player to give up their main source of income. If you don't go for it you will never know :D

If he does leave his job he'll walk back into it whenever he decides he's had enough of the tour.

Advertisement