Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Impact of Luas Cross City

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

check_six wrote: »
    Well, yes, that is what they said, but I still feel that you shouldn't be allowed to throw up any old rubbish on signs all over Dublin and get away with it because somehow you can write anything on a 'safety notice'.

I agree of course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would Dublin City Council be the appropriate place for such a complaint if you feel it is needed? They do act when they receive complaints about shop fronts or houses with inappropriate displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

papu wrote: »
    423991.jpg
    voila

Marvellous. In an ideal world I would include the shadow of the Luas with its slavering jaws and wickedly sharp teeth, but this is a terrific start.

Can we add to the list of slogans?
    "Unlike your bike, Luas Trams always leave the cap off the toothpaste."

"Unlike your bike, Luas Trams don't separate their recycling materials."

"Unlike your bike, Luas Trams have a string of outstanding warrants for a variety of antisocial behaviour, including, but not limited to, kicking a pigeon."

All critical safety concerns, so they all get a pass for posting up around the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

check_six wrote: »
    Marvellous. In an ideal world I would include the shadow of the Luas with its slavering jaws and wickedly sharp teeth, but this is a terrific start.

Can we add to the list of slogans?
    "Unlike your bike, Luas Trams always leave the cap off the toothpaste."

"Unlike your bike, Luas Trams don't separate their recycling materials."

"Unlike your bike, Luas Trams have a string of outstanding warrants for a variety of antisocial behaviour, including, but not limited to, kicking a pigeon."

All critical safety concerns, so they all get a pass for posting up around the city!

424004.jpg424005.jpg
    424006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    My mid summers resolution is not to engage with militant, half baked, SJW posts from people who know as much about cycling as my mams cat.

Quite a stunning non-sequitar.

Were you drunk when you wrote that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Its a reasonable response to anyone who would rather whinge on the internet rather then get out and do something about a problem in the real world.
    If that's directed at me, you couldn't be further off the mark. But why you would make such an assumption is a bit of a mystery in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Tram/bicycle integration report left to gather dust for years

http://irishcycle.com/2017/08/05/trambicycle-integration-report-left-to-gather-dust-for-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Pretty nasty to watch tbh, but could be the future for some of the Luas crossings?

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/08/the-brutal-saga-of-one-very-poorly-designed-railroad-crossing/535926

Quite a stunning non-sequitar.

Were you drunk when you wrote that?
    If that's directed at me, you couldn't be further off the mark. But why you would make such an assumption is a bit of a mystery in any case.

MOD VOICE: This has already been dealt with, the next person to reply to that line of posting can take a holiday from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In that video, many of the crashes (well some I didn't count them all) occurred on the second on the two rails. Why? Nothing seem to change so why would the cyclists be able to get over the 1st rail but then fall at the second?

If they made it over the 1st, then they must have done something "right". So we can assume that they would do roughly the same for the second.

Not sure I'm making much sense but would it be normal that the second rail is actually the more dangerous?

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    In that video, many of the crashes (well some I didn't count them all) occurred on the second on the two rails. Why? Nothing seem to change so why would the cyclists be able to get over the 1st rail but then fall at the second?

If they made it over the 1st, then they must have done something "right". So we can assume that they would do roughly the same for the second.

Not sure I'm making much sense but would it be normal that the second rail is actually the more dangerous?

Pedaling by the looks of it in many cases. I could be wrong but it did look like, at least a few of them, sort of free wheeled and once they cleared the first, decided that they could push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I think it's because the cyclists can cross the first rail at a wide angle whilst still remaining inside the cycle lane/hard shoulder but to continue at the same angle while crossing the second rail would bring the cyclist into the traffic lane. Hence people are trying to steer while crossing the second rail. In a lot of instances it's the back wheel which is being caught, which suggests the cyclists are trying to steer themselves back into the cycle lane before they have fully cleared the rails.

It's a horrible, horrible layout but I suspect we're going to be confronted with something similar around the junctions of Parnell Street and O'Connell Street when the new Luas is fully operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

buffalo wrote: »
    Pretty nasty to watch tbh, but could be the future for some of the Luas crossings?

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/08/the-brutal-saga-of-one-very-poorly-designed-railroad-crossing/535926

I've just noticed that the crash at 0:52 involves two cops on bicycles!

I see that quite a few are from the front wheel sliding along the rail, rather than the wheel getting caught in the track. That's how I fell in the rain on the Luas track outside St. James's. I should have used the equivalent of the "jug handle", as they put it there, but using that meant losing priority at the entrance of the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I saw a moped down at the northern end of O'Connell St yesterday, along the new LUAS tracks. Looked nasty, involving a neck brace for one of the couple involved. If it's taking down mopeds I'd imagine we're going to see an awful lot of cycles in bother - the article above is good on the reason being acute angles and especially in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One of the only near-falls I had on a luas line occurred on the second track - when my front wheel wen tonto the second line, my rear wheel did so too at the same time. So there was a wheel on each track for a split-second, and made the whole bike slip about six inches left. Luckily forward momentum kept me moving forward off the tracks so I could recover.

The angle of these tracks would seem to lend itself to the same issue, though clearly many of these incidents involved only the one track.

This was the first Luas Cross City thread I saw.

Not sure this is 100% applicable, but it's a pretty neat way to help cyclists cross tram tracks at the correct angle and place:
    https://twitter.com/Streetfilms/status/1010672122144976898

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Advertisement