Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ninja mode this morning. Lots of layers, balaclava and neck warmer found the right balance.

The reheats in my tor’s was painful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Road was wet but not icy even though temps were around 1 degree. It was cold, tested out the merino wool tights from Aldi (decent enough).

Yesterday evening though, looked fine when i was leaving the office, got past the first 100 metres and the heavens opened. Was fairly soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

got down as low as -0.6 degrees on my Garmin this morning on Alfie Byrne road! the cycle track looked frosted there but didn't feel slippery. other than the headwind it was a beautiful morning to be out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Put in a little over 30km on the bullitt this morning, wrapped up well so didn't feel the cold but noticed it in my legs, and the handling of the bike with the front tyre noticeably understeering a couple of times.

60km on it yesterday and i think I'm feeling that in my legs today on top of the cold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

36km last night with two guys from the club, down as low as -1c in parts but nice enough out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

got down as low as -0.6 degrees on my Garmin this morning on Alfie Byrne road! the cycle track looked frosted there but didn't feel slippery. other than the headwind it was a beautiful morning to be out :)

It’s the only road I passed that morning where the Grady area was covered in white frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Swords to Drogheda this morning on the club Thursday spin. Largely stayed on the R132 which was horrible. Terrible surface, lots of potholes and constant passing traffic. Despite the odd pool of ice off-road, the road surface was frost-free which was why we were there rather than on the back roads.
    After a much needed coffee and mini-breakfast at Bia, we headed for the thawed out back roads and had a super spin home via Stamullen, Balscadden and Man O'War. What a difference a few degrees, thawed hands and quiet roads can make :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the aldi neoprene gloves did a decent enough job this morning.
    little bit warmer (well, about 3C warmer) on the way home, and i think i found their achilles heel. they don't exactly breathe. sweaty hands, and that was at about 3 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

First 100km of the new year, strong wind against me for the first 45km, got the benefit of it after that...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2091339947

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Did a post dose spin yesterday, just a 45km out by blessington , the 3 castles loop around small lake back to manor Kilbride and home. Agv 26kph

Today, headed to ballycanew, Gorey, out old N11 to Arklow, woodenbridge, Aughrim, left turn over Annagh Gap, Hollyfort, Gorey, ballycanew and home.
    P
    91 km avg 25.4 kph

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Regular spin up to the Hellfire via Masseys at lunch. Lovely weather for a climb, but felt truly bitter on the way back down. Garmin died on the way out the door, so no stats, but actually felt quite good throughout the climb for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

smacl wrote: »
    Regular spin up to the Hellfire via Masseys at lunch. Lovely weather for a climb, but felt truly bitter on the way back down. Garmin died on the way out the door, so no stats,but actually felt quite good throughout the climb for a change.

That's a pity, it would have been a nice day for a spin.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That's a pity, it would have been a nice day for a spin.

Guess I'll just have to go out and do it again tomorrow :)

• Rode 6km to a wake yesterday and got there early one of the first to arrive. Now I don't have a sweet tooth but put sandwiches in front of me and a pot of tea. Ended up walking 5 of the 6 km home after I got the stitch from hell.

Another one to go to tomorrow, I'll drive I think.

smacl wrote: »
    Guess I'll just have to go out and do it again tomorrow :)

Back up there today, though the 810 is doing some weird stuff after the last update, time for a factory reset methinks. Damp, cold and muddy, but enjoyable for all that and so much better for the head than the turbo.

471113.JPG

• Had an appointment in Dundalk at lunchtime with my partner, decided I'd I cycle back and have my partner take the car home so stuck the bike on the rack and packed my gear.

One of the best days I've had on the bike in a long time. Unfamiliar roads Dundalk to Castlebellingham on the r132 then sharp left and out to Annagassen and head back to Drogheda along the coast. I say unfamiliar as I've near rode these north south before.

I won't say I've had worries but have had a few things niggling me in the last while and it's unreal how things seem to resolve themselves and make sense when I'm out on the bike.

Had a near spill though which brought me back to here and now with a bang when I crossed some muck left by a tractor. Only just caught the rear and stayed upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Decided - "damn the weather", lets go for a cycle.
    Drimnagh to tallaght, Bohernabreena, ballinascorney, around to the N81, and back home.
    The wind, as ever was a fecker, so bad that i was having to push myself on a downhill section.
    I also forgot to put on my overshoes, so i was soaked and frozen when i got home.

Changed the lenses on my Oakleys to the clear ones, forgot them too, got home and was relaying this to my wife, took off my helmet and she smugly says "Those glasses on your head?"

Despite the water, wind and forgetfulness, really enjoyed it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2104356059/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1548510352&utm_source=com.samsung.android.app.memo&utm_medi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just in from commuting back from work. Worst. Headwind. Ever. I have pins n needles in my arms and hands now from gripping the bars so tight as I was getting blown all over the shop.
    Not a fun ride...

One of the best days I've had on the bike in a long time. Unfamiliar roads Dundalk to Castlebellingham on the r132 then sharp left and out to Annagassen and head back to Drogheda along the coast. I say unfamiliar as I've near rode these north south before.

Tha Caslebellingham to Drogheda coastal route is great especially on a clear winter's day with a bit of a north-easterly. The last time I did it I included the loop out to Blackrock after leaving Dundalk and then headed inland to Dromiskin en route to Castlebellingham. Anything to avoid the R132 even though that's by no means the worst part of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bit blustery out there this morning! cool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

we approached Ballyboughal from the Nags head today only to see plumes of smoke further down the road, as we approached there were 4 fire brigades there dousing a house, looked like the roof was gone. Hope there were no serious injuries or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Luxman wrote: »
    we approached Ballyboughal from the Nags head today only to see plumes of smoke further down the road, as we approached there were 4 fire brigades there dousing a house, looked like the roof was gone. Hope there were no serious injuries or worse.

The dog died :(:(:(

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1089541741139714050

RIP the dog.

Bit worrying that the Fire Brigade think they were in Baldoyle and not Ballyboughal ��

Thanks to RobertFoster below, I now see that it was a case of ED E getting his tweets wrong and not of DFB getting lost. Not much consolation for the poor dog unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

So, Cycling to work tomorrow morning (in the dark). Haven't cycled in the dark in 20 years, Just been in Halfords and got a 500 lumen front light and 100 lumen back light. Bit Jittery looking and weather forecast at 7am saying -1, cold doesn't bother me but anyone think it could be icey ?, that coupled with first cycle in the dark in a long time has me thinking of taking the car..

I'm just being a wimp ain't I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Cold but dry this morning...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2106865836

what time was that at?

not yet wrote: »
    I'm just being a wimp ain't I ?
    as the roads are dry, black ice should not be a concern.
    i don't think -1 should be enough to produce much ice on the roads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

what time was that at?
    I’d estimate around 1230pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I’d estimate around 1230pm
    I approached from the Ballyboughal side and had to turn back as there was a fire engine blocking the road at ~12:05. I took a left at the pub and the wind was carrying the smoke over to that road.

The fire in Baldoyle mentioned above is a different fire. DFB have tweeted about the one near Ballyboughal since.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1089599454049697792

In other news, magicbastarder said hello to me according to Strava Flyby ;)

• Advertisement

i was heading southbound through ballyboughal probably about 11:15, according to strava.
    where would I have passed you? i was wearing a dayglo yellow btwin top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement