Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spray kitchen or go for a new one?

Options
  • 19-01-2019 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

We have just bought a new house. We don't really like the kitchen. It's solid wood and seems of good standard to us. We just don't like the 'wood' look. We are in two minds. We need to get a new counter top and we are going to get an island installed. We just don't know if its better to spray the kitchen that's there, or get it pulled out and start from scratch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Spraying will essentially give you a "new" kitchen at a fraction of the cost ( mind you I'm biased cos I do this for a living :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

dok_golf wrote: »
    Spraying will essentially give you a "new" kitchen at a fraction of the cost ( mind you I'm biased cos I do this for a living :-))

Do you wanna send me a pm. I could have a job for you then. Maybe I could just get a price. In carlow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Spray it.

I got a second hand custom wood kitchen installed myself and resprayed it.

Looks very expensive and brand new .you'd be wasting money replacing it and probably with something less quality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

We replaced work top and sprayed the whole kitchen units just before xmas. The units were not solid wood but MDF with a plastic coating. Coating was stripped and doors and units primed and finished. Really pleased with outcome it's a whole new kitchen. Would certainly recommended this approach but make sure you get an experienced sprayer as some jobs can turn into a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Do you wanna send me a pm. I could have a job for you then. Maybe I could just get a price. In carlow area.

Im in Galway Unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

The outcome may depend on the style of door. Some styles look old no matter what colour they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Im in the same boat, looking to update the oak kitchen. but its very good solid pippy oak and im a bit worried.

Ive seen some if those resprays and they can look almost "plastic" for want of a better word. I would reckon a lot of it would be down to the skill of the resprayer. J was getting quotes from 800 to 1500 for a small enough kitchen

Ive decided to repaint the walls change the handles and splashback and then see how it looks before getting rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A lot will depend on whether paint or lacquer is used,cellouse lacquer will give a more plastic look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will you get doors on the island to exactly match the existing doors ?? If so then spraying seems an option.

If they will be different in styling then it will never look like a new kitchen if that is the look your going for.

Advertisement