Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rab Duck down semi waterproof lightweight sleeping bag

• 17-01-2019 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey looking for this sleeping bag and cant seem to find it, its the new Rab duck Down sleeping bag thats semi waterproof or something, and lightweight, also I'm wondering does it go down to - 10 degrees comfort and -15 degrees extreme.
    I want to do some hiking/camping in the Dublin mountains over the next few months other than that, anyone recommend other light sleeping bags for that kind of weather, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sounds like one of the Rab Ascent bags.

rab sleeping bags

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Sounds like one of the Rab Ascent bags.

rab sleeping bags

€270 on Amazon website, that's a bit of cash, looks like exactly what I was looking for, do you have experience of this yourself light enough when carrying - Ireland can have a lot of moisture in its environment, anything else needed for protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I have the Rab ascent 700. Great bag, but it's not waterproof. The down is treated to stay dry-ish and to dry out quicker, however it's a down bag, so getting it wet makes it useless enough. I camp in a tent so not overly concerned.

The comfort rating is -2, but you need to factor in if you 'run' hot or cold as well. I've slept in it in what the forecast said was -13 or -14 and the only cold I felt was from the crap mat I had, and that was my fault for cheaping out.

I'd certainly recommend it as a bag, but if you're naturally a colder person then you might want a little bit 'more bag' if you're planning on full snow camping. Or you can always just wear and extra layer when you sleep.

Comfort rating -2ºC
    Limit of Comfort rating -8.5ºC
    Extreme rating -27ºC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Kraft.l wrote: »
    €270 on Amazon website, that's a bit of cash,

Some of the outdoor stores will give you a 10% discount if you're a member of a club, they may not require proof...

I got mine in Cotswold Outdoor in Dublin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

There's a sale on in Rock and Run on Mountain Hardwear synthetic bags, most of them half price. I looked at them before I got my Rab Ascent, as I was looking for down.

Not sure if they are waterproof, but the well worth a look at those prices.

Rock and Run

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

In general.....(without Googling), you won't find a waterproof sleeping bag. The best you can do is put your down/synthetic sleeping bag inside a Bivi Bag (waterproof). More kit, more weight, more expense.

Modern down bags can come treated, ie. the down itself. Skins are generally Pertex material which is highly breathable, for a reason.

Assuming you're sleeping in a tent, condensation is going to occur if there is low cloud and/or it's misty or raining.

So....it's out with the bag the minute you get home and air it somewhere nice and warm. Spare room or something. Outside is better if the weather is good.

Then.... I store the bag loose or over a clothes line as long as possible(before the missus gets on my case....currently :) ). I have mine in the front room draped over the couch for the last month or so ;)

I washed my down bag a couple of months ago......in the washing machine with Woolite (delicates/wool cycle) Came out perfect. Dried outside on top of a clothes horse and was seemingly dry in a few days. Nice.

Advertisement