Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorola G6 problem

• 17-01-2019 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

need a sanity check please. Got herself a G6 for Christmas and it has started dropping signal, its an Eir sim. Took sim out put it in a spare S6 i had. No signal drop....aha i thought.
    But when i put my Sim in the G6,Vodafone, no signal loss.
    Is it the G6? i am currently confused.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it an official eir phone, might not be fully compatible with the network if not.
    You could try resetting the network settings, talk to eir support as well, also get a new SIM card.
    Failing all that it's either faulty or not compatible with Eir.
    Have you contacted Motorola support?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Not an official Eir phone, got it sim free from Amazon. Was working fine until Yesterday.
    Sim card was new Beginning of December as she needed a Nano sim. Still worth a new one?
    She spoke to Eir today who said all was well at their end but she has had issues in the past with getting knocked off the network but not as bad as this.
    Would it being incompatible with the network not just prevent it registering?
    Have not spoken to Motorola yet.

Networks test phones on their networks before putting them out for sale. Some fail but that's not to say the Motorola doesn't work well on err.
    Have you any other network sim to try in it besides err..

as above put my vodafone sim in it and it seems ok. thats whats puzzling me

Just doesn't like eir then. Can happen. Have you all the network modes turned on with the eir SIM, switch off 4g and see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I got the missus the same phone last year with the same issue you have on Eir, there are 2 different systems the sims use (so the agent told me) when I called to report it and I just needed to get a new SIM ordered on the newest system, which they arranged postage for over the phone - issue solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Networks test phones on their networks before putting them out for sale. Some fail but that's not to say the Motorola doesn't work well on err.
    Have you any other network sim to try in it besides err..
    Just doesn't like eir then. Can happen. Have you all the network modes turned on with the eir SIM, switch off 4g and see what it's like.

This is tripe. The GSM Consortium/3GPPP et al have set out standards for everything in the cellular stack. There's no need for compatibility testing. All networks do is add their own bloat or decide if its a product they'd like to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are four regional models:
    LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600) - Europe

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100) - USA

LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 28(700) - Brazil

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 18(800), 19(800), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500) - India

Brazilian and indian models dont support B20 so may have issues with reduced 4G coverage but that normally won't impact coverage.

Confirm by the full model number that its EU/US. Then I'd try what advertsfox suggested. If it perhaps gives "no sim" messages then you could try a plastic shim if the tray isnt snug.

Update..went into Eir shop today and showed them the message advertfox posted. she said that didn't seem likely as a sim is a sim...gave us a new sim anyway just to try.
    So far its working fine and hasn't dropped yet.
    Going to keep an eye on it and if its all good after a day or two i will report back.

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Update..went into Eir shop today and showed them the message advertfox posted. she said that didn't seem likely as a sim is a sim...gave us a new sim anyway just to try.
    So far its working fine and hasn't dropped yet.
    Going to keep an eye on it and if its all good after a day or two i will report back.
    It's now been over 2 days since you got the new SIM, any drops this time?

They definitely do have 2 internal systems their SIMs use (most likely due to the Eir / Meteor merger) so issues like this with signal drops are usually the SIM. A new SIM in the shop could be sitting their months, a SIM is just a SIM in general - they just assign the ID to your mobile number but theres more too it.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    It's now been over 2 days since you got the new SIM, any drops this time?

They definitely do have 2 internal systems their SIMs use (most likely due to the Eir / Meteor merger) so issues like this with signal drops are usually the SIM. A new SIM in the shop could be sitting their months, a SIM is just a SIM in general - they just assign the ID to your mobile number but theres more too it.
    It dropped yesterday... restart and fine until this morning...no signal. Restart and ok now.
    So now its either Port to vodafone or send the phone back are the options being considered here.

sundodger5 wrote: »
    It dropped yesterday... restart and fine until this morning...no signal. Restart and ok now.
    So now its either Port to vodafone or send the phone back are the options being considered here.
    Might I also recommend the plastic shim that ED E has recommended, just in case it's not keeping contact with the SIM connection. After all this, if it is still happening - get back onto Amazon and report it, it's still in warranty.

Advertisement