Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

brianmax88 wrote: »
    Has anyone done a self build using the rebuilding ireland home loan? Can i get the loan approved before i have full planning?

We have, no I dont think so we had to produce planning and conditions etc. But maybe your county is different

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭brianmax88

We have, no I dont think so we had to produce planning and conditions etc. But maybe your county is different

When did you recieve the stage payments? Did they look for receipts for material and labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Lee3b

Hi everyone I have ranted on here plenty of times .... Just had to inform all of the process we applied in June and our mortgage was drawn down yesterday the 18th .... It's a long process very stressful ... buy without it I would never buy a home with having 2 children the banks would never have looked at us for what we needed. So this is a bit of good feedback for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DanyTargaryen

Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply for the Rebuilding Ireland home loan as a single applicant. As part of the application, you have to include letters of insufficient finance from 2 banks/building societies i.e. to get say a 250,000 loan from rebuilding ireland, you need to show that you wouldn't get a 250,00 loan from other traditional mortgage providers.

It makes sense except I'm having trouble obtaining proof from the banks. I contacted BOI and the woman on the phone said "Oh do you just need a decline letter?" when I mentioned Rebuilding ireland and sent it out to me. So I have one.

I'm struggling to get a second. KBC and Ulster bank both said that they couldn't do that without going through the whole application process. I did the initial 15 minute phone call with both of them but that wasn't enough. Kbc said I'd have to fill in other forms and send them back to them and spent a large portion of the call trying to sell me other products (I'm not with them for my day to day banking).

Does anyone else know which places are the best to get these letters of decline quickly?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

delkel38 wrote:
    We are dealing with offaly and the excuses come after we bombard them with emails. Told us last week the loan pack will be sent to our solicitor. This week their solicitor is reviewing our documents. All I can say is good luck with offaly but maybe you will be lucky if you plan to buy. I heard from a good source that 8 people have been approved so far by offaly.

Just an update that we got our approval with Offaly on Friday. At last!
    Anyone know how long it takes from here. All needed house documents submitted with application. Think it's just mortgage protection now which we have ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

swarmberg wrote: »
    Hi All,

Planning on applying for this scheme soon. I will be applying alongside my partner. Have the 10% deposit saved when combined with HTB plus the extra for stamp duty and legal fees.

The problem is my that I have saved all the deposit myself and my partner has no savings. I have consistent savings and have been paying rent as well. The rent plus the amount I'm saving is more than the mortgage repayments we are looking for?

Will the fact he has zero savings be a massive problem? I would apply alone but need their smaller income as part of the multiple of income allowed. We are looking for approx 4x income. Anyone else encounter similar?

Thanks

Just apply. I have a low income but save regularly. My partner has a higher income but doesn't save a penny. As a joint application I don't think they cared who had the deposit. In this case it was me. Bank statements showed we paid rent and had no gambling tendancies for example. They are much more lenient than the banks thankfully! We are nearly through the other side. Went sale agreed November and expecting to have the keys in the next 2 or 3 weeks 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Why don't you apply the normal way first and follow the rules. It seems like you are seeking to abuse the system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭raheny red

Screenshots of online mortgage calculators of insufficient funds will suffice with Fingal and Dub Coco.

Thanks for the reply Raheny Red. I'm applying to SDCC so I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I'm not sure why you think I'm abusing the system Peter File. There's no clear process to follow. Rebuilding Ireland want two letters and 2 of the banks so far have said it's not a service they offer. Genuinely don't what I should have done differently

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Krissy1981

Hi I’m applying to DCC. My application went in first week of January and I got confirmation of it being approved by underwriter and now I’m waiting for it to be reviewed by Council Committee. I was told that can take 2-6 weeks so I’m hanging in there hoping for a decision sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

Krissy1981 wrote: »
    Hi I’m applying to DCC. My application went in first week of January and I got confirmation of it being approved by underwriter and now I’m waiting for it to be reviewed by Council Committee. I was told that can take 2-6 weeks so I’m hanging in there hoping for a decision sooner rather than later.

Lucky you,
    Kildare CoCo has stopped processing applications .
    Despite them being granted extra funding .
    According to RI they are the only CoCo not lending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭raheny red

coolio83 wrote: »
    Hi, do the online calculators results count as a refusal? TIA

Screenshots of online mortgage calculators of insufficient funds will suffice with Fingal and Dub Coco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Why don't you apply to the banks and see what they say they may approve you?

It seems like you are trying to go direct to Rebuilding Ireland which is meant for when you have exhausted all other options which you havn't.
    Is there some reason you think the banks won't approve you for a mortgage.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Why don't you apply to the banks and see what they say they may approve you?

It seems like you are trying to go direct to Rebuilding Ireland which is meant for when you have exhausted all other options which you havn't.

Thanks for the reply. I can understand where you're coming from. I could get approved by a bank but the highest I'd get is 140,000 based on the central bank lending rules and I live in Dublin.

So, I've already checked the online calculators and have an idea of what I'd get approved for and personally, I don't feel like it's wrong to rely on RIHL. The first bank I applied to went through the application process with me and said I'd still qualify for 140,000 even after taking note of any personal details and salary,pensions etc.

The requirement for 2 refusal letters seems odd to me because it's obvious based on your salary and savings etc. what you would qualify for with a bank and all this info is enclosed in your RIHL application. This application also requires you to have a good credit rating and takes loans, existing financial commitments into account.

So if a bank won't lend to you because you have loans/not enough savings/bad credit etc than neither will RIHL, therefore my understanding of the scheme is that it is a way for middle income people to get a decent loan amount which isn't possible with the banks rather than for people who literally can't get approved for anything from a bank. Surely the requirement to enclose two refusals and have a good credit rating and the whole deposit saved up is contradictory?

I just don't understand why they're making people go through the application process purely for the sake of getting refused, it's a waste of my time and the bank's. The results of an online calculator would make a lot more sense.

Sorry for the rant! It's just a very unclear process.

Why not go straight to them ?
    They set the rules and if you qualify then you are just as entitled as anybody else to get the loan.
    If I could borrow 280 from the bank at 3.5% or 288k at 2% from RI then why not get RI if you're eligible ?

They set the rules and if you qualify then you are just as entitled as anybody else to get the loan.
    If I could borrow 280 from the bank at 3.5% or 288k at 2% from RI then why not get RI if you're eligible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Quinnciara

Hi, well done that was quite quick, may I ask who your dealing with in dcc? My application went in early November and is still with the underwriters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭swarmberg

AIB will give approval in principal online without going through the whole application process. A letter is generated that you can print off which will show the max the bank will lend you. This should do alongside your other letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

raheny red wrote: »

What type of calculators? Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Because that's not how the scheme is meant to work, it's meant to let people who can't get a mortgage with a bank buy a house, it's not meant to be about shopping for rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Pussyhands wrote: »
    What type of calculators? Any links?

Google 'online mortgage calculator Ireland'. That will bring up links to the main banks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lucky you,

Baffling, Kildare is such a high demand area. Send off emails to as many county councillors, asking why the housing department isn't taking part and ask that it is on the agenda at the council meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Google 'online mortgage calculator Ireland'. That will bring up links to the main banks.

I have tried it for ulster bank for example but it's telling me how much I can borrow, assuming I have 10% deposit (I have more than 10%)

For AIB it's telling me I am approved in principal for 140k and would have to self fund 90k for a house worth 230k.

Does this count as refusal or how would that work?

Lucky you,

That is ridiculous. Hopefully its just due to a backlog and they will open up again for new applications.

Quinnciara wrote: »
    Hi, well done that was quite quick, may I ask who your dealing with in dcc? My application went in early November and is still with the underwriters ?

Seriously!!! Was there two Applicants maybe it takes longer to vet two. I am doing it on my own. I am dealing with Shane. I can't think of his last name.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

Lee3b wrote: »
    Hi everyone I have ranted on here plenty of times .... Just had to inform all of the process we applied in June and our mortgage was drawn down yesterday the 18th .... It's a long process very stressful ... buy without it I would never buy a home with having 2 children the banks would never have looked at us for what we needed. So this is a bit of good feedback for a change

When you say the banks would never have looked at ye because ye have 2 children.. Do you mean they penalise those that have dependants or do you mean you were looking for an amount way over your income? We have 5 children, so I’m a little fearful that we won’t get a mortgage now.. So this scheme may very well be our life saver too..!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Quinnciara

Seriously!!! Was there two Applicants maybe it takes longer to vet two. I am doing it on my own. I am dealing with Shane. I can't think of his last name.

After all of that I was approved today, It seems after I gave out the next day I was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 embeeie

Hi,
    I am currently in the process of buying a house and am doing so through DCC. I got sale agreed before Christmas after receiving loan approval at the end of November. PTSB were able to supply me with a letter but I had to go into the bank and pretend to apply. Based on my income, they offered me €112,000. The letter does not state any figures, merely that I do not meet the criteria required to purchase a property based on the figures I supplied. Feel free to DM me if you have any further questions. I'm a few steps ahead of you and hope to have keys in the next 8 weeks (that's what they said to me anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

I'm at the house insurance stage. Question is, how do I find out the rebuild cost? Or even the square footage of the house. Would the estate agent have that info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

jesso22 wrote:
    I'm at the house insurance stage. Question is, how do I find out the rebuild cost? Or even the square footage of the house. Would the estate agent have that info?

Do you not just have to insure to the value of the mortgage?

Advertisement