Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic tubeless tyre "bubbling"??

• 18-01-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭

IMG-20190118-153618667.jpg

Anyone come across this before?? I don't know how long it's been there, the tyres don't have many miles on them. I tried the bike on a set of rollers there for the first time and I couldn't figure out where this was "badump badump" was coming from with every rotation. Thought the rollers were off and then I saw this on the back tyre. It feels like it's air underneath them and they depress easily as far as the primary hard case carcass.

Really weird!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭secman

Are they suitable for using on a roller, don't know myself , just posing a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

The tyre carcase is damaged underneath If there are new get em replaced under warranty. This part of a tyre should not give. I have seen it happen with very worn tyres after hitting pebbles on the road but if new then it is a tyre fault. I wouldn't be too happy going out on them either they could blow and probably when you don't want them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No no, they've never been on a roller. Just 5 seconds right now, which is all it took for me to realise something was up. They've only been on the road

They came fitted with a set of new ksyrium elites from... Hmmm... "I wanna say" Merlin but I'm not sure. It was a boards bargain alert special!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Are they getting hot at all?

• Advertisement

Can't imagine how. We're talking early morning Saturday spins since November. Mid week I turbo - no back wheel required.

Kinda looks like I left the wheel near a radiator or something but I haven't!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any chance you over inflated them? Rated for a relatively low 101PSI max on 25s and 87 on 28s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like they've delaminated?

ED E wrote: »
    Any chance you over inflated them? Rated for a relatively low 101PSI max on 25s and 87 on 28s.

Nope, don't think so.

Anyway, I just had a very unpleasant 20 minutes in the shed changing the tyre. I can categorically state that I am not all looking forward to the day I may have to do something similar at the side of a road with my exasperated and tubeful clubmates watching and waiting for me with dwindling sympathy. :(:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

fat bloke wrote: »
    Nope, don't think so.

Anyway, I just had a very unpleasant 20 minutes in the shed changing the tyre. I can categorically state that I am not all looking forward to the day I may have to do something similar at the side of a road with my exasperated and tubeful clubmates watching and waiting for me with dwindling sympathy. :(:(

For tubeless get used to pushing the bead into the centre to get them off, mine were really tough at the start but with practice it is really easy now

And that is a delamination

• Advertisement

Getting the old tyre off was handy enough, getting the new one on and seated was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I have seen the exact same bubbling on the exact same Mavic tyre / ksyrium setup.
    Wheels/ tyres have less than a 1000 km on them too.
    Must contact Mavic as the bike shop where they were bought is now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Just to add that this only happened to the back tyre , the front is fine and shows no sign of wear.

This is odd. Exact same thing has happened now to another Mavic yksion rear on me! Second one in a row.

Not sure I'll be going for lucky number 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hey FB,

I reckon I bought the same wheelset at the time. I didn’t use them until recently so probably have about 6-700km done on them.

The back tyre has begun to de laminate in the same way as your pic.

Did you look for any comeback from Mavic or the sales peeps?
    Did you just bin the tyre or was it still usable?

TIA,
    rat racer

I changed the back and binned the old one but the replacement did the same thing. Didn't bother with Mavic, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭ratracer

fat bloke wrote: »
    I changed the back and binned the old one but the replacement did the same thing. Didn't bother with Mavic, no.

Did you put a different type of tubeless on or do you still use the wheelset?

I've looked back at Strava and I have 1750km done on these tyres. I'm reluctant to buy another Mavic tyre. I'm tempted to try the Conti GP5000TL as I have the GP4000's on my other wheels and find them good, but different stories of how they fit the rims are worrying.

Advertisement