Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Re-enactment firearms, use of black powder/substitute w/regards to reloading.

• 15-01-2019 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

How does the re-enacting groups manage to get powder outside the midlands.
    We keep hearing how it's next to impossible to get powder without a massive magizine store yet groups that re-enact historical events with period weaponry are at it every day. It seems to me that here exists another group that is getting to do its thing.

Any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

They aren't at it everyday. There aren't many groups in the country using black powder the ones who do core members have dealers liscences so can order black powder for events but have to use it all at the event. PM me i'll pass your details on to the groups in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I had heard that after an incident in Ireland a couple of years ago, in which a re-enactor had accidentally fired his ram-rod in front of a blank, that all public displays where BP was used had been prohibited. Exceptions to this would be the mid-day cannon firing on Spike Island, for instance.

I'd be very interested to hear more on the subject of the private acquisition of PB in Ireland for the purposes of shooting it, rather than using the un-graphited form that's used as blasting powder in the quarry industry. Incidentally, and in case anybody is interested, the difference between the black powder used by shooters, and that used by quarrymen is this -

The actual grain structure and dimension of the BP used by shooters is described using the letters F followed by g.

1. 1Fg - cannon powder.

2. 2Fg/FFg - large-bore shotguns and rifles from ~.60cal up to 1" bore - punt guns, for instance.

3. 3Fg/FFFg - smaller calibre rifles and handguns from #.32 - .50cal, and shotguns.

4. 4Fg/FFFFg - flintlock priming pans.

The letter 'g' means that the powder kernels are graphited during manufacture, making the bulk powder flow more easily during the loading process. Outside the RoI, this is the kind of BP that all of us shooters use.

Blasting powder is not graphited, and not be purchased on an ordinary BP license.

My handguns use 3Fg grade BP between 25gr and 50gr, and rifles between 45gr and 70gr.

tac foley wrote: »
    I had heard that after an incident in Ireland a couple of years ago, in which a re-enactor had accidentally fired his ram-rod in front of a blank, that all public displays where BP was used had been prohibited. Exceptions to this would be the mid-day cannon firing on Spike Island, for instance.

I'd be very interested to hear more on the subject of the private acquisition of PB in Ireland for the purposes of shooting it, rather than using the un-graphited form that's used as blasting powder in the quarry industry. Incidentally, and in case anybody is interested, the difference between the black powder used by shooters, and that used by quarrymen is this -

The actual grain structure and dimension of the BP used by shooters is described using the letters F followed by g.

1. 1Fg - cannon powder.

2. 2Fg/FFg - large-bore shotguns and rifles from ~.60cal up to 1" bore - punt guns, for instance.

3. 3Fg/FFFg - smaller calibre rifles and handguns from #.32 - .50cal, and shotguns.

4. 4Fg/FFFFg - flintlock priming pans.

The letter 'g' means that the powder kernels are graphited during manufacture, making the bulk powder flow more easily during the loading process. Outside the RoI, this is the kind of BP that all of us shooters use.

Blasting powder is not graphited, and not be purchased on an ordinary BP license.

My handguns use 3Fg grade BP between 25gr and 50gr, and rifles between 45gr and 70gr.

I think that incident happened in Northern Ireland not that it hasn't happened in the south just not at a public event as far as I know.

Ah, thank you. That's the problem with reading 'information' from another country - most furriners have a problem differentiating the two disparate parts of the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I suppose we could do it like the re-enactment groups in former East Germany, where BP was prohibited to the comrades too. They used to light a specially made banger with a scratch light surface and chuck it down the muzzle of their non-functioning musket, then shoulder it and "fire " it. Their drill of arms was excellent,helped along too no doubt a few lost fingers or hands occasionally... Oh wait..!. Firecrackers are "illegal" here too.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So just use a "black cat" in the muzzle loader?
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup, that's what they used, except it had a match head like igniter, rather than a trad string fuse.:) Was made by "Silber hutte" a well-known e German fireworks company.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I have a repro Brown Bess licenced with 200 rds on it.

thermo wrote: »
    I have a repro Brown Bess licenced with 200 rds on it.

And you always keep a spare ramrod just in case..:D

judestynes wrote: »
    And you always keep a spare ramrod just in case..:D

No need for a ramrod when your tap loading

• Advertisement

How can you 'license' a firearm that has loose loads? 200 'fishing weights'? 200 loads of 'how much?' black powder? I can't figure out how THAT works, TBH. Sounds utterly ludicrous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm still finding it ironic that these are sold openly at christmas in Smyths.

2018-12-24-22.55.14a.jpg

tac foley wrote: »
    a: How can you 'license' a firearm that has loose loads?
    b: 200 'fishing weights'?
    c: 200 loads of 'how much?' black powder?
    d: I can't figure out how THAT works, TBH.
    e: Sounds utterly ludicrous to me.

A: For me, Same way as I did for my other firearms. Fill out the form, show legitimate use ect
    B: you need no paper work for fishing weights. But why use them when you can get bullet moulds?
    C: 100-110 grains per cartridge
    D: what can I say?
    E: ludicrous to me is looking for the "S" on the license.......

A: For me, Same way as I did for my other firearms. Fill out the form, show legitimate use ect
    B: you need no paper work for fishing weights. But why use them when you can get bullet moulds?

My use of the words 'fishing weights' is a euphemism employed by some people who do not want to admit to the ownership of musket balls.

The next question is a general one - if YOU can do it, why are you the first person I've encountered on this forum in almost ten years who DOES shoot BP in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

And how do you get a hold of that qty. of powder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Wow. What calibre is she?

Where did ye get this gun. You must have imported it. How did you justify the need for it. Was it licenced for hunting or target shooting.

Finally where do you buy powder? In the Eire or the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Deadly

solarwinds wrote: »
    And how do you get a hold of that qty. of powder ?

It's bought by the kilo.

Zxthinger wrote: »

Where did ye get this gun. You must have imported it. How did you justify the need for it. Was it licenced for hunting or target shooting.

.75, I'm a dealer so mine and others are imported from the UK mostly. As for Justifications I'm a member of a nepolionic re enactment group.
    Powder comes from NI.

Zxthinger wrote: »

If this type of shooting interests you, you should look into joining a group. Theres Napoleonic groups in the midlands in wexford and in Sligo and American civil war group in Cork

• Advertisement

Sounds like great fun, Thermo, and, I'm sure, actually is! Many thanks for the PM, BTW, very much appreciated. May I recommend a Youtube site to you? Murphey's Muskets is the name, and shooting all manner of muzzleloaders is his game. Of course, living where he does, a muzzleloader is not even classed as a firearm of any kind - even a convicted felon can own one, rifle, musket of handgun.

I live not far from Brandon in Norfolk, home of the best flints on earth, should you ever be in need! :)

Advertisement