Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seed Balls SD-15

Options
  • 04-01-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Anyone used or using these balls? Saw a review on YouTube of the seed tour version balls compared to Prov's and the numbers looked very similar for a fraction of the cost.

Decided to buy a few of the distance balls to play with over the rest of the winter. They are very similar in feel to the Bridgestone Tour BRX ball. So similar I couldn't tell the difference off the putter! Very impressed with them so far. Obviously there isn't the same amount of spin with the distance balls but as a 20 handicapper this should make little difference to me. Might be a good winter ball for someone who plays the BRX balls?

Had a rough Christmas where I lost 21 balls over 4 rounds (wild off the tee and championship courses don't mix well) so at a tenner a box of 12 these are my new best friend!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have played the SD-05 which I thought were excellent & again very good value (think they were targeting more of the Pro V1x style ball). Might have just been good strike, but to my mind I was getting extra distance from them relative to other premium balls without losing any feel

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

davegilly wrote: »
    Anyone used or using these balls? Saw a review on YouTube of the seed tour version balls compared to Prov's and the numbers looked very similar for a fraction of the cost.

Decided to buy a few of the distance balls to play with over the rest of the winter. They are very similar in feel to the Bridgestone Tour BRX ball. So similar I couldn't tell the difference off the putter! Very impressed with them so far. Obviously there isn't the same amount of spin with the distance balls but as a 20 handicapper this should make little difference to me. Might be a good winter ball for someone who plays the BRX balls?

Had a rough Christmas where I lost 21 balls over 4 rounds (wild off the tee and championship courses don't mix well) so at a tenner a box of 12 these are my new best friend!!

I have some here and they are quite nice to hit but I'm pretty useless. The skin can mark a bit easy though.

The distance balls are good value and don't feel as hard as your normal cheap ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Have played the SD-05 which I thought were excellent & again very good value (think they were targeting more of the Pro V1x style ball). Might have just been good strike, but to my mind I was getting extra distance from them relative to other premium balls without losing any feel
    Are you still using them? If not, what did you change to and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Are you still using them? If not, what did you change to and why?

If I still had any left I'd continue using them :D

Got a deal on some Calloway Chrome Soft through work so have been using them of late.

When they run out I may well go back to the seed balls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

As far as I know seed balls go like this. Link here btw.

SD-15 is their cheap hard ball, they call it the 'country mile'.
    SD-01 is their ProV1x
    SD-05 is their ProV1

I play the SD-01 for the last 6months and had one going for 8 and half rounds recently, then it split open. But it was still looking remarkably well otherwise. I really like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I love this balls (SD-05) I tried them out up at the SMLinks during the summer and felt no discernible difference to my usual ProV1s.

The one thing that puts me off using them is the mail order caper. Want to buy balls when I need them from a store.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

the lawman wrote: »
    I love this balls (SD-05) I tried them out up at the SMLinks during the summer and felt no discernible difference to my usual ProV1s.

The one thing that puts me off using them is the mail order caper. Want to buy balls when I need them from a store.

I ordered mine and had them either the next day or at most two days later. Highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I ordered mine and had them either the next day or at most two days later. Highly recommend them.

Yeah but don't you have to set up a minimum monthly order?

At least that's what it used to be. I could go 2 months on a dozen.

the lawman wrote: »
    Yeah but don't you have to set up a minimum monthly order?

At least that's what it used to be. I could go 2 months on a dozen.

Not anymore - you have the option now to buy either as a one off or as a subscription.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

As said above, not any more.
    I got a dozen and still have 9 left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Just ordered a dozen SD-05 online, my nose is at me now....

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I have been playing the Vice balls (Tour and Pro models). I feel like they are solid balls at a great price (if you buy in bulk).

The seed ordering subscription put me off when I was comparing the two, though I am glad to hear they have changed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

THe SD-15 is a brick imo, much better value and quality ball in Sports Direct

The SD-05 is best value ball I have used

Havent tried the SD-01 in the boot of the car

I like the SD-01 a lot and shipping is pretty quick. But I would not buy balls in a subscription scheme. I just don't need enough of them and plus being forced into a sub would put me right off no matter what the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I like the SD-01 a lot and shipping is pretty quick. But I would not buy balls in a subscription scheme. I just don't need enough of them and plus being forced into a sub would put me right off no matter what the ball.

I signed up for the sub once a year give lots of time to cancel

gypsy79 wrote: »
    THe SD-15 is a brick imo, much better value and quality ball in Sports Direct

The SD-05 is best value ball I have used

Havent tried the SD-01 in the boot of the car
    I wouldn’t call it a brick, it’s actually fairly soft - softer than a Prov definitely and has a lovely feeling off the putter.

I’ve played with them a little now and love the feel and flight when I actually manage to hit it properly.

Hard to tell how much or little spin the ball has at this time of the year as the ground, ball and club are all drenched wet. It’s an ideal winter ball especially for a tenner a box. It’s probably an ideal all year round ball as well for those of us without the skill to spin the ball!

I’m sold anyway, I’ve just ordered another 5 boxes!

Sure you're not confusing the balls? The SD-15 is their 'brick'. SD-05 is their soft ball. Well, tbh I never tried the SD-15 but I'd be very surprised if it was as soft as ProV.

Sure you're not confusing the balls? The SD-15 is their 'brick'. SD-05 is their soft ball. Well, tbh I never tried the SD-15 but I'd be very surprised if it was as soft as ProV.

Certain. They've called it a brick or rock on the website, dunno why as it's actually quite soft. Not Supersoft soft but more like TruSoft soft. Definitely softer than a prov though.

Certain. They've called it a brick or rock on the website, dunno why as it's actually quite soft. Not Supersoft soft but more like TruSoft soft. Definitely softer than a prov though.

The lot I got arent soft. They were pretty bad.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The lot I got arent soft. They were pretty bad.

When was that? I wonder did they change them? Or maybe we have different opinions on what soft means! It definitely feels soft to me off the putter - more of a supersoft thud than a prov click.

"Low compression core for more feel. Surlyn cover for control.
    This rock won’t break your hands or the bank"

The tag above is how they describe the ball. Bit confusing to be honest - it's either soft or a rock - not both??

• Advertisement

I would read as a hard core with a soft cover. Its definitely their distance ball and not their ProV competitor. The better balls are all 3 piece too, this one is not.

I would read as a hard core with a soft cover. Its definitely their distance ball and not their ProV competitor. The better balls are all 3 piece too, this one is not.
    I know its not their prov competitor - it's the distance ball.

What I was querying was whether it was soft or not. A Supersoft is SOFT. A Warbird is like a ROCK. Neither are Callaway's premium balls but both are perfectly playable distance balls depending on your needs.

Anywa, we've kind of lost track a bit. I was just wondering initially if anyone was using them as their winter ball? For the price they are incredible value. If you like the feel of them of course :)

I just thought they were way harder than the Taylormades I was using before these.

As I said. I really like the SD05

Might try some of the SD02 in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Took delivery of the new Seed SD 02 balls last Friday,(ordered Wednesday) standard delivery and got to play with them on Saturday and have to say they will be my choice of ball going forward, Great sound off the driver, Responsive on the wedges from around the green and a nice feel for putting and at 25e a dozen plus 5 for delivery they are still much better value than other top name brands..I'd be interested in hearing of any single figure handicappers playing them and what they thought of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Took delivery of the new Seed SD 02 balls last Friday,(ordered Wednesday) standard delivery and got to play with them on Saturday and have to say they will be my choice of ball going forward, Great sound off the driver, Responsive on the wedges from around the green and a nice feel for putting and at 25e a dozen plus 5 for delivery they are still much better value than other top name brands..I'd be interested in hearing of any single figure handicappers playing them and what they thought of them

Are they the ones meant to be close to the Pro v's?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

benny79 wrote: »
    Are they the ones meant to be close to the Pro v's?

They are and there is a great review on YouTube,The Average Golfer Seed SD02

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Golfhead65 wrote: »

Have played them and the SD 01, to be honest there’s very little difference between them. 02’s probably spin a tad better but that’s it.
    Both balls are good value for money but personally I won’t be playing them come qualifying. They mark up quickly and I’ve found they don’t go as far as my Titleist. I’ll use up what’s left and return to Pro V’s when the ground dries up.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Ive tried the sd01 am already a big fan of the vice pro. I too noticed a distance loss with the sd01.
    Other than that found it a nice feeling ball and good value.

Advertisement