Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Simply Delicious Vegan/Vegetarian Christmas Cookery Thread.

• 27-11-2018 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Deep breath.... here goes :D

I’ve been following a plant based diet for six months now and it has been such a positive and life changing experience. I have always loved cooking but in recent months I feel my skills have improved so much as I have learnt to work with lots of new and exciting ingredients.

However, I’m getting nervous about Christmas. For me, one of the highlights of Christmas has always been the food preparation, cooking and entertaining. This year I will be catering for a mixture of meat-eaters, vegetarians & vegans. I will be cooking the traditional turkey and ham etc but I want the plant based options to be really, really delicious. I don’t want anyone to leave the table feeling that I presented them with an after thought of a meal. (I hear these complaints when I attend weddings or functions - i.e The vegetarian option is usually a bland stir fry).

I’ve ordered a few more cookery books for inspiration. However, I thought it might be nice to start a Christmas Cookery Thread so we can share recipes and ideas for making Christmas dining extra special.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Something I'm thinking of making is a cranberry and chestnut pie, with mushrooms, small pieces of floury potatoes and something like rosemary included. The base would be baked blind, then the filling poured in and pressed, with a stock drizzled over it and a fancy-looking crust.

Served with roast veg: parsnips, beetroot, carrot, sweet potato all cut into sticks with garlic cloves and a thick onion gravy.

I want some now. Why wait till the solstice?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

^^^^

OMG, that’s yummy!

This is exactly the kind of dish I was looking for. It’s something different, that you wouldn’t be having everyday. Any chance of the recipe, David? Many thanks :)

I don't have a recipe, sorry, it's just something I'm thinking about, more or less winging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

spinach and chestnut pasta roll, goats cheese, tart, various types of nut roast, mushroom pithivier thats just the last few years off the top of my head i can find recipies !

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I'm I the only vegetarian that loves the whole roast dinner just without the meat, no alternatives needed.. however m&s usually have good vegetarian option ideas

https://christmasfood.marksandspencer.ie/l/vegetables-and-sides/all-vegetables-and-sides?intid=IE_CFTO_Gnav_Veg_Viewall

• Advertisement

I'm I the only vegetarian that loves the whole roast dinner just without the meat, no alternatives needed.. however m&s usually have good vegetarian option ideas

https://christmasfood.marksandspencer.ie/l/vegetables-and-sides/all-vegetables-and-sides?intid=IE_CFTO_Gnav_Veg_Viewall

No, you’re not the only one. I love a plateful of veggies, some steamed (brocolli, spinach, sprouts, peas) and some roasted (potatoes, garlic, parsnips, beetroot, sweet potato) with a bit of mash but it’s also a nice counterbalance to have a nut roast or sausage with gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You can never go wrong with a good mix of veggies like that.

I was thinking of trying to do something with chestnuts this year if I can get them. I”ve noticed them appearing in the shops pre Christmas with a few years now and have always been meaning to experiment with them, but not sure what kind of flavour they have as I”ve not tried them before.
    Is there any other veg, fruit, or nut which works particularly well with them?

duridian wrote: »
    I was thinking of trying to do something with chestnuts this year if I can get them. I”ve noticed them appearing in the shops pre Christmas with a few years now and have always been meaning to experiment with them, but not sure what kind of flavour they have as I”ve not tried them before.
    Is there any other veg, fruit, or nut which works particularly well with them?

Chestnuts don't have a strong taste but I do like their texture, a bit mealy but they don't tend to break up; I think not overwhelming them in a mix is useful to remember (says he who likes them with cranberries and sprouts :cool:).

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Vegan Wellington - I think this could be very tasty with a little bit of tweaking. I had something similar at my work Christmas lunch last week, the chef added some cranberries and it was delicious.

I know I'm way late here but maybe for next year or for a special January meal- Nevin Maguire's Christmas Kilkenny show last month went to The Cutting Vege restaurant in Kilkenny and they made a nice vegan Hazelnut and cranberry roulade served with an elderflower and orange reduction- it looked lovely- I was all set to make it for a vegetarian relative but the dinner was postponed to January sometime so if/when i do make it, I'll post here- as a meat eater, I'd happily have this for dinner any evening.

Enjoy! :)

https://beta.rte.ie/player/series/neven-s-kilkenny-christmas/SI0000004511?epguid=AI000003025

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks Episode 2 is it? I'll have a watch. Is the recipe written somewhere?

Thanks Episode 2 is it? I'll have a watch. Is the recipe written somewhere?

Yes Episode 2- I couldn't find the recipe from a google search but i'd say a quick phone call to the restaurant will sort that one- I'm sure they have a facebook page or twitter and if they don't they should have or will soon.

Here's what i liked about the recipe (and this is also about some general cooking tips)

1. You can use what veggies you want - but I love the way she roasted the veggies- she charred them (brushed with oil) in the oven on a baking tray, for just 20 mins at a med/high heat - but the veggies (like celery, parsnip, carrot etc) were all chopped in small chunks, so they roasted very quickly- like a complete DOH! moment for me on that one :P - you don't have to spend an hour roasting veg to get them charred/caramelised, just cut them smaller ;)

I used this technique on my own Christmas dinner day and was so grateful for seeing it- she cautions against over-roasting if doing this recipe though, as they'll be roasted again within the pastry after being mulched in the food processor, but for me on Christmas day, 30 mins roasted in the oven in small chunks was perfect.

2. She placed ground/roasted hazelnuts on a baking tray and then placed dough on top of these and pressed down- so lovely hazelnutty pastry on the outside once cooked in the oven - so simple- again, DOH for me :P

I'm going to combine the Vege Restaurant recipe with the Happy Pear Vegan Wellington and make my own- all ingredients in place. Too late to start tonight so i'll let you know how it goes when i hopefully get to it tomorrow.

So I made this the other week. By all accounts went down well.

Here's what i did: Serves 4 decent dinner portions - you'll need to thaw just 1 sheet of puff pastry in advance (they usually come with two sheets but one sheet will be fine for this mix). Serve with Cranberry and Orange sauce heated with a little soy sauce.

1. Peal (where necessary) and Chop into small pieces (bit sized or just a little bigger):

2 small or 1 large sweet potato
    2 peppers (colour of your choice)
    1/4 of a standard sized celeriac
    dress with olive oil, massage into the veg and place on tray lined with parchment paper.

roast these in a fan oven- 200deg - for 20-25 mins- until charred - allow to cool a little, then blitz 1/2 the mixture in the food processor with some fresh ginger and chop smaller, the other 1/2 of the mixture.

3. Roast about 200g (in total) nuts- cashews, hazelnuts and walnuts @ 180 deg on a tray for about 12 mins - peal off the burnt skin of the hazelnuts (if you can find blanched hazelnuts all the better, you won't have to do this)

4. Blitz the nuts in a food processor until broken up a lot but not all - i.e. it will be a combination of small chunky pieces and finer "nut flour"

5. Fry up 1 large onion or red onion until starting to caramelise.

6. Add a tablespoon of hot/smoked paprika and a pinch of chilli pepper if you like and also, some dried herbs - add sea salt and pepper to your taste -stir and mix in with onion

7. add all the other ingredients and also add 1 grated raw carrot and 1/4 grated raw celeriac and mix very well - it will be moist but not wet when you're finished with it

8. Cut your puff pastry sheet about 55:45 proportion (the bottom sheet is where you'll place the mixture.) Ensure you keep the edges clear so you can fold them up.

Once you've shaped the mixture on your puff pastry sheet (like a log or wellington) brush the sides and corners with egg yolk- place other pastry sheet on top of the "log" and fold in the edges all around until sealed.

Make a nice design with a blunt knife on the pastry on top if you like- brush pastry with egg yolk- place in pre-heated oven @ 200 deg for first 20 mins and then reduce to 180 for rest of cooking (between 30-35 mins) until golden

Allow to cool for 10 mins before cutting - serve with the Cranberry and Orange sauce.

Enjoy :)

GLzQWDU.jpg

GLzQWDU.jpg

Brill. Easy recipe too. Thanks POT.

Brill. Easy recipe too. Thanks POT.

You're welcome ;)

BTW, took me 2-3 minutes to realise that POT stood for PlentyOhToole :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks great thanks!

Looks great thanks!

NP- thanks for the feedback. :)

While I'm an omnivore, I'm eating more and more veggie dishes throughout the week - like about 4:3 Veggie:Meat so just making my contribution to show people what a tasty meal you can make without meat.

In addition or alternative to serving with a nice cranberry & orange or port sauce, I'd recommend a nice olive and feta cheese salad with a good balsamic vinegar.

Appreciate I haven't reached out to the vegans on this forum but wrapped in filo or vegan pastry would work too but don't think it would be as tasty- but look, if it helps someone eat more veg or to satisfy a dinner guest who's vegetarian my work is done.

Advertisement