Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Light wiring query

• 13-01-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hello

I've had to change an internal roof light fitting in the bathroom and unfortunately, there are three wires that are all coloured grey so it is hard to figure out which should be nutral and which should be live.

THe odd thing is that two of the comibinations seem to put both the lights on but the main bathroom light cannot be turned off unless I turn off the circuit:

I have tried a few different combinations as follows:

Neutral Live Result
    Neutral: Wire 1+3 Live: Wire 2 Result:Both lights on but switch on main light won't work
    Neutral: Wire 2 Live:Wire 1+3 Result: As above
    Neutral: Wire 1 Live: Wire 2+3 Result:Main light turns on, but switch still won't work
    Neutral: Wire 1+2 Live: Wire 3 Result: The circuit trips immediately

Any tips would be really helpful!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

If your unsure what your doing call someone competant before someone gets hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

GusherING wrote: »
    Hello

I've had to change an internal roof light fitting in the bathroom and unfortunately, there are three wires that are all coloured grey so it is hard to figure out which should be nutral and which should be live.

THe odd thing is that two of the comibinations seem to put both the lights on but the main bathroom light cannot be turned off unless I turn off the circuit:

I have tried a few different combinations as follows:

Neutral Live Result
    Neutral: Wire 1+3 Live: Wire 2 Result:Both lights on but switch on main light won't work
    Neutral: Wire 2 Live:Wire 1+3 Result: As above
    Neutral: Wire 1 Live: Wire 2+3 Result:Main light turns on, but switch still won't work
    Neutral: Wire 1+2 Live: Wire 3 Result: The circuit trips immediately

Any tips would be really helpful!

Thanks

Even though all 3 wires are grey,there is an inner insulation layer that should identify the neutral and live wires

Generally blue or black are neutral
    Brown or red are live
    Only a rec is permitted to work in bathroom areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Aside from getting it to work which without being onsite would be difficult.

Is the fitting suitable for a bathroom?

Is it correctly earthed?

Legally this should only be done by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

Advertisement