Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Very bright Meteorite

Options
  • 04-12-2018 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

About an hour ago I saw a meteorite falling due east of where I am outside Ballindine, Co Mayo.

Not only was it the brightest I've ever seen but also it was the only one that I've seen falling straight down, usually they are going across the sky, Did anyone else see it ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Seen one about a quarter to ten in East Clare straight down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Same in Bray, very bright flash across the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Yep saw that around 11 tonight from killiney beach looked brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Fordcspri23

Americans dropping aluminum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

About an hour ago I saw a meteorite falling due east of where I am outside Ballindine, Co Mayo.

To be annoyingly pedantic, the atmospheric phenomenon was a meteor. A meteorite is the rock you find if it makes it to the ground. And a meteoroid is the rock in space before atmospheric entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

So if a fragment made it to the ground hes right ?

How do you know it didnt ?

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

SlowBlowin wrote: »

No, what he saw was a meteor whether it made it to the ground or not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

How do you know it didnt ?

SB

Its a matter of category since the object appears very different

A Meteorite is a piece of debris that has survived entry/ ablation and has not been vaporised. These objects are then further categorised as "falls" or "finds" relating to if it has been recently recovered after reaching the ground, or has been left to weather in our atmosphere

A meteor is an observed atmospheric disturbance that can be described as a fireball in the sky and produces a noticeable tail (a lot like a comet does in open space as its outgassed by the sun). Larger more apparent ones are considered bolides.
    Its why we call the study of our atmosphere "meteorology" as its the objects affect in our atmosphere, which is in contrast to geology

A meteoroid is basically a pristine piece of debris in open space that's preserved due to spaces near vacuum, these are fragments from asteroids, comets and even planets

Meteors are caused by certain objects but are not the objects themselves, in a similar sense to why we have the word rain describing an atmospheric occurrence of condensing water vapour. We know its water molecules falling but we don't call them waterfalls and you wouldn't say you have a bowl of rain as a result of the phenomenon

Simply put, in order of occurrence; Meteoroids cause Meteors which then can potentially create meteorites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite_fall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I do know the distinction.

I just thought it was a bit over the top, after all I have heard lots of experts in the field say "where the meteorite fell" and that's all the OP said. You just assumed that nothing made it to the ground.

I know I am being pedantic but you started it !

SB

By the way I am about a month off installing an all sky camera here in Kerry (I am high up in the Reeks), I am going to put it live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

By the way I am about a month off installing an all sky camera here in Kerry (I am high up in the Reeks), I am going to put it live.
    Interesting, look forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

This has turned into a very interesting discussion and I've learnt a lot from it.

I now wish I'd just said " I saw a falling star " :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Seen one about a quarter to ten in East Clare straight down as well.

Just been checking what I was doing last night and I think you saw the same one as I did. I just got the time wrong due to watching a TV prog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

This has turned into a very interesting discussion and I've learnt a lot from it.

I now wish I'd just said " I saw a falling star " :P
    You would have been really "put in your place" if you had used that phrase! :D:D:D

Advertisement