Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia wanted Khashoggi gone: Journalist knew about kingdom's links to al-Qaeda

• 14-10-2018 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

Saudi Arabia targeted Jamal Khashoggi because the journalist knew about the kingdom's ties to al-Qaeda in the run-up to 9/11, snubbed the Crown Prince and walked away from the inner circle, a former colleague has revealed.

Mr Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor who has been critical of the Saudi government and some of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's policies, has not been seen since he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

Turkish officials have said the journalist was murdered in the consulate by Saudi agents, a charge Riyadh denies, insisting he left the mission a short time later.

Mr Khashoggi had been living in self-imposed exile in the US since late 2017, fearing arrest back home.

For years, the Saudi journalist was a modest voice for progressive change in the conservative Islamic kingdom.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6266231/Why-Saudi-Arabia-wanted-Khashoggi-gone.html

Could 9/11 be the reason he was taken out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Could 9/11 be the reason he was taken out?

Defo yeah. They waited 17 years to do it for logistical reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The Nal wrote: »
    Defo yeah. They waited 17 years to do it for logistical reasons.

He only recently left the inner circle. It's a colleague of his who knows him said this It could be one of the reasons they got rid of him he knew too much and could leak to damage the royal family. He's fallen out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I would have expected if a state was going to murder you they would do so covertly and not when you visit their embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Is this the same Khashoggi ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I would have expected if a state was going to murder you they would do so covertly and not when you visit their embassy.

I would think so too but Salisbury incident shows spies are not the same as they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I'm pretty sure most people with any intrest in international politics knew about Saudi Arabia's links to al-Qaeda & similiar scumbags. I think they'd have to whack about a billion people to make the Earth free of people with that knowledge.

He was probably just clipped for being a outspoken dissident. Like Trotsky in Mexico.

Advertisement