Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USB ports on plugs and plug boards

• 08-09-2018 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question... but can anyone explain if there is a different spec for usb ports on a plug as opposed to those on a plug board or a hub. The reason I ask is that I thought I had a problem with a GPS golf watch that I was charging from a usb port on a plug board (tried a couple) but when I plugged the watch usb port into a usb plug the problem seemed to magically dissappear !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A lot of USB chargers, be they a plug, extension board, socket or laptop are not to spec.

Some are poor quality and some are lower powered than they should be. I test mine using ampere (android) and very few are to the spec they should be. Same with cables. They also can fail over time, especially cables. Fail in that they don't put out the same power as they used to.

I look for ones with the quick charge spec to charge my phone faster. The majority of them aren't quick charge.

Check the spec your golf watch needs, the check if your chargers match that.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

beauf wrote: »
    A lot of USB chargers, be they a plug, extension board, socket or laptop are not to spec.

Some are poor quality and some are lower powered than they should be. I test mine using ampere (android) and very few are to the spec they should be. Same with cables. They also can fail over time, especially cables. Fail in that they don't put out the same power as they used to.

I look for ones with the quick charge spec to charge my phone faster. The majority of them aren't quick charge.

Check the spec your golf watch needs, the check if your chargers match that.

Thanks for that. Downloaded Android ampere app and its very handy. The port that works has a rating on it of max 1010mA whereas the other is around 770. Will check others and see results tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Advertisement