Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A career in chemistry/pharmacology?

• 18-03-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Looking for some insights.

Kind of at a junction - some clarification may be beneficial.

Without going into a career guidance Q and A - basically, one possible course available to me and, which I have demonstrated to myself I have an interest for - is, biochem/pharmacology.

Well - technically - it's neuropharmacology, specific to receptor protein binding, neuronal transduction and genetic expression - interference and manipulation of messengers/factors, as a means to modify expression and potentially determine novel means to treat a variety of CNS conditions.

I guess primarily it would be relative to receptor expression, conformation modification etc.

The material I've used thus far - has been titled specifically, "molecular neuropharmacology".

But - it appears a large part of that is dictated by biochemistry; be example, triphosphate recyclicing, kinase activation, g-proteins etc etc.

When I say, I've demonstrated an interest in this to myself - to me, if I'm willing to set aside my free time, and read text after text (university based literature/books), and enjoy doing it, fascinated by the understanding - that constitutes an interest.
    (In contrast - I attempted computer science - and it was a grind; did not enjoy doing it; thus, did not have an interest here).

Here's the catch.

In one sense, I would love to dedicate myself to this discipline - and who knows - make a difference?

I find drug use fascinating, and discovering the molecular components, in addition to the "ubiquitous", if you will, human impetus to engage in drug use, dissociative properties - the biochemical fundamentals that dictate that physiological outcome - reasoning those components to personalized disposition: like I said, in one way - I would love to throw myself into that area.

There is a masters program available to me - everything is in place.

BUT - I formerly graduated in a technical discipline - that I found interesting, mildly.

When it came down to the work itself, the working life - it was basically so time consuming and overwhelming - I couldn't commit to it.

I'm not talking about overwhelming in terms of work ethic - but simply - time.

For me personally - for better or worse - a large part of my life is dedicated to things that many would consider - pass time activities.
    To me - they're essentials.

They're primarily - sports.
    I see little point in expounding on that but - is what it is. My sports will come before my line of work.

And in my previous work line - the work conflicted to heavily, and I had to bow out - of the work.

The alternate option available to me is - physiotherapy.

I have an interest in this, believe it or no - from getting massage work done - in addition to anatomical understanding from personal training (also a part time PT).

I've self researched it to some degree and - I know it is a possible career path.

More than that - I feel unquestionably, I could be a good physio.

Most importantly - I can decide my own hours, my own clinic - my rules.
    No 8 am to 6 pm plus over time.

It's a discipline that, I can take at my own pace, my own time; a well respected position/qualification that pays good and I'd enjoy doing; all in all, that's like my dream job.

Wall of text almost over.

Here's my question:

A career in biochem/chemistry/pharmacology, in a fairly specialized subdivision as above - will it be similar to any other intense cognitive discipline in that - we're talking years of highly intense work, possible research roles, long hours, long weeks - to even gain the degree of competency required to be proficient in the area and make a good living off it??

I bold that cause - if you want to skip through the jargon - it that basically, what the situation is?

At a minimum I'm assuming such a chemistry related position is 9 to 5 type deal, Mon to Fri.

Can anyone give a little insight into what it's like working in the industry - and/or what one could expect?

Advertisement