Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monthly Membership Fees - Kickboxing

• 16-01-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking to get an idea of what is a fair price for monthly membership fees.

My wife and two kids are members of our local kickboxing club and ive been paying in excess of €100 per week for the past two years. Financial situation has now changed so i need to start paying monthly

I requested a flat monthly fee and was quoted €424 per month / €5088 per year. Bear in mind these are just standard group classes, not 1-1 or personal training classes.

Is this the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Rob113 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking to get an idea of what is a fair price for monthly membership fees.

My wife and two kids are members of our local kickboxing club and ive been paying in excess of €100 per week for the past two years. Financial situation has now changed so i need to start paying monthly

I requested a flat monthly fee and was quoted €424 per month / €5088 per year. Bear in mind these are just standard group classes, not 1-1 or personal training classes.

Is this the norm?

Sorry I can't really provide any useful information but that sounds extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Feel like im being robbed. Missus and the kids love it though

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

Ouch. That sounds like a lot.

How much you should pay for lessons is a thorny subject. At one extreme you have people offering classes in local parish halls on an amateur basis who charge a few euro to cover the cost of the hall and (hopefully) insurance, and at the other you have people offering lessons in state of the art full time premises while also looking to make a wage for themselves and conceivably also their staff.

A better question than 'am I paying a lot' is 'am I getting value?'

For example you don't say whether you're going once a week to training, or every day? €424 for a family of four training every day could be great value, or it could be a complete rip off.

Does your faculty have great teachers in an art that you really like? Does it have good facilities that are kept clean and warm? Does it have parking and showers etc - these are all things that cost money, but it's up to you to decide if they're important to you or not.

Some people are perfectly happy in a cold drafty school hall training on crappy mats, and think it's waste of money to pay for anything else. Others think that good facilities are necessary for high level training or that they come with a certain attitude of doing things properly. Again to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I pay €45 a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

How many times a week are they training? Myself and my kids train in a local club, that is basic with regards to facilities, but the coaching is very good. We pay on a class by class basis, €5 per class for each of my boys, and €7 per class for me. So a class each a week is costing €17 per week, or €73 per calendar month.

Of course , the more classes you do the greater the cost, but many full time places now just offer a flat weekly or monthly rate, with classes every day(sometimes multiple classes a day) so if you can train 5 days a week the money starts to make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

cletus wrote: »
    How many times a week are they training? Myself and my kids train in a local club, that is basic with regards to facilities, but the coaching is very good. We pay on a class by class basis, €5 per class for each of my boys, and €7 per class for me. So a class each a week is costing €17 per week, or €73 per calendar month.

Of course , the more classes you do the greater the cost, but many full time places now just offer a flat weekly or monthly rate, with classes every day(sometimes multiple classes a day) so if you can train 5 days a week the money starts to make sense

Wife - 4 classes
    Kids - 12 classes between them ( double classes 3 days per week - insisted on by the coach because they are doing points and light contact)

If you break it down by class it's probably only 6/7 euro per class, but I still think it's excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

Sounds expensive tbh. If it’s semi contact and points work you’re doing I’d compare it to itf taekwondo for example. The club I train in (ITA) would be about €110 ish a month I think for your setup (4 members of a family) on 2 classes a week. I think that’s not atypical.
    (A bit different to my own setup so I don’t have it exact off the top of my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

tritium wrote: »
    Sounds expensive tbh. If it’s semi contact and points work you’re doing I’d compare it to itf taekwondo for example. The club I train in (ITA) would be about €110 ish a month I think for your setup (4 members of a family) on 2 classes a week. I think that’s not atypical.
    (A bit different to my own setup so I don’t have it exact off the top of my head)

But they're not doing 2 classes a week. His wife is doing double that, and each of his kids is doing treble that. Your example is for 8 classes a week combined, his family is doing double that

OP, it's working out at 6.25 a class. What are the facilities like?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Seems like a lot. Is it in Martial Arts Inc?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

shutup wrote: »
    Seems like a lot. Is it in Martial Arts Inc?

they are actually pretty reasonable priced these days, unlimited kid 60, unlimited adult 80 per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Not kick boxing but karate for my two kids and they pay €6 a class each twice a week so for two it’s €24 quid a week or nearly €1400 year if I include the yearly insurance and organisation membership costs. Add to that you will have few seminars, gradings and workshops which all cost money.
    So over all I would be nearly hitting the two grand mark per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Dave 101 wrote: »
    they are actually pretty reasonable priced these days, unlimited kid 60, unlimited adult 80 per month

That actually is pretty good if there are class options 6 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

cletus wrote: »
    But they're not doing 2 classes a week. His wife is doing double that, and each of his kids is doing treble that. Your example is for 8 classes a week combined, his family is doing double that

OP, it's working out at 6.25 a class. What are the facilities like?

Op asked for a view, I gave him one and a point of comparison. My comparison works out at about 4 quid a class, a heck of a lot cheaper, you could be doing twice as much training as my example and still get a better overall deal.

Btw, most clubs I’ve trained with have some options re additional training, often at little or no extra cost. The two classes a week is my choice based on my circumstances, not my coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

shutup wrote: »
    That actually is pretty good if there are class options 6 days a week.

Ye both kids and adult 6 days a week

Advertisement