Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using Leaving Certificate route only as a Mature Student

Options
  • 13-01-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Hoping someone in the know could help me out with my college application for 2019 as I'm very confused by my current situation. I sat my Leaving Certificate in 2013 scoring 555 points and A1's in French and English. I then worked before commencing a BSc in Physiotherapy in 2014. Unfortunately this was not the correct career path for me and after completing two years with honours I withdrew in 2016. since then I have had a few big life changes (family issues etc). I am now of mature age (first year I can apply as such). However my question is this; my preferred course is PE and French teaching in UCC; which I am now in the position to enter financially this coming September (2019)

Am I correct in saying I can gain entry into this course directly via my prior Leaving certificate results from 2013 as they are at least 50 points above the 2018 requirements without needing to bother without any mature application/assessment/ interview etc ????

Hopefully a knowledgeable person can help

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Answered in PM, but for completeness here, yes you can.
    Presuming the required points don't shoot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ellawr

spurious wrote: »
    Answered in PM, but for completeness here, yes you can.
    Presuming the required points don't shoot up.

Hi, I have the same question as the original poster, is there any way you would be able to PM me about it? I'm just wondering is it an either-or choice, to be considered based on points or as a mature student. I got decent LC results and could use them to apply for courses, because I'm a little worried my mature application form is very weak. Thanks for reading this, would love to hear from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I went back as a mature student but made sure I didn't tick any boxes related to mature student status. I had about 150 points more than I needed to get the course and as most have a set number of mature places, I didn't want to take one that someone else could benefit from.

Advertisement