Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone got their vitamin D levels tested?

• 01-01-2019 12:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭

I take about between 25-50 μg. Over the summer with the heat wave I sometimes took less, and sometimes none at all, depending on how much sun I thought I'd got.

But it's just guessing. Has anyone every got their vitamin D levels tested? And is the time of day that you get your levels tested an important factor too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi WWM. I doubt the time of day will matter. Your dosage looks about right. I've never gotten my Vit D levels checked - I will sometime though.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Women without Makeup

Worztron wrote: »
    I doubt the time of day will matter.
    I assume they'd be very high immediately after taking it, and a lot lower 23 hours later!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

You assume wrong make up Barbie

You assume wrong make up Barbie
    Elaborate for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I recently had blood tests and found that I was deficient in Vitamin D which has never been the case in any previous blood tests I've had through the years.
    I did have surgery 6 months ago so maybe that is a factor.

Have been prescribed a high dose Vitamin D liquid once a week for 8 weeks then once a month for 4 months and revert to normal level Vit D supplements indefinitely once course is complete.

Levels under 50nmol/l is considered deficient, 50-75 insufficient and >75 adequate. I was at 25nmol/l.

If you have concerns I would get checked as Vit D deficiency can contribute to a range of chronic diseases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

I assume they'd be very high immediately after taking it, and a lot lower 23 hours later!

Or perhaps the levels could remain stable throughout the day.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

Elaborate for me...
    Never to be seen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

There is no blood test for Vitamin D itself.

The test is for 25(OH)D, which will be low if you have a deficiency in Vitamin D or calcium. You need more information before just supplementing

Blindly supplementing with Vitamin D without having regard to increasing sunlight exposure and dietary sources of the other fat soluble vitamins is folly

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/vitamin-d-supplementation-panacea-potential-problem/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

AntiClimax wrote: »
    Never to be seen again!

Presumably they're talking about how VitD is fat-soluble so gets stored in the body (in fat cells/liver) and can released back into the system allowing you to keep more consistent levels. As opposed to something like VitC that either gets used or excreted.

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Presumably they're talking about how VitD is fat-soluble so gets stored in the body (in fat cells/liver) and can released back into the system allowing you to keep more consistent levels. As opposed to something like VitC that either gets used or excreted.
    No, they were being cynical and rude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've used these in the past. Planning on getting mine tested again after the winter and increased doeses of vit d
    It's NHS supported.

http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

People's tolerance for Vit D can vary, too: some can stay healthy on quite low levels, others have symptoms on similar level.

Humans evolved in sunny climates and the main way to secrete this substance is by sunshine on the skin. And this is Irish winter!

Yes, it can be stored in the body but gradually depletes over winter.

I've had bone pain by March, a few years ago...the Dr ordered VitD tested at Vin's and then supplements.

Bonus: this worked very fast. Immediate improvement for bone pain, muscle aches, and mood, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

I have a condition called primary hyperparathyroidism. My vitD levels are checked regularly as this disease can cause low vitamin D levels, severe bone pain which has been likened to the bone pain caused by cancer, kidney stones and osteoporosis. Along with high blood pressure, DVTs and if your blood calcium levels get too very high levels heart attacks and death. I take 3,000ius of vitD per day. High doses are not beneficial to me. But if you are supplementing vitD you should take it with magnesium supplements about two hours apart from any calcium.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I supplement and my levels are fine, I don't really get much sunlight for most of the year or get much from my diet via fortified foods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Encouraged

ford2600 wrote: »

The test is for 25(OH)D, which will be low if you have a deficiency in Vitamin D or calcium. You need more information before just supplementing

Blindly supplementing with Vitamin D without having regard to increasing sunlight exposure and dietary sources of the other fat soluble vitamins is folly

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/vitamin-d-supplementation-panacea-potential-problem/
    Well since I've a perfect diet (vitamin A should be fine), and since I only take small amounts (1,000 IU every second day), I'd say I should be fine. I don't get outside too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Encouraged

ford2600 wrote: »

In that article it says that "showering shortly after outdoor activities" can reduce D3 levels. Do you know anything about that?

Advertisement