Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Fatony wrote: »
    I honestly dont know how they got my details at all, ive only signed up to the Publicsjobs website, so its a mystery!

sounds like one alright yeah. Tell me, did you ring them to ask how they got your details? or how they even knew you might be interested in joining A.G.S.? I would doubt they were in any way able to get someones details from publicjobs.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fatony

I emailed the Garda at one time with a few questions because im from the north unless they forwarded them my information or unless i forgot what i signed up for just,lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wally90

hows it going evryone?

I was wondering if anyone could help me! Im intrested in joining the guards! But i was wondering if anyone could give me a bit more information? Im 18 and studying electronic and communications engineering in DIT. Im only in 1st year and dont really like the course,so im considering dropping out. If I was to join the guards would having no degree or having a engineering degree affect my pay and my abilty to get into the guards? I think I would be able to stick it but I have to be sure it would be worth while. I live in bray so if i was to join the guards..could I get posted close to home? or would I have no say in the matter what so ever? Is it worth joining the garda reserve to get some experience under my belt? And final question is there any simple items that they look for on your cv when deciding your application? eg are you a member of any club? have you helped out in your community? previous jobs? etc.

Any help would be greatly appriated.

Yours Faithfully,

Ciaran Wallace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GoingBk2School

Hi,

Having a degree bumps you up on the pay scale a bit, but I don't think it's a huge increase.

Beyond the basic requirements for education listed on the Garda website, there's no absolute musts that they look for on your CV, but I'm sure certain things would be looked favourably on - work in your community, like you said, for example. They're also very hot on there not being gaps in your CV, so you'd need to explain why you stopped your course, or at least that time in your life.

Oh ... and yes ... you can be posted anywhere in the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

It was in the paper today...there not recruiting yet, it's just telling you to register with public jobs.
    I dunno how many emails i've sent to the admin of the guarda college and all and havent received one reply so hopefully you lads can help me out here :) are they really recruitin again soon?

Details of whatever yas know will help greatly because im honestly completely in the dark with it.

I've signed up to publicjobs.ie and stuck the guardaí down to recieve updates on recruitment but what way does it work? will they send me a msg or email with all the details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Bonito wrote: »
    I dunno how many emails i've sent to the admin of the guarda college and all and havent received one reply so hopefully you lads can help me out here :) are they really recruitin again soon?

Details of whatever yas know will help greatly because im honestly completely in the dark with it.

I've signed up to publicjobs.ie and stuck the guardaí down to recieve updates on recruitment but what way does it work? will they send me a msg or email with all the details?

right at present there is a mortoatrium= (freeze) in place on all public sector recruitment and this only will be lifted if the minister for finance says so.. its is supposed to be in place till the end of 2010.. so know one really knows when there is a recruitment drive going to start its all a matter of hoping and praying..

da__flash wrote: »
    right at present there is a mortoatrium= (freeze) in place on all public sector recruitment and this only will be lifted if the minister for finance says so.. its is supposed to be in place till the end of 2010.. so know one really knows when there is a recruitment drive going to start its all a matter of hoping and praying..
    2010!!! right looks like ill be doin a few fás courses till then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

I was in wicked form the other day with Garda Hq nd maybe
    it was a sign a lady accross te street work in amin in Garda HQ
    and funny enough she's paly pal ith some Guards. Anyway cut a long
    story short I thaught I was sure on my facts and figures but what he and
    she told me was promising. She assured me that there was just under 200
    left in the backlog and not to believe hear say as she was well aware of the figures!.The Guard told me there has been over 800 retirements this year so far and that HQ is hinting at March for a Drive!.

Fingers crossed!.

forgive the typing errors!.

• Advertisement

March?? Excellent news!!! Thanks for the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

I would not believe anything from anyone until I have a firm phone call from HQ. The last 6 months have been nothing but rumour after rumour. My aunt heard from the postman who's sister is friends with the brother of a nurse whos married to a Garda, Bull****e. Give your nerves a holiday, at least till after budget.

Yeh this is a forum and people usually post what the hear!. It's not done
    to dash or up hopes and I could vouch for this person and Our nerves
    are fine thank you very much.Oh and while your at it tell the postman who's sister is friends with the brother of a nurse who's married to that
    privileged Garda that he hasn't got a clue what he's raving about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Lads, seriously, will ye knock it off?

Ruairi,

Are you one of us that has all stages complete and just waiting to start Templemore ? Maybe if you were then you would understand the rumours issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

lads if ye feel its noting but rumours why do ye contiuely come on here to check it.. you cannot tell someone to stop giving there opinons or what they heard its a public forum, so if you think its all aload of bull my suggestion is dont come on to the forum...

da__flash wrote: »
    lads if ye feel its noting but rumours why do ye contiuely come on here to check it.. you cannot tell someone to stop giving there opinons or what they heard its a public forum, so if you think its all aload of bull my suggestion is dont come on to the forum...

We're never going to stop the rumours, as unhelpful as they are. However, if we all want to be Gards, we would do well to learn to be a bit discerning with regards the info we're fed and not hang on every word that's thrown out there! : o )

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Lads, I can't believe your having this argument again. To be fair to ruairi, he did say exactly how he got this info, so there is no way you could mix it up as fact. Ya, it is hardly reliable, but I for one enjoy a little hope.

Adrian, I understand your frustration, but it is also as frustrating for people yet to even get into the system. Alot of people do have there lives on hold for some time now and it is extremely frustrating.

Keep the posts coming, and if anyone does hear any rumours, please do tell the rest of us, but also tell us how you heard them so we can judge for ourselves their reliability and either take it or leave it as we see fit.

Here's hoping fore the new year. Its been a long time, but it will be all worth it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

Geansai wrote: »
    Lads, I can't believe your having this argument again. To be fair to ruairi, he did say exactly how he got this info, so there is no way you could mix it up as fact. Ya, it is hardly reliable, but I for one enjoy a little hope.

Adrian, I understand your frustration, but it is also as frustrating for people yet to even get into the system. Alot of people do have there lives on hold for some time now and it is extremely frustrating.

Keep the posts coming, and if anyone does hear any rumours, please do tell the rest of us, but also tell us how you heard them so we can judge for ourselves their reliability and either take it or leave it as we see fit.

Here's hoping fore the new year. Its been a long time, but it will be all worth it in the end.

fair point Geansai couldnt agree more...people can post what they want as long as moderators are happy with same..roll on the new year!!

Guy's I for 1 love's nothing more than the truth no matter how hard to swallow.I'm only telling you what this administrator and Guard told me
    who are friends of the family!.

I'm not trying to stir emotions here and without mentoning names but
    I'm as passionate about joining the Guards as is the next lad or lady here on boards.I personally post things with only positive intentions
    and will continue to do so because it's nice to be informed!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Guy's I for 1 love's nothing more than the truth no matter how hard to swallow.I'm only telling you what this administrator and Guard told me
    who are friends of the family!.

I'm not trying to stir emotions here and without mentoning names but
    I'm as passionate about joining the Guards as is the next lad or lady here on boards.I personally post things with only positive intentions
    and will continue to do so because it's nice to be informed!.

Cheers for letting us know ruairi88 any sort of hope is welcome at this stage. If you do hear more let us know ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

This thread is so quiet!!:p
    Anyone in the Christmas mood yet?:D:D
    I'm hoping theres a drive sometime next year!!!that's my Christmas wish:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

I wrote my list to Santa Lenihan already!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

I wrote my list to Santa Lenihan already!!!

You're in there early so:p
    How are ya finding all the waiting around?Im learning the virtue of patience thats for sure!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

I'm liking all this Christmas cheer!!!
    Can I just ask a bit of a random question...I have a chance to apply for a graduate programme in the UK next year. The idea is that it will give me something to do until the next Garda recruitment campaign. So I am just wondering, will living outside of Ireland for next year affect my Garda application? Do u have to have lived in Ireland for the last couple of years? I'd be over and back the whole time, I'm just afraid to sign up to anything whithout checking it up first!! Thanks in advance!!!;)

No you should have no problem with that. The only thing that will happen is that the Gardai will have to background check you with the UK authorities. I wish I had made the most of the past year instead of hanging around waiting. Any extra qualifications can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    No you should have no problem with that. The only thing that will happen is that the Gardai will have to background check you with the UK authorities. I wish I had made the most of the past year instead of hanging around waiting. Any extra qualifications can only be a good thing.

thanks a million for that!! yeah i know, im just trying to think of something productive to do for the year! it'd be terrible to go away and then discover it was going to prevent an application to the guards for a couple of years..!!! :eek: thanks again!!

After a week long wait on a reply from Tullamore I received this email today

John

There is currently no recruitment and we do not know when the next recruitment will take place as this is a matter for the Government

Regards

Jerry O Mara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

the next recruitment drive is supposed to be 2 and a half years away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

podsieboy wrote: »
    the next recruitment drive is supposed to be 2 and a half years away

There are rumours flying around in all quarters.

There is no specific information which has been released regarding upcoming recruitment drives.

Quite a lot depends on the public finances, if there is an apparent improvement in the economy by the second half of next year which is expected it can only be good news for those waiting for the call.

Advertisement