Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

thyroid misery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

^^^ Couldn't say it any better than that^^^ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Happydays, I would find a new GP and I would buy a book on thyroid conditions. But as a crash course - The thyroid gland produces a number of hormones, the main function of which is to regulate the energy household of your body (so hence, no energy = tired, cold, weight gain, brain fog, etc). The body does this by monitoring the amount of circulating hormones in your blood, if it gets low, the pituitary gland in your brain releases a hormone (TSH) that then tells the thyroid gland to get going and produce more hormones. These are mainly T4 (it's the "storage hormone") and T3 (the active form, it's T4 minus one iodine molecule), and very little amounts of T2 and T1 (the exact role of which are still not fully understood).
    So, if your thyroid is defunct (either due to low iodine, or due to autoimmune disease or something else), it cannot produce enough (or any!)) T4 and T3, so hence, your pituitary spits out TSH like mad, in an effort to get the thyroid to produce hormones. So therefore, when your TSH test comes back high, but your thyroid hormones are low, it shows that your gland isn't working. But in terms of how bad things are, you need to look at the concentration of the circulating hormones, T4 and T3. There are two forms in which they are tested, either total T4 and total T3 or Free T4 and Free T3. The latter is more useful, as it tells you how much "available" hormone there is in your blood (the "total" also takes into account hormone still bound to proteins). The majority of doctors will only test T4 (sometimes free sometimes total) and judge your condition by that value, but T3 (as it is the active form) is actually the more important one, so you should ask for a free T3 test.
    Quite often, these tests all come back within the normal range, but one still feels unwell, and there is about a million reasons why that can be, so it would be to difficult to go into all of this here, but low iron is definitely a player in this game, so you need to get your iron levels up.
    As Wyldwood has said, many GPs seem to think (and have told me so!) that thyroid is very easy to treat so if someone like us comes along with complaints we're being labelled as stressed, depressed or hypochondriac.
    Not taking your thyroid meds for 6 weeks is not a very good idea, as these are supposed to remain at a certain level in the blood and T4 gets converted into T3 on demand. Many people I have met/come across swear by taking it very early in the morning and always at the same time. There is some research that shows you get better results taking it at night (that goes for Eltroxin or other T4 only preparations).

In any case, I would try and find a new GP or an endocrinologist (but some of them are just as ignorant as GPs when it comes to thyroid, so tell us where you are and maybe someone can recommend one. I'm in Dublin, so unfortunately don't know about docs in the midlands.
    There are also different types of treatment, the standard one in Ireland is Eltroxin (T4 only preparation). But there is also a T3 only product, and there are also natural pig gland derived products (these have T4, T3, T2 and T1 in them) - these are very hard to get prescribed, as they are not licensed and most GPs have never even heard of them. But there are some docs here that do prescribe them, so if that's a route you may consider at some stage there are several people on this forum that can advise on where to go to get them.
    What you need to do is get tested for: TSH, FreeT4, FreeT3, TPO (antibodies to see if you're condition is autoimmune), Iron, Vit B12, Folate, Vit D. You also need a kidney function test, a liver function test, blood glucose, and lipids - all of these can go haywire when the thyroid is not working properly. Also good to get your cortisol tested (8AM if possible) - this is to see if your adrenals are working ok.
    When you have all of these you'll be in a better position to decide on your next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

That's an excellent post cltt97

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

Yes, excellent post there cltt97. So, if anyone new arrives to this blog and wants to inform themselves about the thyroid function, could you please read the entries on the blogs first, and then ask your questions, as many of the answers you may be looking for are already there.

I've just noticed in the last few days I'm getting a twitching sensation on my forehead, usually lasts for about 20 seconds, then goes, and I get it maybe 5 times a day. Its unnerving when it happens. I googled it, seems like there's a link between this and drinking coffee. Now, I usually enjoy only one cup of coffee a day, and its always decaf, so I'm a little bit perplexed, is this another little everyday common treat I'm gonna have to give up? I'll be living like a mormon in no time. Anyone else have this before?

Also, had a little setback with swimming, got an ear infection, which results from swimming a lot and air travel (which I've done a lot lately and noticed my ears aching a lot when descending to land). Now my weight is starting to go higher again. I can't really do much land exercise as I went over on my ankle 3 weeks ago, so I have to be careful with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I've just noticed in the last few days I'm getting a twitching sensation on my forehead, usually lasts for about 20 seconds, then goes, and I get it maybe 5 times a day. Its unnerving when it happens. I googled it, seems like there's a link between this and drinking coffee. Now, I usually enjoy only one cup of coffee a day, and its always decaf, so I'm a little bit perplexed, is this another little everyday common treat I'm gonna have to give up? I'll be living like a mormon in no time. Anyone else have this before?

I'd assume the reference to coffee is in regards to caffeine...so the fact that your one cup of heaven per day is de-caff, I'd say your continued coffee consumption is grand. Is there anything else you may have that is caffeinated, eg tea or coke etc.?
    (And, not that its any of my business, but if its decaff and you enjoy drinking coffee- why do you limit yourself to just one a day?)

However, I do very occasionally get similar twitches, and find its usually (for me anyway) due to lack of sleep or just being over-tired.

Here's hoping you just need a little more shut-eye and that its not something more sinister.

• Advertisement

I sometimes get this very central concentrated tightness in the center of my forehead and it feels like a magnet is pulling, and for me it's also due to lack of rest and more so, dehydration - if I don't drink enough (and I never feel thirsty, so it's a real chore) I end up getting this. Never had this before my thyroid saga began... also experiences some weird twitchy waves inside my brain when I went hyper about two years ago, thankfully haven't had that again since, that was truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

hi cltt97 and wyldwood
    thank you so much for your brilliant advice - cltt97 i hope you didnt find it too cumbersome posting that very detailed reply to me, but boy do you know your stuff. i really do appriciate it and am going to ask my doctor for my past results as i have had bloods done 3/4 times in past 6 years so would be interesting now i know what i should be looking for to see what they say. i am now taking my head out of the sand with regard to this problem! I just hadnt time to as the children were so young and there was no time for me!
    thank you both again so much and i will keep you posted

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Is it common with Hashimoto's to feel what I can only describe as a sudden blood sugar drop? I feel this regularly, I wouldn't call it fatigue, just total energy abandonment, the inability to carry out whatever you were concentrating on at the time and the urge for sugars, even though this doesn't always help. I even bought a blood sugar monitor to test this and when I do hit the slump and test myself my blood sugar is actually normal. Before I started on eltroxin my tsh was at 25, after a few months of 100mg it's at 5.4, so the endocrinologist during the week told me to take 200mg one day a week and 100mg the rest. I've only started with this adjustment... will a step down from 5.4 to say 3 or 4 make the big difference, because I haven't noticed much change yet. I plan to request a lot of the tests cltt97 mentions, have always thought maybe it was Iron deficiency or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mama3

Wow!! Cltt97 you are a mind full of information on this subject and I only wish I had found this thread before now but hopefully someone here will be able to help me..

I was diagnoised with underactive thyroid when I was 12 years old which is 31 years ago now and have been on various levels of Eltroxin for the past 31 years but tbh in the last year or so the side effects of the Eltroxin have become more troublesome than the hyprothyroidism so asked my GP about Armour after doing some research on the internet but he had never heard of it, he did look it up but said he was unable to prescribe it to me, and that was the end of that. I have since moved GP's for other reasons and the new GP also said he couldn't prescribe Armour. I have got to a point now that I only take the Eltroxin for a week or so every 6-7 weeks when I become so fuzzy and slow I have to iykwim. I would really really be grateful if someone could tell me of a Doctor/Endo in Dublin that will prescribe Armour or even consider it - Thank you.

This is a great thread :)

Zippy - I get that, too, this total energy zap - but for me this only happens with certain foods and I have to be careful what I eat - especially at lunch time. If I eat the wrong thing or give in to chocolate temptations afterwards, I'm doomed for about 2 hours. I find carbs are very bad and I do much better with proteins. I've also been on a gluten free diet for ages, although honestly I haven't noticed all that much difference, but since there seems a well evidenced link between Hashimoto's and coeliac disease I decided to come off it anyway. The TSH levels don't really tell you all that much, only how well your galnd is (still) working, better to look at your FT4 levels (or even better FT3, but these are hardly ever included in routine testing and you have to specifically ask, and even then might not get!)

Mama3 - may I ask what type of side effects you are experiencing (I've been there myself, so asking out of curiosity and also to increase the pool of information). The thing is, you're not doing yourself any favours only taking it every 6 weeks or so, as it can have a serious knock-on effect on a lot of other functions. I came off Eltroxin altogether for a lengthy period and although I felt reasonably ok energy-wise, I could really see the effect on other things, like triglycerides, kidney function (you do not want to mess with your kidneys!!!), cholesterol, etc, etc.
    The thing with Armour, etc is, that it is not licensed here, but if a doctor decided that you need this medication they CAN prescribe it for you, on a named basis (i.e. the pharmacy can only get it for you specifically and only dispense it to you). My GP had never heard of it and didn't want to know and I think no GP would go anywhere near unlicensed medicine without the instruction of a consultant.

• Advertisement

cltt97 wrote: »
    Zippy - I get that, too, this total energy zap - but for me this only happens with certain foods and I have to be careful what I eat - especially at lunch time. If I eat the wrong thing or give in to chocolate temptations afterwards, I'm doomed for about 2 hours. I find carbs are very bad and I do much better with proteins. I've also been on a gluten free diet for ages, although honestly I haven't noticed all that much difference, but since there seems a well evidenced link between Hashimoto's and coeliac disease I decided to come off it anyway. The TSH levels don't really tell you all that much, only how well your galnd is (still) working, better to look at your FT4 levels (or even better FT3, but these are hardly ever included in routine testing and you have to specifically ask, and even then might not get!)

Makes sense.. because the day I posted, I only realised a few hours later - I had soy sauce (about a table spoon) in a stir fry the night before. Probably wouldn't help at all. I've asked the gp a few times do I need to look out for anything in my diet and he said - if there was something you needed to look out for they would be obliged to mention it in the medication leaflet... obviously not. I've since had my blood tested for iron, b12, folate, vitamin d, and cortisol and am awaiting the results. I'm also going to do a dietary experiment over the next few weeks to see how I get on - cutting out things like dairy, soya, alcohol unnatural sugars. I don't think I could cope without bread. Dairy's going to be pretty tough, not to mention alcohol. My GP reckons I'm spending to much time "looking at these things on the internet" to which my response was "I wouldn't be looking only I'm feeling so crap?" he pretty much said "point taken".

Maybe try and keep a food diary, write down everything you eat and note down if you feel good or bad, after a while you will be able to see what has an effect. And re bread, just try and avoid white bread, try go for wholemeal breads, rye breads, breads with seeds, or basically something that is not just empty calories. The prepacked sliced white breads are really just nothing but glue without any nutrients.
    Dairy is really hard if you go full throttle, because so many things have dairy as a hidden ingredient, like dried milk powder, etc... so always read the label!

Thanks for the tips! No I never eat white bread... food of demons!! I probably won't go super strict with the dairy, I'm just interested to cut a lot of it out for a few weeks to see if there's a difference as I eat so much of it - I'll be using lactose free milk with cereals, cutting out cheese, changing to oil based spreads, no yogurt or cream, things like that.

Just like to share a few things.......I've been feeling really well lately, and I think it has something to do with eating spelt bread. Spelt is related to wheat, infact in roman times, all their bread was made from spelt. However, somewhere between then and now, wheat became dominant, and harvesting wheat became dominant, maybe through the mechanisation of farm machinery in the USA.

So, anyways, you might find spelt bread in your local health food store, but don't buy it there since it won't be fresh and it will be expensive. Try your local supermarket or bakery, or even better still, your local market. Spelt and honey bread is my favourite. It fills you in, no burping afterwards, and is high in fibre. So, check it out. I've noticed I'm not hungry at all in the evenings, and this is really a blessing I've been looking for for a long time. I no longer view eating nice food as comforting. Maybe it has something to do with practicing yoga a lot too, but I feel really well in body mind and soul. Considering I was such a mess 2 years ago, there is hope for everyone.

Great news that you are feeling so well LimerickBishop. Long may it last.
    I have to say I'm feeling quite well also since I came off the Eltroxin. I'm sure I'll have to go back on it again in the future but I'll certainly monitor myself much more closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid recently. I want to go on the pill but I heard there is a problem with taking the pill and eltroxin. Is there anyone that is in the same predicament as I am?
    Can I take the pill and eltroxin together???? I mainly want to go on it to see will it help with my skin breaking out?

Also anybody taking iodine? Has it helped?

Hi Cltt, Sorry for not replying sooner, I understand what you are saying about going on and off the eltroxin but untill I find a doctor that can come up with a soloution am not to sure what else to do.

Without the eltroxin I suffer with
    the constant feeling cold,
    foggy head
    dry skin
    crazy tiredness....

however when I take the Eltroxin I get rid of most of them but gain
    diahorrea,
    stomach cramps,
    muscle cramps in legs,
    pin & needles in hands (or as ds3 calls it fizzy fingers)
    headaches that feel like someone is trying to push my eyeballs out. !!
    and blurry vision.

So as you see the side effects are now as bad if not worse than the original symptoms, when I am taking the Eltroxin for a while and all the above side effects disappeared but the cronic tiredness and foggyiness take over so I go back on them untill I can't stand the side effects. Its a catch 22 situation, I have been tested for lots of other things, ceoliac, diabeties, cronins, ibs, and all come back clear.... so the only reason for the cramps and diahorrea is the eltroxin... I have actually gone for a whole day without eating if I am going out because if I even have a cuppa tea it runs through me. I know that there are a lot worse things in life but it does impact on your everyday life - tis a pain in the rear (pardon the pun Lol)

I am also overweight, sometimes I wonder how as I eat very little, tbh the weight doesn't bother me at all I have always been heavy and happy with it, but have started a food diary since reading this thread and have noticed that the twice I have eaten beef I felt yucky in general the next day so going to continue to keep the diary and see what it shows up. Thank you for that suggestion. And a suggestion for anyone else thinking of keeping a food diary its easy to do on the diary mobile app for iphone/smart phones.

hope your all feeling well.

Hi Rubygirl as I said before I am on eltroxin a long time and was on two different pills at different stages in my life, before kids I was on minulet (I think that was what it was called) and inbetween kids I was on celest both times I would have been on substantial doses of Eltroxin (up to 400mg per day) and took the pill with no problems or complications. Hope that helps.

Hi ladies,

To Rubygirl: I have no idea about the pill to be honest, but I have never really heard anything about not taking it, but I suppose that's a question for an endocrinologist... Re the iodine, it depends on whether you have Hashimoto's or whether your underactivity is due to iodine deficiency. If it is the latter, it would help, but if it's the autoimmune form it is generally not recommended, as it can aggravate the inflammatory process. This is due to an increase in activity of TPO (it's an enzyme in the thyroid gland) - and in Hashimoto's the body forms antibodies against TPO, so the more of TPO, the more antibodies and more inflammatory process. If your underactivity is not due to an autoimmune process, then it can be helpful, however, you need to be very careful with the dose, as you can end up making the situation worse. This is called WOLFF-CHAIKOFF'S EFFECT (The thyroid gland has a capacity to reduce thyroid hormone production in the presence of excess iodine by reducing the organification of the iodine. This Wolff-Chaikoff effect is observed after 48 hours and protects the organism from excessive synthesis of the thyroid hormones). So things like Kelp can actually be quite dangerous as the concentration can be highly variable and in some cases dangerously high.

To mama3: 400mcg Eltroxin seems a crazy high dose, normally people take somewhere around 120 mcg. So if you needed that high a dose it would suggest that maybe your body doesn't convert the T4 into T3 sufficiently and you may even produce a lot of reverse T3 (which doesn't work), so you end up with all the T4 pooling in your body and not being able to make any use of it. Many sufferers have reported that this makes them quite ill, so in your case it would be vital to get free T3 levels tested. It might also be way better for you to even try a T3 product only. Again, very hard to find someone willing to prescribe T3 products.
    I had problems with Eltroxin myself, my side effects were more of the brain shockwave variety and racing pulse and heart and a general feeling of being close to collapsing. The headaches I know very well, too. To me it always felt like there was too much pressure in my head.... Very unpleasant indeed. I came off Eltroxin altogether for several months and then switched to Erfa Thyroid (similar to Armour) but also found that I had serious troubles tolerating it. So I started at minute doses and increased very slowly and at very tiny amounts until I got somewhere into the normal range. I think once you've gotten sensitive to the hormone it's very hard to get the body to tolerate it (again). However, this is total speculation on my part and by no means scientifically substantiated. I also did an adrenal saliva test which showed that my cortisol rhythm was a bit all over the place so I started taking very small doses of Hydrocortisone, because if the adrenal glands are worn out, and cortisol production is low the body can't cope with the thyroid hormones. All very complicated really...
    So, if I was you, I would get myself an adrenal saliva test, see what comes out there, if it indicates a problem, I would go for an ACTH stim test (to check if your adrenals are actually working ok), I would get my FT3 tested and also Cortisol (in the blood), get a renal profile to make sure your electrolytes are in the normal range, Ferritin, B12 and Vit D and I would consider trying a T3 product only. For all of the above you need an endocrinologist (apart from the saliva test - that you can order from the UK and do it yourself). Armour or Erfa work quite well for some people, as it has a bit of T3 in it, but if you have a conversion problem it will again not solve the problem. So you need a bit of investigative testing to see what the root of the problems you're describing is.

To mama3: 400mcg Eltroxin seems a crazy high dose, normally people take somewhere around 120 mcg. So if you needed that high a dose it would suggest that maybe your body doesn't convert the T4 into T3 sufficiently and you may even produce a lot of reverse T3 (which doesn't work), so you end up with all the T4 pooling in your body and not being able to make any use of it. Many sufferers have reported that this makes them quite ill, so in your case it would be vital to get free T3 levels tested. It might also be way better for you to even try a T3 product only. Again, very hard to find someone willing to prescribe T3 products.

Omg Cltt, that all sounds very possible tbh, I started on 50mg at the age of 12 and gradually was increased in line with blood results over the years and by the time I was in my late twenties was on about 200mg daily however having babies seemed to interfere with thing (lol) and went up to 300mg on the first two and 400mg on ds3, the last endo I saw said it was the second highest dose he had encountered personally but agreed that it was what I should be on, he also believed that my cramp/diaorrah problems were caused by something else, hence the tests for all other ailments, and he passed me onto a stomach/digestive specialist (she was lovely but found nothing) and she recommended me going back to endo..... at this point I am totally disillusioned by all the medical brigade and really wish I could find one that would actually LISTEN to me and maybe try something different... Actually my old GP was good but hard to get to see, but might give him another shot and talk to him about T3 only products.
    Also do get the heart racing thing but its only now and again so can cope with it, although it can be quite frightening at times. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me

• Advertisement

yes, all sounds like a bit of too much hormones! When I went a bit hyper, I got the whole diarrhoea thing as well, coupled with non stop hunger! Well, if you have no joy with your GP PM me and I send you the details of my endo. xxx

mama3, have you got hold of your historic TSH, Free T4 results? Are you sure that you're not over-medicated? I have just come down from almost a year of over-medication and had diarrhoea, racing heart and palpitations among other symptoms (not a nice experience). 400mg of Eltroxin is an extraordinary dose, as cltt97 says, half that would usually be top of normal dosage.

oops posted while cltt97 was posting so duplicate message!!

Can never have enough personal histories here :-)

Haven't been on 400mg daily since last year as came off all Eltroxin after yucky feeling christmas last year and have been on and off 100mg daily since and I do know how silly I am being self medicating but suppose I just gave up ifykwim.

This thread has spurred me into action though and am going to try again as am fed up being either "Foggy tired" or "crampy/toilet bound" which seem to be my options, would like to just find a happy balance... have no idea why my thyroid started playing up in the past few years as it was stable for a long time prior to that. , maybe it was turning 40 and the body/hormone changes that brings in itself.

Am going to go back to my own gp armed with a bit more information and tbh he really is a very good GP but as is often the way, by being so good it also means he is very buzy so not easy to get to see and I hate taking up his time on ramblings, he did look into Armour when I asked about it but just said that he wouldn't be able to prescribe it as it wasn't available in Ireland. Am going to ask him to do the bloods you mentioned and also discuss T3 only meds, think he will want to send me to another Endo *sigh*.

cltt might take you up on that pm, thank you.

Hi mama3, sounds like a good plan. I wonder have you ever tried just taking say 25 mcg every day for a while? I'm thinking if you take it on and off and occasionally "whack" the system with 100 mcg I can only imagine that the body goes into shock. And I think what happened to you was that you did go hyper, and from my own experience and also Wyldwoods, the only way to go then is to come off it altogether and VERY slowly start up on it again. It's like starting up a car, you need very little gas, you don't go full throttle, but steadily increase till the motor is running smoothly. the thyroid hormones are the same, very powerful and the body needs to adjust to it slowly (after having been deprived). Re the armour and erfa, it is not licensed here, but a doctor can prescribe it if he feels you need it. The pharmacy can then order it in. That's what I do, I have to order it in when I need it - Boots have done it for me and one of the Clery's pharmacies, too. No bother at all. Armour is cheaper than Erfa, but I find Erfa much better (different fillers).

God am kicking myself here, of course I am probably going to full strength to fast, why didn't I think of that, tbh because I was on 400mg for a long time 100mg is like a small dose in my mind iykwim. Thanks again this thread is just fantastic, as you all speak english and not in numbers and letters, have been on one or two dedicated thyroid sites but they just get so bogged down in science that I get lost and tend to give up trying to make sense of all the rates, afaik for years the levels that I was monitored on were T4, TSH and free T4, don't think that my T3 levels played a big part. Also going to try and get a copy of my blood over the past few years and see if there is any pattern to them.
    Lol I am a bit of a "Monica" so love doing spreadsheets and lists, will be happy to chart my bloods history!!! :rolleyes:

yeah I've been on a few "thyroid" forums as well, but they are too hardcore there for my liking, you leave them more worried than you were going on in the first place! And I found that a lot of people think because something works for them it MUST work for you. If I've learnt one thing with this thyroid malarkey is that everyone is completely different, reacts very differently and what works wonders for one half kills the next. It's a totally personal ride, we can just help each other by sharing experiences and knowledge.

To bored.com - your post got lost somewhere, but in response - the main symptoms of underactive thyroid are usually (singly or in combination)
    - feeling cold
    - feeling tired to extreme fatigue
    - brain fog, bad memory, bad concentration
    - loss of hair (sometimes outer eyebrows)
    - slow digestion/bloatedness
    - joint aches - quite often carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis in the feet
    - irritability/getting stressed easily
    - insomnia
    - gaining weight
    - and others, but the above appear to be the most common

Not all of these always occur and are very different for everyone. I for example never got brainfog or never felt very cold (which appear to be the most common). The whole weight gain thing is also I think if you get diagnosed quite late and at that stage your metabolism has slowed down big time and then it's hard to lose it and often people will find they finally have stopped putting on weight, but hardly ever lose any just by taking the meds. One of my friends got diagnosed very early and never had any weigh issues, I on the other hand had already put on about a stone and a half at the time I got diagnosed. Also, uncommon but not unusual is that people with overactive thyroids put on weight, when the opposite is expected. So with hormones, nothing is every predictable. Do you know if you have an underlying autoimmune illness that causes the underactive thyroid? It also depends on how "dead" your gland already is, if it is still functioning reasonably well, then it can still even out the "dry spells" (from not taking the hormones) but that might aggravate the autoimmune reaction, so try and stick to taking them regularly - first thing in the morning or last thing at night, it's a bit like playing roulette with the body when following an on/off medication regime. When did you have your last thyroid function test, and do you have your readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

can anyone tell me if they suffer really bad mood swings mine really scare me (phyco)but only when my tsh is high my levels swing up and down really quickly..last few 6.4 to 58.2 in 3 months then 0.5 now 9.8 in 6wks..i have been on 50m eltroxin then 150m now 50m..which will have to be increased 2morrow..i have been like this for 3 yrs now up and down..only once in three yrs was it 2.3 and its the only time i felt well..not for long..cant seem to get my levels close 2 normal..my joints ache really bad legs back arms fingers..headaches ..freezing..fuzzy brain..tiredness is unreal i drag myself through most days..hair falling out again..you name it ive had it or have it..i put reminders in my ph for everything..not much joy left in me dont laugh as much as i used 2 nothing excites me..seem as if my life is just a chore..i could scream right now i get so angery and its not the old me..and i dont like this new me..sorry but 2day is a really bad day...if someone could say try this it worked for me..

• Advertisement

bridgy67,

Look at your diet. I noticed a huge difference in my feelings when I starting eating more fish. Eat fish 4 times a week. I really love fish so it was easy for me to choose to eat more. Cut back on red meat. Don't eat fried food. Cut back on caffeine, take herbal teas and green teas instead. All I can say is that it worked for me.

Advertisement