Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-04-2021, 22:20   #1
whodafunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 474
Pre molar root canal treatment

Hi,

I’ve been referred for root canal treatment on a pre molar tooth. I got an appointment for about 5 weeks away however I rang today to get a price. €975. I rang 2 local dentists- one €500 the other €600. Big difference in prices. I’m guessing it’s the same treatment? (initial place is an orthodontist- the cheaper places are regular dentists). What are people’s thoughts? Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks
whodafunk is offline  
Advertisement
21-04-2021, 22:27   #2
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5,300
Endodontist rather than orthodontist. They specialise in root canal treatments. If your Dentist is referring you rather than doing it him/herself, it means either the anatomy of the tooth is such that it would be difficult to achieve a good result, or there is very little of the tooth remaining and an Endodontist will use a microscope to do the treatment, preserving as much dentine as possible for restoration of the tooth with a filling or crown. Bare in mind, if the root canal is not successful, a bridge or implant costs more to replace the tooth. This is why Endodontists charge more for their expertise than Dentists.
Dav010 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
21-04-2021, 22:30   #3
whodafunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Endodontist rather than orthodontist. They specialise in root canal treatments. If your Dentist is referring you rather than doing it him/herself, it means either the anatomy of the tooth is such that it would be difficult to achieve a good result, or there is very little of the tooth remaining and an Endodontist will use a microscope to do the treatment, preserving as much dentine as possible for restoration of the tooth with a filling or crown. Bare in mind, if the root canal is not successful, a bridge or implant costs more to replace the tooth. This is why Endodontists charge more for their expertise than Dentists.
Many thanks for your response. Makes complete sense.
whodafunk is offline  
Thanks from:
22-04-2021, 10:39   #4
whodafunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Endodontist rather than orthodontist. They specialise in root canal treatments. If your Dentist is referring you rather than doing it him/herself, it means either the anatomy of the tooth is such that it would be difficult to achieve a good result, or there is very little of the tooth remaining and an Endodontist will use a microscope to do the treatment, preserving as much dentine as possible for restoration of the tooth with a filling or crown. Bare in mind, if the root canal is not successful, a bridge or implant costs more to replace the tooth. This is why Endodontists charge more for their expertise than Dentists.
Hi. Apologies - just one further question. A local dentists offer endodontic treatment for €750. I was told they have microscope and the dentist trained in endodontics. Am I better going with my dentists referral (endodontic specialist) for the €975 or is this other offering at €750 much the same treatment? Thank you
whodafunk is offline  
22-04-2021, 13:33   #5
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodafunk View Post
Hi. Apologies - just one further question. A local dentists offer endodontic treatment for €750. I was told they have microscope and the dentist trained in endodontics. Am I better going with my dentists referral (endodontic specialist) for the €975 or is this other offering at €750 much the same treatment? Thank you
All Dentists are trained in endodontics, it’s taught at undergraduate level, but an Endodontist is someone who has done another couple of years specialist training. So ask the cheaper Clinic if you will be seeing someone with a Specialist qualification.
Dav010 is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-04-2021, 09:32   #6
whodafunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
All Dentists are trained in endodontics, it’s taught at undergraduate level, but an Endodontist is someone who has done another couple of years specialist training. So ask the cheaper Clinic if you will be seeing someone with a Specialist qualification.
Thank you for that. Much appreciated. I understand as per their website the cheaper clinic use microscope and the dentist is studying her 3rd masters in endodontics with Kings College University London.

Last edited by whodafunk; 24-04-2021 at 13:06.
whodafunk is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet