Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Isn't there also an issue around cargo loads, and the potential for cargo revenues?

I'd also just wonder about what might be termed the comparative analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_busiest_airports_by_international_passenger_traffic

Dublin is the 27th busiest international airport by international passenger traffic. Every other airport on that top thirty list has a runway of at least 3,000m. Some, like Munich, have a 4,000m runway.

I just can't shake that feeling that we might be missing something.

we're also the only one without a fixed rail connection to our airport with the exception of Mallorca

owenc wrote: »
    Its actually not irrelevant.

People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL

Incorrect northerners travel to Dublin to access a whole host of European destinations, even as close as Barcelona and Paris. Keep in mind Ryanair no longer operates from Belfast at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Many of those customers will be repeat or even triple customers. Most of those customers will be flying long haul and a majority of those customers will be from County Down.

Do you spend a lot of time on the M1 giving survey's to passing Northern reg cars by any chance?

There are 3 very definite statements there that I would love to see backed up by actual data. Especially considering that you live "miles and miles from Dublin", and "60 mile's from Belfast"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Many of those customers will be repeat or even triple customers. Most of those customers will be flying long haul and a majority of those customers will be from County Down.

I work in T2 at DUB and meet many of those travelling through every day and can quite honestly say i've met many from all parts of NI. Some tell you where they're from and how long it took to get down and their reasons for using DUB. For some it's the variety of routes,and you'll see as many on the bucket and spade routes as long haul,and some it's economic. Despite the extra cost of travelling down south the cost often still comes in under what it would cost ex-Belfast due to the APD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

IrishAir98 wrote: »
    You are by far the most idiotic person I've met on this website. You say that Northern Irish residents only use Dublin Airport for Long Haul and they only use BFS and BHD for short haul because Dublin is too far away? What kind of utter nonsense is going through your head?! I live in the most North-Western part of Donegal and I can safely say most of the people here will choose Dublin over Belfast any day. Even though it's an extra hours drive Dublin has a much more variety of destinations than any of the Belfast airports Short Haul and Long Haul.

I see you're new to Boards,please read the Forum Charter near the top of the forum. One of its key points is 'attack the post,not the poster'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

lord lucan wrote: »
    I work in T2 at DUB and meet many of those travelling through every day and can quite honestly say i've met many from all parts of NI. Some tell you where they're from and how long it took to get down and their reasons for using DUB. For some it's the variety of routes,and you'll see as many on the bucket and spade routes as long haul,and some it's economic. Despite the extra cost of travelling down south the cost often still comes in under what it would cost ex-Belfast due to the APD.

Oh really? Well I was under the impression that most people here don't use Dublin airport because of how far away it is. I've only met one person who has used for short haul and that person said she would never make that journey ever again.

Oh really? Well I was under the impression that most people here don't use Dublin airport because of how far away it is. I've only met one person who has used for short haul and that person said she would never make that journey ever again.

That is anecdotal at best. Your earlier statement was that 'nobody' in NI uses DUB for short haul, when statistics show a growing number of passengers at DUB coming from NI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There are 1.8m people living in NI. How many have you asked? Even if its everyone you know, it's not a representative sample of the population of NI. This is why it's been pointed out to you that the number of people from NI actually travelling through DUB proves that you are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The regulator have increased the runway cap from 23.5 to 25 million

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Cause god forbid theyd actually have to let the runway be built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The regulator have increased the runway cap from 23.5 to 25 million

Does that mean the runway can only be built once we hit 25m ppa?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Afaik yes.it would have to exceed 25m

Razor44 wrote: »
    Afaik yes.it would have to exceed 25m

Is there any reason as to why they have upped the limit?

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Is there any reason as to why they have upped the limit?

They are proposing to cut charges by 22% between 2015-2019.

Have a look at the proposals:
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2014-05-29%20Draft%20Determination%20Airport%20Charges.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just to be clear - this is a draft determination on Dublin Airport charges that is currently out for review and comment - it has not been signed off yet.

The full document is here:
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/news/commission-publishes-draft-determination-on-dublin-airport-charges-2015-2019.661.html

Here is the proposed capital investment programme for Dublin Airport for the period 2015-2019:
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2014-05-29%20DAA%20Capital%20Investment%20Proposals.pdf

Reducing the passenger charge could potentially bring in more PAX as the flights would be cheaper and they would be more inclined to fly out of Dublin.. They say in the report that it could be 2019 before we hit 24mppa. Could be up to 2020's before the runway would be breaking ground!?

lxflyer wrote: »
    Just to be clear - this is a draft determination on Dublin Airport charges that is currently out for review and comment - it has not been signed off yet.

The full document is here:
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/news/commission-publishes-draft-determination-on-dublin-airport-charges-2015-2019.661.html

Here is the proposed capital investment programme for Dublin Airport for the period 2015-2019:
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2014-05-29%20DAA%20Capital%20Investment%20Proposals.pdf

Very little usually changes but expcet daa will want less of a charges reduction however 25m for runway won't change and tbh with better use of current runway there is no reason why it should be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

How is this supposed to square with the draft National Aviation Policy?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90507226&postcount=1

In particular, the strategic importance of Dublin Airport extends far beyond its geographic catchment area and its future is critically bound up with the Irish economy e.g. inward investment, tourism, trade etc. This strategic importance is also reflected in the nature and extent of the competition that Dublin Airport faces. <...>

Many of the respondents considered that Dublin Airport is the only airport in the State which could be described as critical to national business and tourism needs. It handles 80% of all passengers into and out of the State and 85% of air freight. <....>

To ensure future connectivity and to deliver growth, it will be important that the State airports, Dublin in particular, have runways of sufficient length to enable services to operate to global emerging markets without weight restriction.<...> By 2025, 136 new cities are expected to enter the world‘s top 600, all of them in the developing world and overwhelmingly in China.

Using current aircraft fleets, it is not possible to reach many of these top cities from the existing runway at Dublin Airport.<...> Dublin Airport is constrained as a result of it not having a parallel runway. Both Shannon and Cork Airports have considerable scope to increase passenger numbers with their existing infrastructure<...>Dublin Airport has secured the land needed for such a runway. While planning permission has already been secured by the DAA for the project, this may need to be revisited to take account of any future Government decisions on a second runway following the outcome of the infrastructure/capacity review that DAA will be required to carry out in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

Just on the second link in Lxflyer post, what airlines are they trying to move out of Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 at peak times. Would I be correct to assume Etihad and possibly Emirates?? Surly they can't expect US carriers to check in in T1 and clear USPC in T2?

RonanM123 wrote: »
    Just on the second link in Lxflyer post, what airlines are they trying to move out of Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 at peak times. Would I be correct to assume Etihad and possibly Emirates?? Surly they can't expect US carriers to check in in T1 and clear USPC in T2?

I believe they can't move Emirates due to the aircraft they use (B777) as it won't fit in T1. Could be wrong though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Very little usually changes but expcet daa will want less of a charges reduction however 25m for runway won't change and tbh with better use of current runway there is no reason why it should be a problem.

Doesn't the current runway badly need to be rebuilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I think some European Aer lingus flights could be moved to T1 as most of the ques are from Aer lingus side. Would help ease capacity. problem is its just the morning. theres plenty of check in space in the afternoons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

How is this supposed to square with the draft National Aviation Policy?

The draft National Aviation Policy is exactly that. A draft of what the Government might like.

CAR is the economic regulator and deals with the here and now.

Its remit is to ensure that the dominant position of the DAA is not translated into abuse of the market.

Jhcx wrote: »
    I think some European Aer lingus flights could be moved to T1 as most of the ques are from Aer lingus side. Would help ease capacity. problem is its just the morning. theres plenty of check in space in the afternoons

Is it the queue's that are the problem or all the check in desks not being staffed enough at peak times?

I can't see it happening TBH, T2 was built for them primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What's wrong with bussing people from say the West Apron? Don't see that practice much anymore except at CDG for CityJet, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

The draft National Aviation Policy is exactly that. A draft of what the Government might like.

CAR is the economic regulator and deals with the here and now.

Its remit is to ensure that the dominant position of the DAA is not translated into abuse of the market.
    Grand, but there's a strategic interest at stake here. It would be rather silly for the regulator to see no problem in lumping Shannon's debts onto Dublin Airport users, while baulking at the prospect of an increase in fees funding an expansion in service.

There's no clear justification for moving the goalposts in the regulator's draft determination. It's a very strange move on their part. Interesting to see if it changes in the final version.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

Jhcx wrote: »

Aer Lingus already do this. There can be half a dozen EI aircraft on Pier B for the early departure wave.

Bessarion wrote: »
    Aer Lingus already do this. There can be half a dozen EI aircraft on Pier B for the early departure wave.

No actual check in. not gates

Is it the queue's that are the problem or all the check in desks not being staffed enough at peak times?

I can't see it happening TBH, T2 was built for them primarily.

Both. the lack of investment in Screens on the floor and having all counters bag drop. The day has come and gone where people need to be checking in at the desk. It still doesnt solve the problem but it should shorten que times at the counter. Having people who only have carryon gone from the que and the agent simply needs to add a bag to the PNR. granted you will always have people wishing to chop and change seats.

Was it. from what ive heard they asked for it to be specifically theirs. But its become a mess. In T1 You have area 14 no longer touched. and then only half the desks are used upstairs. plenty of room for EI to move some. Specially at peak times in the morning. evening T2 is all theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Some interesting proposals there, including the tweaking of Pier B (an extra jet bridge for an upper deck) to accommodate A380 ops. It also says Emirates are interested in using the whale.

Another is the widening of the apron immediately west of Pier B to allow ATRs etc to be nearer to Pier E. There are also plans for both minor alterations to taxiways for larger more cumbersome a/c, but the A380 is not specifically mentioned, as well as provision for more hold points at either end of the east-west runway - I'd welcome this especially as the knot of tarmac at the intersection of 16/34 and 10/28 doesn't strike oneself as being efficiently used. An extension to 10/28 (on which end - asssuming the West end - I'm not sure) is also in there, approx. 380m + taxiway tie ins.

A bus facility on the south side of T2 is also proposed, and it strikes of more short sightedness and would only add to the all-over-the-gaff nature of the airport at the minute, IMO.

And here's an interesting shape the airport could take in a few decades...

309310.JPG

Advertisement