Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Good Kit/Tips Thread

• 28-03-2009 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Right lads, this basically gonna be a thread for everyone to discuss and give tips for making life a little bit easier on the ground, whether it's what you should bring out on the ground down to easier ways to make yourself a bit of scoff.

It's also a place for everyone to discuss any kit they're considering buying or that they've already bought and would like to recommend to the rest of us. You can also provide links to any good sites you use to get your kit from.

One thing though, can we try keep it to what you've learned from personal experience or what you've been taught. Try keep the "Oh I saw this on a show, it looked really good blah blah blah" stuff to a minimum.

This could become a very good thread for the Forum as there's some very experienced folk here. So let's at least give it a bash
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I learned the hard way.........I was one of these "enthusiastic" warlords when I joined the Army. When I was goin on the ground I had all the gucci gear, even had my own NVE :o most of which I didnt need, I would ALWAYS bring extra bits and bobs..instead of 1 basha, id bring 4 bashas. etc etc, the backpack would be stuffed full of everything, enough for a whole section. That was the old me.....

.....This is the new me:

1/ Be mission specific. Dont pack for a 3 day Dig in if your going on a 2 hr CTR...Be smart, you pack it, you carry it.

2/ Instead of packing loads of bulky extra emergency rations.....
    Energy gels and John West sachets of Tuna are excellent, they are small and light and fit anywhere. Sachets of Dolmio sauces are also a great addition.

3/ Invest in a good Leatherman or equivalent. Id be lost without mine. Sooooo many applications. Keep sharp and watch the digits!!

4/ A good baselayer is essential, dryflo, Lowe Alpine, North Face......bicycle shorts are a must for me. If I go on the ground without them Il get nasty friction burn. A spare baselayer can also do as emergency clothing.

5/ 2 different pairs of gloves...heavy warm ones for the likes of hanging around Patrol Harbours doin stag!! . Leather padded ones for tactical work...great for FIBUA.

6/ Spend time packing and fitting your kit properly....no point being halfway over the hills with your ordnance digging into u....ul have enough stuff to deal with.

7/ Comfy boots!!!! If you have fallen arches make sure u bring your orthotics....bring spare laces or ul have to bungee your boot on!!!!!!!

8/ Remember....Trial and error is the only way to learn, advice can only go so far. Keep it light and keep it tight!

I hope this is of some use to someone....ENJOY:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

benwavner wrote: »
    3/ Invest in a good Leatherman or equivalent. Id be lost without mine. Sooooo many applications. Keep sharp and watch the digits!!

Keep it on Dum-Dum cord. I lost an expensive Leathernan in Sally Gap last year because I'm an idiot like that!!! (Anyone finds it give me a shout:D:D)

Your Not Rambo, and you definitely won'r need that 8 inch Bowie knfe that weigh's 3lbs. Don't strap it to your Webbing. It's added weight and looks stupid.

Sleep when you can, don't sleep in wet clothes,(I made this mistake!!!), Be constantly checking your weapon when you are on the move, Particularily the Barrel of a GPMG, it is possible for it to get lost.

Obviously, look after your Feet, you were only issued one set.

Don't carry everything, you only have one back, and you are presumably young enough to still need it for a few years.

Waterproof EVERYTHING!!! I didn't make this mistake, but a friend did!!!

Dry your weapon when you need to, rust is hard to get off.

If you are going to be stopped for a while, throw on your Norgie, it will get cold.

and finally for now, If you are the Platoon Commander on a Pothential officer course, don't send 3 lads from the Stop group, into the area where an Ambush just took place, wearing 3 Cyalumes on their Helmets. That was a bad move!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The Bicycle shorts/lycra is a great tip.Keep you warm and relativley chaff free!

The obvious stuff like talcon powder for your feet.

A wooly hat for the colder months.Norgie aswell.

And a bin bag to keep your gear dry in your ruck sack.

A plenty of packs of suger for the tea!!That is what I missed most!

Oo,and anti bacterial hand wash stuff,the self drying one,the one they use in hospital.The best thing I had on tactics.You never no what you will be handling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Waterproof EVERYTHING! During training I had the joy of marching back to Camp carrying someone elses Backpack after they'd all been ****ed in the River. Since it was supposed to be a normal Route March said person didn't waterproof their kit. After we'd all been put in the river along with the backpacks we were told to grab a pack and fall in. Cue me grabbing that pack, getting 2 of the lads to help me put it on my back and then marching back to Camp wishing I was dead... So really waterproof everything cause if it gets wet, you're looking at nearly double the weight.

If you're getting a bit of honk coming off stag or whatever, when you're getting into your bag take off all your warm gear. You should literally be getting into your bag in just your trousers and Dri-Flo. If you get into your bag wearing all your warm gear, when you wake up and get out of your bag you're gonna be ****ing freezing and you'll have no extra warm gear to put on. Get in with just your trousers and Dri-Flo on, when you wake up you'll be cold but you'll have all your warm gear to put on and heat you up.

LOOK AFTER YOUR FEET! Funnily enough, you tend to need them when you're soldiering.

Rations... Always have three sets of Rations. Have emergency rations in your CEFO/Battlevest, 24 hour rations in your Daysack and then your main meals in your Backpack.

A Hexi Cooker... Always carry a Hexi Cooker with you. Sure enough, everyone uses gas cookers including me but gas runs out and gas cookers can get damaged. So always carry a Hexi Cooker(Along with Hexi tabs!) cause you never know when you'll end up using it. You can get a resupply of Hexi tabs... You can't get a resupply of gas.

I'll post more later but I'll leave it at that for now.

Forgot to say,If your trousers are wet,sleep with them at the bottom of your bag.Usually dry by the morning.Worked for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say,If your trousers are wet,sleep with them at the bottom of your bag.Usually dry by the morning.Worked for me anyway.

x2.

It's always worked a treat for me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Get a couple of dri flos, best piece of kit i ever bought.

Pack your CEMO with what you use most at the top, and least at the bottom.

Bring plenty of babywipes for personal admin.

Go through ration packs and discard anything you know you wont use, no point bringing extra weight.

Its handy to keep a set of socks, jocks and a tshirt together in a zip loc bag, and put foot powder in the socks when youre packing.

Do not get into the sleeping bag with loads of clothes on because youre freezing, follow Poccington's advice and wear trousers (dry ones!!!) and a dri flo. Then when you get up, put on the wet clothes from the day before, youll be cold for about two minutes, but all the activity as youre packing up will dry you out very quickly. I find it handy aswell to use the norgie as a pillow, that way it absorbs your body heat, so when you get out of the sleeping bag and put it on, its nice and warm.

And definitely make sure you spend time setting up your CEFO (and CEMO) properly. That means making the adjustments when its packed with equipment, not when its empty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Use carabiners (Crab clips) to attach stuff to your gear. S Bend ones are the best. Handy for securing down platypus hoses and the like.

Lycra cycling shorts or Under armour is a must to prevent the wolf.

when doing out a cloth model / map kit sellotape 2 cent or some other weight to laminated paper markers to stop them blowing away.

"Ski pass" holders that wind up and retract are great for dum-duming leathermans/ Compasses etc.

1000 mile socks (the ones with the silk inner lining) are great for preventing chaffing and blisters. Failing that get a thin pair of inner socks and wear them under your standard ones.

When possible get your boots and socks off and let the air at your feet, keep them dry and make like Katie French and powder up.

Keep your foot powder in Zip-Lock bags that you can just stick your foot into. Less mess convenient.

Turn the batteries upside down in kit when packing so if the switch gets hit when your on the move batteries wont die.

Use dry bags / zip locks for all your spare gear but compress the air out first.

Screw in tent pegs are way better than standard ones.

Always carry your KFS (or even better get your self a spork, they are fantastic) in your smock pocket.

Compression straps are there for a reason. Use them and tape up any straps that are hanging loose.

DO NOT get a green survival bag, they are bright orange for a reason.

The likes of Maximuscle Viper Sachets or an Energy gel are great when your hitting the wall or just ball*xed

You DONT need your own personal GPS/NVG/Rambo knife/Guille Suit.

Black tape and bungees are used for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Make sure you have a decent sleeping bag, if your issue one is crap invest in your own, nothing worse than bad night sleep because your too cold. Invest in a gortex bivvy bag, takes up very little room and lightweight.

Waterproof all your gear use bergen liners, they come in several sizes. Take only what you need, in most cases you won't use half of it but YOU will be carrying it. Keep all your nessesary gear at the top of your bergen, saves pulling all your stuff out to get to your stuff. Split rat packs keep half in your belt kit which never leaves you and half on your back don't throw away the brew kit keep that on you with a hexi burner +1 to the above post on gas.

Boots..don't need to go into that do we, but theres nothing like clean dry socks and some foot powder;) A decent base layer, keep a spare set in a drybag, lifesaver if you get totally drenched or worse still end up immersed.
    Anti bacterial wipes for all the usual reasons.

Look after your weapon, a small microfibre towel as part of your cleaning kit is great for a wipe down. Bungees bring enough, and then a couple more, also black or camo tape, para cord. A poncho its funny I alway carry two but thats just me.

I gave up the smokes about fives years ago, best thing I ever did, but I carry at least three differant forms of fire starters ranging from matches, clipper and zippo lighters to Swedish fire steels(x2) and a decent leatherman.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Any tips on uniform in the field? especially with the shirt should you ditch it if you are wearing the smock?

and with snugpaks/buffaloes? i was wearing mine on exercise but i was only a little warmer? would that be cause i was wearing the shirt underneath it and not just the dri-flo?

I've also heard something along the lines of have one pair of dry boots and one pair of wet boots. Is this advisable or are you better off sticking with the one pair?

• Advertisement

When I was doing the tactics last year I was wearing my t-shirt,shirt,norgie and smock and I was never to warm or too cold.Suppose its down the preference.

My boots stayed dry all that weekend too,I suppose I got lucky as my trousers where soaked at time:confused:

You shouldnt wear the shirt under the smock when doing tactics, it soaks up moisture and holds it against your body.

The key is high activity dress down, low activity dress up. In other words, when doint section in attacks, etc only wear the smock with a dri flo underneath (if you have one). If youre sitting around in base camp not moving about, stick on a few layers.

As for carrying two pairs of boots, i've never seen that done. Its a lot of extra weight and will take up a fair bit of space in your CEMO.

thanks for the info lads!

bye bye shirt (by that i mean into the cemo)

did the dress up dress down but was only slightly warmer when i put the snugpak on. suppose i can blame the shirt for that one!:D

was thinking that but was told that by one of my corporals that did intergrated.

lets see what can I add...... oh yeah make sure all branches are cut off the trees a friend and myself nearly lost our eyes cause some people couldn't be bothered:mad:

use the sleeping bag it's Ireland it's rarely warm at night ......in the woods....... in kilbride(guilty of not doing this)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Get Goretex boot liners - about 7 quid on eBay. When you change into your warm powdered socks slip these on before you put on your soaking wet boots - I've been told you cant march anywhere with them but I've found them to stay dry for about 4 hours and warm for another 2. One on the best kit investments in my opinion.

Black tape fixes everything

If you have a command appointment get a little tub of nair polish removal pads for erasing permanent marker on route cards, orbats and ammo-cas reports. Always bring chinagraphs as a back up as perm markers don't like water one bit.

Dont bother with a fork or knife, just paracord a spoon to your smock and you can eat anything in the ration packs (noodles may be a bit tricky :D)

Combine your cup-a-soup with your noodles - its a taste sensation!

Bring PLENTY of paracord.

Don't get into your sleeping bag in your wet clothes - and don't get out of your bag in your dry ones, (unless you're getting shot up)

Get a metal mug - this replaces the plastic canteen mug and your mess tins

Everything in the ration packs can be cooked and eaten in its wrapping. In fact, nothing has to be cooked, this includes the noodles.

Never use the above for shaving or washing, use a tupperware container or cheap tin mug for that

Never throw away hot water - pour it into a flask or give it to your buddies, it will be used.

Attach a ziptie, elastic band, ribbon or something characteristic to the perimeter wire so you can find your bivvy in the dark.

On a tactical exercise, anything not put away or properly looked after will be stolen by the DS - this includes mag barrels and boots.

Have everthing packed away properly so you can find it easily, especially your sleeping bag and dry kit - you will have to change out of soaking wet clothes and into dry ones while lying under basha in the p*ssing rain. Practice this at home when no-ones looking.

You will need many many pairs of socks. However, you can get by fine with just two pairs of cycling shorts or penneys 3 euro sports jocks.

The two things which will bring down the majority of inexperienced soldiers - feet and stomach. Change your socks regularly, wear broken in boots and ALWAYS disinfect your hands before you eat or drink - remember the fecal-oral route of infection.

If it's raining and you're moving wear your smock. Once you stop, change your tshirt and put on your waterproof jacket. Put the soaking smock on over and your body heat will dry it without you getting wet (same idea as the goretex boot liners.) Usually your smock will be dry by the time your patrol harbour is set up.

And remember, no matter what your officers and NCO's tell you, it's always hilarious to crack open a glowstick and pour it over someone when they're about to go out on a night patrol :D

concussion wrote: »
    Everything in the ration packs can be cooked and eaten in its wrapping.

Agreed, just make sure to wrap another bag around your soup and noodles combo before you fill it with boiling water eek.gif

Also, if you have equipment that takes batteries make sure you know what way the batteries go in before you try to replace them in the dark. (Hint: Kite Sight)

pmg58 wrote: »
    You shouldnt wear the shirt under the smock when doing tactics, it soaks up moisture and holds it against your body.

The key is high activity dress down, low activity dress up. In other words, when doint section in attacks, etc only wear the smock with a dri flo underneath (if you have one). If youre sitting around in base camp not moving about, stick on a few layers.

As for carrying two pairs of boots, i've never seen that done. Its a lot of extra weight and will take up a fair bit of space in your CEMO.

+1 bigtime!!!!

You'd be mad to carry 2 boots!! As the old infantry mantra goes you pack it you carry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

socks, good socks. Gloves, black tape and bungees, lots of bungees. Their the best thing ever.

Get some diveing bags to water proof your extra clotes. Their are pricey but worth their weight in gold.

Any tips on uniform in the field? especially with the shirt should you ditch it if you are wearing the smock?

and with snugpaks/buffaloes? i was wearing mine on exercise but i was only a little warmer? would that be cause i was wearing the shirt underneath it and not just the dri-flo?

I've also heard something along the lines of have one pair of dry boots and one pair of wet boots. Is this advisable or are you better off sticking with the one pair?

No offence but whoever told you to bring 2 pairs of boots out on the ground is an idiot. Obviously if you're staying in billets 2 pairs of boots make sense but going out on the ground? Never.

Never bring your shirt out on the ground with you, you'll never ever need it.

Poccington wrote: »
    No offence but whoever told you to bring 2 pairs of boots out on the ground is an idiot. Obviously if you're staying in billets 2 pairs of boots make sense but going out on the ground? Never.

Never bring your shirt out on the ground with you, you'll never ever need it.

Agreed, no need for a shirt........damn sweat conductors!! smock n t shirt for moving......dry t shirt an norgey for basecamp!!

2 pairs of boots??????????? i may as well bring 2 backpacks!!:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback lads!:)

How's about if any of you experienced lads give us a quick run down on where you carry what you carry. it annoys me each time i'm setting out my kit for an exercise etc. say your typical patrol harbour or 24 hours. I found one before but would like to combine the good points of that with the good points on whatever you say. I'm sure it would help a few other boardsies too.

Thanks for the feedback lads!:)

How's about if any of you experienced lads give us a quick run down on where you carry what you carry. it annoys me each time i'm setting out my kit for an exercise etc. say your typical patrol harbour or 24 hours. I found one before but would like to combine the good points of that with the good points on whatever you say. I'm sure it would help a few other boardsies too.

Why not post up what way you usually carry your kit?

So then we can pick holes in it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

BigDuffman wrote: »
    U

Keep your foot powder in Zip-Lock bags that you can just stick your foot into. Less mess convenient.

What a great tip, I wish I knew this 10 years ago

Connect published this excellent article on admin in the field aimed at PDF Std NCO students - the vast majority of it is quite relevant to RDF, especially those with command appointments.

if you want but i got mine from IMO and if i remember correctly you can't post links here:p

and no i would never dream of poking holes in how you carry your kit cause it's a personal thing:D i was trying to see if i could tweak mine in any way with some of your all knowing PDFness:p

Thank you concussion! you've been a great help it's too bad about the help that certain mods give:D:p:pac:

if you want but i got mine from IMO and if i remember correctly you can't post links here:p

and no i would never dream of poking holes in how you carry your kit cause it's a personal thing:D i was trying to see if i could tweak mine in any way with some of your all knowing PDFness:p

Thank you concussion! you've been a great help it's too bad about the help that certain mods give:D:p:pac:

Oh no I didn't mean it like that. I just meant post up how you pack your kit so people on here could try show you where you may be going wrong.

Con's list pretty much covers it though.

Don't worry about it Pocc was only returning the banter.

Yeah i'll put it up it'll be copied from where i found it any problems take it down.

On body; (all year round,except in very warm weather)Smock.
    Top right pocket; issue spoon with hole drilled in handle to take idiot cord.
    lifeboat whistle c/w idiot cord(louder than pea whistle and wetproof)
    Shemag (if not worn)
    (I now carry this in my daysack 18/8/07)
    Top left pocket ; silva type 4 compass(mills and degrees)c/w idiot cord
    Tac cards and orders book(tam is too bulky so i take out what i need)
    amn/cas cards
    waterproof notebook c/w pencils,chinagraphs,stabilo pens,eraser and
    sharpener.
    btm right pocket; Fingerless leather gloves.
    toilet paper(waterproofed)
    btm left pkt; Issue boonie hat(i have two ,bought one and cut out the lining for
    summer use)
    maglight torch c/w red filters and two spare btys(idiot corded)
    right sleeve pkt; ffd c/w surgical gloves and waterproofed.
    (ditched the gloves,if wounded they wont think of em in the rush 18/8/07)
    left sleeve pkt; handiwipes
    inside pkt; spare trouser twisties/lens cloth(for sights&goggles)

Pants pkts; as little as possible as heavy weight on the legs slow your movement.
    Maps at most.No map cases,just a good ziploc bag.Lighter and easier to use.

cefo/combat vest ; ammo etc
    full water bottle and issue metal mug c/w small ziploc of puritabs.
    (elastic band around mug handle to stop rattling)
    rifle cleaning kit(basic oil ,pullthrough etc)
    small immediate first aid kit(triangular bandages,plasters,tampons etc)
    petzl taktica headtorch(v.small c/w red filter for writing patrol reports )
    (have moved this to daysack 18/8/07)
    spare btys for torches and prr(taped in twos by size)
    (now in daysack)
    mozzie repellant (lifesystems 100% deet.Issue rep only attracts them!)
    mozzie head net
    roll of black electrical tape
    leatherman
    spare ffd(waterproofed)
    gps unit (waterproofed)
    flexicufs and pw tagsx 2
    pacecounter tied clipped to left shoulder strap.
    marconi prr (left shoulder,when issued)
    spare toilet paper(2 packets in ziploc bag)
    (daysack now)
    50 metres of paracord
    (daysack,not needed unless static i.e harbours/ambushes)
    cyalumes(2 red/two green)for casualties,room clearing etc
    mini binos.(smaller and lighter than issue ones)
    small bag of boiled sweets.

shoot and scoot bag(daysack);

All mission essential items when not in use i.e nve ,radios ,btys maps etc
    reserve ammo.
    goggles(if not on helmet) c/w spare lens)
    tam part one(in lid pocket)
    1x spare socks and footpowder(emergency use only)
    emergency ration/brew kit (tea ,sugar .etc,chocolate 1x boil in the bag and 4 hexi tbs )
    issue waterproof jacket

bag is lined with a dry bag,All items ziplocked.if going on a long patrol from basecamp i pack my camelbak and a cold weather top.

bergan;
    top pkt outer; secatuers,2x sandbags,cyalumes.
    top pkt inner; wash and shave kit c/w camp towel
    small polish brush,polish,spare laces,spare twisties.
    spare torch bty x2
    any other small items.

main compartment;(lined with drybag)

waterproof pants(at btm of pack as seldom used)
    laundry bag
    sleeping bag inside bivvi bag(stored in a waterproofed stuff bag)c/w makralon skip cap
    snugpack sleeka jacket(if not worn)

left side pouch;(lined)
    dpm pants(tropical cos they are lighter)
    long driflo top and btm(not carried during summer months)
    driflo shortsx1/driflo t-shirt x1
    dpm shirt(only worn in basecamp during summer months)
    5x spare socks and bag of footpowder.
    spare boonie hat
    waterproof gloves .

right side pouch,
    large tupperware box to hold 48hrs rations(ration pack stripped down to what i WILL eat)
    issue thermal mug
    small gas stove(used to use hexi but too slow)c/w spare lighter in ziploc bag
    peltors(if not in daysack or worn)

behind right side pouch; issue folding entrenching tool in a o.g plce cover.

front pouch; issue basha,cords attached/7 metal pegs (wrapped in elastic band to avoid noise).

Thats the lot.I know alot of you will ask why pack the spate clothes and
    rations in the side pouches?Simple.I use my daysack not rockets(too fiddly and small) thus i dont remove them from pack.I can access my spare kit without having to rummage thru everything else.All items are close to hand esp. rations.Also if rations break you dont have food all over your spare kit.You are also keeping soiled clothes away from food you will eat.By doing this i dont need to carry a rocket pouch harness either.It also reduces the height of the main pack thus allowing me to easily stow daysack under lid whilst tabbing.biggrin.gif
    oh i forgot the kipmat is carried as described in one of my previous posts.Body armour when issued and not worn(ON TABS) would be carried under lid also.

That's what I follow. As I said any priblems over me copying it take it down.

Leadership wrote: »
    What a great tip, I wish I knew this 10 years ago

eh less of the sarcasm! Plenty of ppl mightn't do that!:p

Extensive list there skyhawk, covers about everything you could bring out with ya. I'm a bit more minimalistic with what I carry (less spare gear and I wouldn't necessarily agree with doubling up on certain items 2 boonies etc). But thats a great way of explaining where everything should go.

I find the Silva fits in perfectly in your left smock pocket. Also instead of bothering with reams of bog roll. Those plastic packets of baby wipes are very convenient (also they are pleasant on the ring piece ;) ) and you dont need to worry about them being damp and crumbling to pulp (discovered this when had to dump a load in a torrential downpour...uncool) and can use them as handwipes etc.!

i'm a baby wipe man myself too:D nearly as many uses as WD 40:P

• Advertisement

I find the Silva fits in perfectly in your left smock pocket.

I have been told before it's called a compass pocket :D
    Also instead of bothering with reams of bog roll. Those plastic packets of baby wipes are very convenient (also they are pleasant on the ring piece ;) ) and you dont need to worry about them being damp and crumbling to pulp (discovered this when had to dump a load in a torrential downpour...uncool) and can use them as handwipes etc.!

My 'ablutions' supplies consist of a a ziplock bag (tesco, about 1.30 for ten - highly recommended) containing the little baggie of tissues, anti-septic wipes (HIGHLY IMPORTANT -if you don't have these you may aswell go home) a ziplock bag of baby wipes, plasters and a few painkillers. Put these in the inner zip pocket of your smock and your sorted. Throw in a few heavy elastic bands aswell - they have many many uses such as holding foliage for camouflage, keeping your ziplock-ed items crushed down, holding your chem-heater closed if you need to use it as a heat-source or keeping your mess tins together if you don't use a metal mug.

My top-tips for cheap, useful field supplies
    Rubber bands
    Tesco zip lock bags
    Gore-tex boot liners
    Black electrical tape
    Baby wipes
    Anti-septic wipes
    Plasters
    Black electrical tape
    Did I mention black electrical tape?

Advertisement