Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2008 Playoff Thread

• 30-09-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭

It starts tonight (with a 1 game playoff)

Minnesota (Blackburn) @ Chicago (Danks)

I take Minnesota, despite not seeing much of either team. After Guillen's inane comments about tonight's starter last week, I hope Minnesota does for the White Sox amd sets up what could be an exciting and unexpected ALDS with the Rays. The enterprising Twins will find a way around the limited White Sox and go on to Tampa.

ALDS

Boston v. LA Angels of Anaheim

Red Sox: 1-8 v. LAA this year. But Boston owns LA in the playoffs lately. Boson has injuries to key players (Drew, Lowell,....Beckett???) and is the away team. Dicey-Ks luck to run out at some stage.

Still. Johnny Lester to win on the road, and then Beckett to turn into his usual October self and put the Angels in a 2-1 hole, with Wake, Byrd, Materson and whoever else to seal the series 3-1 for the Red Sox. None of LAAs SPs scare me in the playoffs. I saw Scott Shields cough up some big games this year (anyone see that Yankee Stadium game?), and K-Rod gave it up big time at Fenway last October (even if it was to Manny).

On the other hand, this feels a little like 2005 when the Sox were defending champs and were swept by the White Sox in the first round. If Beckett isn't healthy, all bets are off.

Minnesota v. Tampa Bay

Due to the fact that the Sox games this week are on the West Coast and start at stupid o'clock, I could end up watching more of this series. The Rays have the pitching and the hitting. Neither team really has any experience (the Twins probably have the edge with Mauer, Morneau and Nathan in that respect) while the Rays can only really counter with Percival. The Rays were neither too hot or too cold in September, both teams played really well in key series against the Red and White Sox respectively, but I have to give it to the Rays in 5.

NLDS

Milwaukee v. Philadelphia

I like the Phillies to sweep, based on experience, bats and the fact that CC can't pitch every day (or can he?) or that the Phillies will make him throw as many pitches as possible. Gallardo in Game 1 is an intriguing prospect, but I think the Brew Crew may have expended too much emotion and energy to get them this far-but then again I probably said the same thing about the Rockies last year...

LA Dodgers v. Chicago Cubs

Ho-hum. The Dodgers have the best manager in the NL playoffs, the most clutch pitcher and the most dangerous hitter. But that can't compensate for the fact that the Cubs have been outstanding all year and have a look of 'destiny' about them this year and have more talent in more positions than LA. Will be interesting to see if the Cubs pitch to Manny at all. I like the Cubs in 4, with D-Lowe to get the win for LA .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Oh darn. ChiSox beat Minny.

I stick with the Rays in the ALDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

I'll be cheering them on since I have mvp tickets to the playoff game tomorrow ;)

Weather's nice here in Huntington Beach, too.

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Angels - Red Sox; as much as I hate to say it, I think the Angels in perhaps four, due to the regular season match-ups, K-rod, and the injury issue to some Red Sox key personnel. Boston can still field an excellent team, but I think the Angels are stronger at the moment.

White Sox - Rays; Despite perhaps their momentum slowing a touch, I think the Rays will shade this.

Brewers - Phillies; I'll go for the Brewers, as I feel Sabathia is worth at least one win, and they're strong enough to take the Phillies, despite their recent resurgence

Dodgers - Cubs; Despite Torre's experience, and Manny's slugging of late, I think it is the Cubs year, and I would love to see them going the distance on the 100th anniversary of their last World Series!

Mike Cameron just fluffed a tricky enough catch there-could be a turning point in Game 1. Live on NASN which is good and good to get an early game. Gallardo just after loading the bases....

Phillies take the early initiative with a 3-1 win.

Game two tomorrow at 11pm Irish.

Dodgers @ Cubs starts at 11.30pm tonight Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

What a superb performance from Lester tonight - Lackey wasn't bad either! Greatr game - its worth the tiredness I currently feel! Now to make arrangements for Sat @ 3AM....

Very surprised the BoSox pulled it off, especially away from home!

Great result; I went to bed at the bottom of the second as I had to go to the airport at 6am, but when I got up I watched Papelbon close out the game after the two insurance runs in top 9.

Roll on game 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Would love to see a Dodgers-Angels World Series although I don't know about the Angels after last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Great defense in the 8th to keep Boston in command. Actually found myself cheering for them for some bizarre reason. Vladdy looked like a pensioner chasing a bus heading to 3rd...Long gone are the days of 40 stolen bases!

Dan Wheeler is sure making the 9th interesting for the Rays.

No Percvial for the ALDS could be big.

Fair play to the Rays though-they get their first ever postseason win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Dan Wheeler is sure making the 9th interesting for the Rays.

No Percvial for the ALDS could be big.

Fair play to the Rays though-they get their first ever postseason win.

That and Evan Longoria is bound to pull something big, given the season he's had.

If the Sox take it tonight, it's goodnight Disneyland!

GO SOX!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

I'd be a Rays fan insofar as they're the team I made the most money off during the season past.

I was generally happy with the odds I was being offered compared to what might have been the expected outcome of each match.

Just wish I had a roll big enough to take longer positions on leagues because I would have had a 100+ on the Rays for the World Series at 8-1 a few months back.

Here's the view we had from the mvp section for the first game. Now that I am back in Ireland, I'll have to settle for nasn:

large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Super Red Sox. Roll on Fenway.

wyk wrote: »
    Here's the view we had from the mvp section for the first game. Now that I am back in Ireland, I'll have to settle for nasn:

large.jpg

Nice. Is that Masterson on the mound?

Roll On Sox-let's go for the sweep (again). The Angels can play the Cubbies for the choke championship.

Roll On Sox-let's go for the sweep (again). The Angels can play the Cubbies for the choke championship.

It does indeed look like Masterson with the high socks - nice photo!

I have to say I'm looking at 1-3 with my divisional series predictions :o although I'm delighted with the Red Sox :D, I feel sorry for the Cubs as I'd love to see them win the WS 100 years on. Unless they're going to go BoSox 2004 from here, I think they'll be swept.

Fastastic game last night in Anaheim. I stayed up until the 4th, and then caught from end 6 onwards this morning. JD Drew stepping up to the plate, what a bomb and especially coming off so few at-bats. Back to Fenway now for perhaps a sweep. That's the Angels 0-12 I think in their last twelve postseason games against the Red Sox.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Come on Cubbies!. 2-0 down is a bit of a jam but i fully expect ace Rich Harden help get them on the board.

Cubbies going all the way this year etc etc.............:pac:

juvenal wrote: »
    Fastastic game last night in Anaheim. I stayed up until the 4th, and then caught from end 6 onwards this morning. JD Drew stepping up to the plate, what a bomb and especially coming off so few at-bats. Back to Fenway now for perhaps a sweep. That's the Angels 0-12 I think in their last twelve postseason games against the Red Sox.:eek:

I just watched the condensed game this morning. Anyone who says baseball is boring needs to watch that game...Fantastic entertainment. Sucks not being able to watch them live. Thats a great pic wyk..Very jealous. Hope I can get to some games next year..been far too long :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Think the Phillies are under the radar just a little. Even though they lost last night they should finish off the Brewers and advance. And they'll have home field advantage against the Dodgers.

Cubs were so bad....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

zuutroy wrote: »
    Cubs were so bad....

Really awful in the 3 games. Look at all the guys they got on base last night and could only manage 1 run. Hopefully a Red Sox v Dodgers series with Manny going back to Fenway.

Rain delay in one of the few games on early enough to watch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

NASN Freeview died just before the Sox game.

Freaked!

Got up at 1.30AM to catch the Sox game, from the 3rd inning onwards. It was painful watching Beckett, he was all over the place.

Went to bed at 5.30AM just after Aybar stroked the eventual game-winning single to score Mike Napoli, top of the 12th. Really think Lester needs to come up big again tonight, I don't fancy our chances back in Anaheim in a decider.

Also a good win for the White Sox, would like to see them beat the Rays but still don't see in happening.

Brilliant photo :-)

Wow. BJ Upton sending the Pale Hose to the brink with his second HR of the game.

Worrying stuff from the Red Sox last night-especially Beckett. Lester needs to get it done tonight as I just don't like the thought of it all riding on Dicey K-even if he has been our luckiest pitcher all year.

christeb wrote: »
    Brilliant photo :-)

Thanks. Here's Chone Figgins up at bat.
    large.jpg

WYK

YOU FECKING BEAUTY!!!:D

Huge play by Varitek in top 9 to tag Willits on the squeeze play, and not let the Angels get in front. I thought for definite once they drew level that they'd beat us in extras and bring it back to LA.

Jason Bay is showing his worth to this team time and time again, if that ball had remained in the park on Willits diving attempt, it could easily have been an inside the park homer. Then the huge jump he got off second on Lowrie's single made sure he had the time to dive into home plate.

Great game, especially considering the low scoring, but fantastic cat-and-mouse.

Bring on the Rays, should be a great series, although I'm still playing the underdog and wouldn't bet against the Rays based on regular season and the series against the White Sox. Coco will be raring to go after the ruckus earlier in the season!

mickger wrote: »
    Really awful in the 3 games. Look at all the guys they got on base last night and could only manage 1 run. Hopefully a Red Sox v Dodgers series with Manny going back to Fenway.

I was really hoping the Cubs would do well, actually. But when yer playing like it's spring training, it's hard to get behind em:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200810033586736

I can't find the one play where the 2nd baseman banked the ball off the runner's hand trying for 2. Anyone know?

WYK

• Advertisement

I really don't like the squeeze attempt. Just take your chances of gettin some air under the ball. Exciting stuff though :)

Advertisement