Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning on joining the Military but I live out of country, plus a few more questions

• 09-10-2019 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, I'm a fifteen year old planning on joining the Irish Military as a cadet, which department I'm not quite sure on, I've always wanted to be in the Military but it was only recently I started thinking about joining the Irish Military. I was, and am, raised in Dubai UAE so I don't speak any Irish, I am however learning. But this also means that I am taking GCSEs. I'm wondering what additional steps I'll have to take to join. Im also planning on joining the Ranger Wing once I am able to.

Additionally, Im curious as to what the College is like in the army and how good the Military really is. Naturally I've been keeping myself up to date on the pay problem and I'm currently studying the history of Óglaigh na hÉireann for my DofE so I do know a lot of the past.
    Also if anyone has any ideas on which branch is the best id be more than happy to listen ;)

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi,
    Things are tricky over here ATM. I am sure you would be academically qualified and have plenty of life experience in Dubai.
    You need to be reading Irish media. The Government (not they ever were fantastic employers) have been penny pinching on Defence.
    Salaries have been stagnant and the Defence Forces are bleeding out Technical Officers and technical NCO's.
    Think long and hard before you come home. We are on the brink of a recession as we speak. What little money that is available will be less.
    Try looking at the Irish Guards or the Royal Irish in the British Army. Should anything happen to you, the British Legion has more resources to deal with future walking wounded than Irish ONE.

Advertisement