Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-07-2019, 13:39   #1
Cadpat_cowboy

Yoke and twart build

Hello everyone, I was recently given an old candian canoe for free and have been cleaning it up in hopes to paint it and do some fishing from it and I'm looking for some advice on how to build a yoke and/or some thwarts.

The boat itself is fiber glass which is all in good Nic apart from the gun wall which has a crack through it that I plan on repairing this weekend if I find the time. The boat floats fine and keeps the water out but i am unsure weather I need to add a yoke and twarts I was told that they make the boat more stable which would make casting from it safer.

Any Input will be appreciated
tia cowboy
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 09:46   #2
iwillhtfu

I've little knowledge of canoes but some (possibly all) of the fibreglass canoes don't have thwarts. They may have small versions which are basically hand grips at either end.

A few pictures would probably help people add some input but this forum is a bit of a dead duck.

If you're handy with tools it would be easy enough to make yourself a basic yoke or if a bit more talented/patient a contoured one wouldn't be a big ask. I'm sure you can buy clip on ones though if you weren't pushed.

A kneeling thwart would be another simple one you can buy some ash kits on ebay. https://www.ebay.ie/itm/canoe-kneeli...cAAOSw44BYX8Ha but they're basically just sanded lengths of ash with the spacers cut an angle.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion