Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Geraldo69

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    Well done that's great! You must be delighted

No not really I interviewed for the presidency aswell , didn't get it ):

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Leanne7011

Talking to people who work in the prison service one of the worst aspects of the job is having to work in Dublin for an indefinite amount of time and Cork has one of the longest waiting lists. You could be waiting for anything up to twenty years before getting a transfer to Cork. Something to be wary of if you have young kids...they will have families of their own before you get a transfer down south!

I heard that too. I'm not looking for a transfer to Cork. I would gladly move. It's the 12 week intensive training course that I would need to organise so I'm just seeing if anyone else is on the same boat as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

I heard that too. I'm not looking for a transfer to Cork. I would gladly move. It's the 12 week intensive training course that I would need to organise so I'm just seeing if anyone else is on the same boat as me.

The boat is full of us don't worry. People say after the 12 weeks it'll be graaaaamd but in reality if you break down 12 weeks into hours in minutes of your children's lives then it really matters to you.
    What I will say is if you really want the position, then you'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf00

Good evening, Did anyone hear how many have gone for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Just going by this thread alone not as much interest as gardai ,fire brigade etc could be wrong but tough job I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf00

Star hurl wrote: »
    Just going by this thread alone not as much interest as gardai ,fire brigade etc could be wrong but tough job I suppose

Suppose your right, let's hope not too many went for it....

How many are they hiring this year? Did I read 150?

How many are they hiring this year? Did I read 150?

150 in November-ish ... But anyone who passes all stages will be on a panel who will be used in recruitment next year. You'd want to shine early to make the first 150, but this post wasn't advertised as much as the Garda or army recruitment so let's hope not many saw it. I only barely caught the advertisement on Facebook.

150 in November-ish ... But anyone who passes all stages will be on a panel who will be used in recruitment next year. You'd want to shine early to make the first 150, but this post wasn't advertised as much as the Garda or army recruitment so let's hope not many saw it. I only barely caught the advertisement on Facebook.

Ya I caught it on Facebook the day before it closed! By shining early do you mean doing well in the aptitude test? I think mine was only released today. Is that the same for everyone?

Ya I caught it on Facebook the day before it closed! By shining early do you mean doing well in the aptitude test? I think mine was only released today. Is that the same for everyone?

Same, I was like wtf??!! ..
    Well for the Garda recruitment, the aptitude score determines who gets to progress first. But this year the interest Was so high, someone who got say 2 more questions wrong than someone else found themselves like 900-1200 places behind the other person. So literally every question counts. One more question right means you could be called ahead of another guy who didn't get it right. It could save you months of waiting so I guess be on your A game from the off.

• Advertisement

Same, I was like wtf??!! ..
    Well for the Garda recruitment, the aptitude score determines who gets to progress first. But this year the interest Was so high, someone who got say 2 more questions wrong than someone else found themselves like 900-1200 places behind the other person. So literally every question counts. One more question right means you could be called ahead of another guy who didn't get it right. It could save you months of waiting so I guess be on your A game from the off.

Oh wow. Pressures on so. It's the numerical reasoning that will catch me but I looked at a few sample questions and they were ok

Oh wow. Pressures on so. It's the numerical reasoning that will catch me but I looked at a few sample questions and they were ok

They are fine I've done them before. It's the job reasoning part. The "a lad threatened other prisoners with a knife what do you do" then u have four choices and pick the best issue which resolves the case. (It's a little harder than ya think) ..

They are fine I've done them before. It's the job reasoning part. The "a lad threatened other prisoners with a knife what do you do" then u have four choices and pick the best issue which resolves the case. (It's a little harder than ya think) ..

I had a look at the some examples actually. Tricky I'd say. It will really define if you're suitable for the job. One example was about a prisoner not wanting to go into the yard and being unusually quiet that day. So your options were to leave him and tell him you'll be telling the yard warden he wouldn't be out today, or tell a colleague to tell the yard warden and to stay with with the prisoner to talk to him bla bla bla and more options. I would have chose to stay with the prisoner but then that could raise some issues we don't know about yet as we haven't been trained. So it's going to be tricky. I suppose it will show your personality and your suitability for the job. Is there any way of practicing and seeing if our answers are right or wrong? (Without buying that package advertised on careers to help you prepare, have you seen that?)

I had a look at the some examples actually. Tricky I'd say. It will really define if you're suitable for the job. One example was about a prisoner not wanting to go into the yard and being unusually quiet that day. So your options were to leave him and tell him you'll be telling the yard warden he wouldn't be out today, or tell a colleague to tell the yard warden and to stay with with the prisoner to talk to him bla bla bla and more options. I would have chose to stay with the prisoner but then that could raise some issues we don't know about yet as we haven't been trained. So it's going to be tricky. I suppose it will show your personality and your suitability for the job. Is there any way of practicing and seeing if our answers are right or wrong? (Without buying that package advertised on careers to help you prepare, have you seen that?)

They always say there's no right or wrong in the job simulation. Which is a fib.
    It always makes me think, cos if u stay with the prisoner at the same time you're not following the order to get all the prisoners out into the yard. So you see they want u to see what's best way to resolve. It's more complicated when u think like that but I'd say the answer u put was the one I would've used aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 adrenalee

Do you mind me asking where did you find those example? is it on the link given by PAS?

Thanks

adrenalee wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where did you find those example? is it on the link given by PAS?

Thanks

There's a link on the document we were sent yesterday where you can access another website that does practice tests. I think it was on page 4.

There were two examples of the hypothetical situations given on the document though.

Let me know if you can't find them and I'll try post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Hi all been watching this and applied myself. How dangurous is this job? Are officers being abused/attack or is this limited. Does the job mess with your head??

meath4sam wrote: »
    Hi all been watching this and applied myself. How dangurous is this job? Are officers being abused/attack or is this limited. Does the job mess with your head??

All the above you have listed are yes.

You have to take all the above in consideration.

All the above you have listed are yes.

You have to take all the above in consideration.

Are you a prison officer? I just have a few questions if you are

No I am sorry I am not just done my homework on the job but if you have any question pop me in pm.

• Advertisement

No I am sorry I am not just done my homework on the job but if you have any question pop me in pm.

OK thanks! You would have been bombarded with questions if you said yes 😂 I'll pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Any prison officers on here that would answer a few questions??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

I am not an PO but I've applied for this competition!

Some of my Family are officers so I hear alot about the job from them. All of whom have been assaulted at one time or another, mostly minor but some more serious. There is a high probability that you will be assaulted as a Prison Officer. 92 officers were attacked last year according to POA ( Prison Officers Association) There's a excellent chance you will be verbally abused regularly and apparently vexatious complaints by inmates are common place which have a massive impact on an Officer.

Your dealing with People that have no regard for the law, Prison rules or you as an Officer

You'll have no personal protection, no baton, pepper Spray and no protective vest.

I'm talking to a friend who applied for the guards and is at stage 2. But he bought the package to help prepare for the aptitude.. do ye think this is necessary for the PO aptitude? I'm not doing so well in the verbal reasoning sample aptitude that was provided... do anyone have any links to websites that can help prepare for free? I haven't even tried the numerical sample one as I originally thought the verbal one would be my strong point!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 farlo365

Judging by a lot of questions and comments made in this thread, a lot of people really have not considered the conditions and vices of the job applied for

Did anyone try the numerical section on the practise tests ? I have done a few appitudes and seems very tough ?

Did anyone try the numerical section on the practise tests ? I have done a few appitudes and seems very tough ?

Ya I had one look and gave up. The verbal reasoning was tough enough. Or did you find that normal?

Verbal was tough I scored 20 but always do well enough in that area ! But the numerical was nothing like any other public jobs aptitude I have done before but I'm shocking with maths anyway .

Verbal was tough I scored 20 but always do well enough in that area ! But the numerical was nothing like any other public jobs aptitude I have done before but I'm shocking with maths anyway .

I think I got 12/30 right so about 40 percent but not sure what score that is. (Assuming your 20 doesn't mean percent).. I'm awful at maths, so the verbal turned me off even attempting the numerical one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 OskerWilde!

Well done that's great! You must be delighted

Think that's a piss take there fyi!!!

Advertisement