Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I wont lie, Id be devastated. But they have such a wealth of music of such a high standard that I could easily go back back and hear something new.

Im not overly surprised, there was never any album news, and hes known for doing this. Sure look at Blackfield, he has let the main respinsibility go to Aviv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Mushy wrote: »
    I wont lie, Id be devastated. But they have such a wealth of music of such a high standard that I could easily go back back and hear something new.

Im not overly surprised, there was never any album news, and hes known for doing this. Sure look at Blackfield, he has let the main respinsibility go to Aviv.

Another comment I came across yesterday from Gavin Harrison is on this page: http://starsdie.com/wp/gavin-harrison-video-interview-june-7th-2012/

Look at the third video, starting around 0:43 seconds in.

http://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson/tracks

Top song is a demo from Deadwing/In Absentia era, for those who haven't got to hear it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Good interviews. I agree with both of them to be honest. I would hate to see Porcupine Tree burnt out. It would ruin them...

The one thing I would be disappointed about is not seeing them live again for a long time.

If they stopped writing and just did the occasional tour I would be happy to accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's not surprising, SW would never force an album out for the sake of making an album, but I'd genuinely be devastated if they stopped.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's not surprising, SW would never force an album out for the sake of making an album, but I'd genuinely be devastated if they stopped.

I don't think they will stop, but it looks like it could be a few years yet before we hear of anything. Sure he's even playing some No-Man shows towards the end of summer after their one benefit show went so well.

He's a very organic type of song-writer, so its definitely better for them to stay that way. Sure gavin has his O5ric stuff, which is outstanding IMO.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Good interviews. I agree with both of them to be honest. I would hate to see Porcupine Tree burnt out. It would ruin them...

I agree, and I think that maybe having toured with "The Incident" for such a long time has tired them out for a while. I just hope that in the meantime, Wilson doesn't burn himself out - I don't know how the guy keeps going, he seems to be working on new stuff 24/7 and it seems he's announced plans for a third solo album.

In a strange way, and I'm not comparing like with like here, it's almost like the situation that used to prevail in Genesis - they get together every few years to record, put out an album and tour with it and in the meantime they all go off and do their own stuff. And when they started to appeal to bigger numbers, Collins was in demand everywhere - producing, guest musician, collaborating, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

:(

They have been my new favourite band for a few months now. Was hoping to see them live at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I'm glad I saw their amazing show at Tripod in 2010 :P. Needless to say I'd love to see them as many times as possible though, and I was relatively new to PT in 2010.

I got the impression that Porcupine Tree is patently not over, we just might not see them together for a long while. I certainly wouldn't want them to churn out an album solely for the sake of the fans, like a similar record to Deadwing, FOABP or The Incident. I'd hope that after the toll of their last tour together dissipates, they'd find a time when they're all in the mood to make some fresh material that they can really enjoy and be passionate about.

I'm not disappointed to hear that his solo career, remixing work and Storm Corrosion have become what's important to him now, because I can't get enough of that stuff. Now that Opeth's Heritage tour is coming here later this year, it would be great to have solo Steven Wilson too. Storm Corrosion is understandably out of the question for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

xerces wrote: »
    I'm glad I saw their amazing show at Tripod in 2010 :P. Needless to say I'd love to see them as many times as possible though, and I was relatively new to PT in 2010.

I got the impression that Porcupine Tree is patently not over, we just might not see them together for a long while. I certainly wouldn't want them to churn out an album solely for the sake of the fans, like a similar record to Deadwing, FOABP or The Incident. I'd hope that after the toll of their last tour together dissipates, they'd find a time when they're all in the mood to make some fresh material that they can really enjoy and be passionate about.

I'm not disappointed to hear that his solo career, remixing work and Storm Corrosion have become what's important to him now, because I can't get enough of that stuff. Now that Opeth's Heritage tour is coming here later this year, it would be great to have solo Steven Wilson too. Storm Corrosion is understandably out of the question for the foreseeable future.

The bit in bold is exactly the situation. They need to take a step back from it, the time will come and the album will be all the better for it. While another Deadwing would be class, its not how Steven works.

Storm Corrosion won't be played live, they never intended it too cos it'd be too expensive for the fans, and them obviously. Be amazing if was Steven supporting Opeth, but Anathema will do nicely.

I'm reminiscing back to May '08, knew 3 songs, saw them live and reaction was :eek: Metallica couldn't even interest me after it, and they made Incubus look dreadful.

I count myself very lucky to have seen them twice. I've travelled to London in both cases, initially to see them perform The Incident in it's entirety at the Hammersmith Apollo and then for the last concert of the tour at the Albert Hall. Must put up some photos from that gig.

And what made that gig even more memorable was meeting the band afterwards at the "after show" party. :D

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I count myself very lucky to have seen them twice. I've travelled to London in both cases, initially to see them perform The Incident in it's entirety at the Hammersmith Apollo and then for the last concert of the tour at the Albert Hall. Must put up some photos from that gig.

And what made that gig even more memorable was meeting the band afterwards at the "after show" party. :D

What was Gavin like? He seems really nice.

Very nice. They all were. Colin wasn't there, he had left but the rest were very nice and obliging - they all signed a large copy of the print which is the cover of the Incident album for me - even John Wesley (real nice guy).

It was a real who's who of prog that night at the party - Steve Hogarth and Steve Rothery from Marillion were there and also Steve Hackett from Genesis (Steve/Steven seems to be a popular name in the Prog music world :D)

Both those shows were immense, really loved the Incident one.

Very nice. They all were. Colin wasn't there, he had left but the rest were very nice and obliging - they all signed a large copy of the print which is the cover of the Incident album for me - even John Wesley (real nice guy).

I am so god damn jealous of you :D Would love to get something like that!

Met Gavin at the drum clinic he did in X-Music, absolute gent.

Steven Wilson's new live band is absolutely brilliant. It's a mixture of jazz and rock musicians.

He has Marco Minneman on drums, the guy who was tied with Mangini for the Dream Theater audition and is better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Mushy wrote: »
    Be amazing if was Steven supporting Opeth, but Anathema will do nicely.

I didn't really mean in support of Opeth in November, an Irish visit of his own would be my hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vamosmikey

new SW album early next year. Written for his live band to play, rather then on GFD he just got session lads in. Should be interesting.

Alan Parsons producing/engineering on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Old thread, but I'm stoked that I'm going to see Steven Wilson at the Royal Festival Hall (South Bank, London) in a few weeks (4th March). As noted, he's put together something of a supergroup: Nick Beggs on bass (Kajagoogoo, Maddy Prior), jazz keyboardist Adam Holzman and longtime collaborator Theo Travis on woodwinds, all of whom are on Get All You Deserve. Plus Guthrie Govan & Marco Minnemann (2/3 of The Aristocrats) on guitar & drums. It's going to be Large. :cool:

Steven has also announced that he's cutting back on the remixing work, pulling out of the Emerson, Lake & Palmer remixes because "I can’t honestly say I love them".
    Wilson says the remaining ELP reissues will be handled by Jakko Jakszyk, a Robert Fripp collaborator.

“Going forward,” Wilson adds, “I’m only going to do things I genuinely really, really love. The main thing about doing them for me is what I learn from the process. I really have learned a lot from working on these records. I absolutely love the King Crimson, Jethro Tull and XTC records I’m doing now.”

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Off to see his Glasgow show along with Dr. Poca come March. Little bit excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

He's released a new video for 'The Raven that Refused to Sing'. It's an animated video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

In fairness, its their choice if they want to take a step back and if wilson wants to do his thing. They've put out plenty of music and toured a fair bit. It's not like Tool and their general **** treatment of fans where they leave them in the dark for 5 plus years without giving a damn.

Jealous of anyone going to see him. Luminol is some song, he seems to really enjoy the stuff, has a great mix in the band. Hopefully I can see him this year.

Edit: as an aside, should we start a prog superthread? Loads of bands to discuss, both old and new, might be easier to keep it all in one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

spiralism wrote: »
    In fairness, its their choice if they want to take a step back and if wilson wants to do his thing. They've put out plenty of music and toured a fair bit. It's not like Tool and their general **** treatment of fans where they leave them in the dark for 5 plus years without giving a damn.

What, if anything, do Tool owe you or anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Any reason why he will not do a solo gig here or is it down to the promoters ?

I assume it's for financial reasons. I know PT pretty much sold out, but you might not get the same crowd for his solo shows, plus more band members/gear to transport
    rednik wrote: »
    Any reason why he will not do a solo gig here or is it down to the promoters ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Best song on the new album I feel.

The album sounds gorgeous. Never heard such a lush sounding record before, so full of live, natural instrumentation. Makes a refreshing change from all the cut and paste Pro Tools centred stuff.

Also Alan Parsons FTW!

• Advertisement

Whole album is top class, but yeah I'd pick The Holy Drinker as a favourite as well.

Advertisement