Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FT/R gear

• 12-01-2019 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

I've been shooting recreationally now for a while. Still learning. But I was thinking of getting into some competition. Something FT/R like.

Are any of you FT/R guys using factory rifles, or are they all bespoke custom affairs? If so, what sort of factory rifle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

I think the only factory rifle i see on the Ftr line is the Savage 12 FTR.
    most others things are simi custom 30inch barrels, single fed actions coming in at 18lbs8oz for Fclass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

AFAIR, Savage were, and still are, the only brand of rifle-makers that produce a literally out-of-the-box F-TR rifle. I'm sure Cass can give you the skinny on how the Savage rifle team performed at the international Creedmore shoot back in 2011. Not only do they make a ready-to-win rifle, they make them with optional left-or right-ported actions, too. Sights, of course, are a whole different matter, and you'd be advised to talk to those folks here who actually shoot F-TR.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

I had a savage F/TR some years ago. I found it very accurate but could never get used to the stock which was too sleek, hunter type for my personal taste for a Target rifle. I always found it hard to keep my body \ hand position consistent.

If you normally shoot a rifle (e.g. Unique Alpine, Blaser LRS etc.) with a pistol or thumbhole stock set-up you will find the F/TR quite a change. However, I know some lads have put different stocks on the rifle with good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

So the Savage 12 is the only one then. Kinda what I thought.

I might look at trying to make my current 308 FTR compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭pm.

Not a dedicated FT/R rifle but the sako trg will hold its own out to 1000 yards with any custom build IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

What about the ruger precision are they any good. The marketing blurb claims accuracy to 1600yards

The TRG 22 is a great rifle. A new one however could set the OP back almost as much as a good Custom build.

Just something to keep in mind.

What about the ruger precision are they any good. The marketing blurb claims accuracy to 1600yards

Almost bought one before I got my Unique Alpine. Didn't like the feel of it though. Barrel looked a bit light for my liking as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

First piece of advice i give to anyone thinking of taking up F-Class shooting is NEVER, EVER, buy or build a custom rifle.

They are a necklace in that once made/bought no dealer wants to take them in and if it's custom, forget about it. You'll pay thousands to get one, and be lucky to get offered a grand if selling/trading.

Start with what you have. If you have a 308 start into FTR, but at shorter ranges. If you have any other caliber, and even a 308, there are things like the sporting league. It's only shot out to 600 yards but will teach you all the requirements fo long range shooting without the massive expense of new barrel, build or full custom rifle.

I started off with a Sauer SSG 205 in 6.5 many moons back, then onto a TRG 22 in 308, and then onto the Savage FTR (factory stock). The Savage was incredible in terms of accuracy, and ability. Even with factory ammo.

I later changed the Savage but only the stock, and getting it glass and pillar bedded. I kept the original barrel (for a while), action, trigger, etc. As was said above the factory stock of the FTR Model 12 is a little too hunting orientated for proper fit, but still works fine. I later started to buy spare barrels of various lengths and profiles.

However for now i'd recommend starting with whatever you have, at the sporting league, and then if you decide it's something you'd like to continue with look into the cost of either a rebarrel or a custom build.

Remember the rifle is a large cost, but there is so much more involved which can add up to the price of another rifle once it's all bought (reloading, bags, bipods, mats, scope, etc, etc.)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    First piece of advice i give to anyone thinking of taking up F-Class shooting is NEVER, EVER, buy or build a cudtom rifle.

Which is why I was asking about factory options. I'm going to see what sort of competition I can enter with my current rig amd see if I can hack it.

I'm a little bored with plinking if I'm honest and I think I might enjoy coming last in some competitions:)

• Advertisement

What is your current setup.
    Sporting rifle league is 600 yards with mag fed rifles, internal or box, folding bipod.(rules may change this year)

Ftr is .308 .223 18lbs8oz with bipod attached 300-1200 yards

F-open is a higher weight (??) does not include bipod any caliber under 8mm

Other than fclass the S.T.A.G.S match are a lot of fun, simulated hunting 25 -600 yards

Ziggieire wrote: »
    What is your current setup.
    Sporting rifle league is 600 yards with mag fed rifles, internal or box, folding bipod.(rules may change this year)

Ftr is .308 .223 18lbs8oz with bipod attached 300-1200 yards

Other than fclass the S.T.A.G.S match are a lot of fun, simulated hunting 25 -600 yards

Unique Alpine TPG-1 in 308. Mag fed. I have a FTR bipod, but i have a folding one as well.

It's a bit of a lump. I'm pretty sure it's too heavy for FTR.

Lovley rifle. would be great for the Sporting rifle league or Stags.
    I know those rifles are heavy enough, what does it weigh with no bipod ?
    The rifle i use in matches is 16lbs

Lovley rifle. would be great for the Sporting rifle league or Stags.
    I know those rifles are heavy enough, what does it weigh with no bipod ?
    The rifle i use in matches is 16lbs

~19 lbs with scope without bipod. A lot of the weight is in the stock. You could club a medium sized moose to death with it.

well your out of F-TR but good to go for the rest.
    90% if stags stages are rested on something 19lbs is not ideal but if its balanced well it will be good to go

I've seen it, a large size moose would be in trouble too

freddieot wrote: »
    I've seen it, a large size moose would be in trouble too

Ha. It's a bit of a lump alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭badaj0z

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Heavy? yes. Ugly? no. Accurate? superbly. The most ergonomic stock you will encounter, with the exception of an Olympic free rifle, on which the design is based.

badaj0z wrote: »
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Heavy? yes. Ugly? no. Accurate? superbly. The most ergonomic stock you will encounter, with the exception of an Olympic free rifle, on which the design is based.

100%. It's my forever rifle. If I was to venture into FTR, I'd buy something supplementary.

Love my Alpine. I have yet to talk to an Alpine owner who doesn't sing their praises.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

F-Open is any caliber up to, but not exceeding 8mm (after 8mm it's restricted so might be the reason). Weight is topped out at 22lbs, which does not include front rest.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement