Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A heartbreaking end to a rifle, and a deer season?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭clivej

Bored out the moderator from the original 8.43mm to 8.65mm stopped the keyholing i may bore it out to 9.00-.9.50 just to be safe
    I could indeed notice a "shiny" spot on the last baffle inside the mod which i assume was copper from the bullet
    Spent most of lastnight trying to figure it out i checked the mod with a endoscope too same with the rifle barrel

Not a problem to have the mod bored out.

I use my 30cal mod on the 223 as well. It may not give as much noise reduction as a proper 223 mod but I'm not going to spend another 300 Euro on the 223.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

clivej wrote: »
    Bored out the moderator from the original 8.43mm to 8.65mm stopped the keyholing i may bore it out to 9.00-.9.50 just to be safe
    I could indeed notice a "shiny" spot on the last baffle inside the mod which i assume was copper from the bullet
    Spent most of lastnight trying to figure it out i checked the mod with a endoscope too same with the rifle barrel

Not a problem to have the mod bored out.

I use my 30cal mod on the 223 as well. It may not give as much noise reduction as a proper 223 mod but I'm not going to spend another 300 Euro on the 223.
    I’m the very same I use my .243 mod on my.223 once it takes away the boom it will do rightly as your never going to get rid of the super sonic crack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yup, its that simple.
    Not saying its not, but i doubt it. Unless very, very, recently fired and even then, copper deposits/fouling are not shiny. They will have a colouring, but its as likely to be the point where the bullet was striking the baffle and causing the keyholing.

As a side note, the worse place on any rifle for copper fouling is the muzzle. I'd consider myself fairly serious when it comes to cleaning. Here is my routine and my products. So when i bore-scoped my rifle for the first time, years and years ago, i was disgusted by how much fouling still remained in the last 3 to 4 inches of the barrel.

Its at this point most of the cleaning products we use have been wiped "thin" through the barrel. It's why i now plug my barrels when cleaning and use a better grade product that saturates the entire bore and not just the first 3/4 to 4/5ths.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The previous owner got the threading done and it was cut back to 20" from 22" during that job..... So no more can be cut the only option is to bore out the mod to allow more clearance. At this point I'll just trade it in for a new rifle where I don't have to worry about what some kitchen gunsmith did to it.

Cut it back and re-thread it, It'll only need half an inch off, if a gun is damaged a person is allowed cut below the 19.685" mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The previous owner got the threading done and it was cut back to 20" from 22" during that job.....

Was it requested to be cut down to 20" of did the 'gunsmith' take so many attempts to thread it that he lost 2" of barrel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Seems to be a fashionable for moderator companies to have holes too small in the baffles which might reduce noise as that is all the customer is interested in when choosing a moderator apart from weight. Our Hausken mods needed to be drilled larger to reduce fliers. 8.43mm is just too small for a 308, need at least 1mm over bullet diameter so min 8.8mm .
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

ejg wrote: »
    Seems to be a fashionable for moderator companies to have holes too small in the baffles which might reduce noise as that is all the customer is interested in when choosing a moderator apart from weight. Our Hausken mods needed to be drilled larger to reduce fliers. 8.43mm is just too small for a 308, need at least 1mm over bullet diameter so min 8.8mm .
    edi

Cheers Edi I'll just bore it out to 9.0mm to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Cheers Edi I'll just bore it out to 9.0mm to be safe.

I know 2 guys who both got custom barrels fitted to their rifles, one was a .260 and the other a 6.5x47.
    The rifles shot ok but not as good as they were expecting. They were both using 6.5 moderators.
    In both cases they tried .30 calibre moderators and their groups tightened up considerably.

How did you get on since?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    How did you get on since?

The rifle is grouping the same with mod on as it is with mod off so its worked out sound cheers for asking, Ill post a pic of a group tomorrow

• Advertisement

Nice one. Gives you a renewed sense of enjoyment when it works the way it should.

Meant to post this a while ago the moderator being bored out has solved the issue
    Before one of you asks the two shots on the right were sighters and a tried to move it left didnt go far enough and must've hit the down adjustment realizing i was low on ammo i just shot my last three shots to see where they would land

7EOAQEsZoKxoJjwOGsQpENaggfg27qNOwlC9l90VeC8M2WJ46G3D_Ki06MsS7PvKYOCiBheJpQc8qU6hhKxqvNysy9R320dln7NRANTfeBkqEaVCLLN49d2Tvnq9PhpzFbnLUswW0d3-Sye6F4e_Biher2xNhDJCF5kZsbM3FNkX_HRUo_CDfS96hFq6gifObX5ST7SlFjdjFKbazEfHhqordhzSEz6E7GQ5QuZDIQElKYUDc_fuJvxroXHMD_UczDKJt2D8TQCNm2idwHAIjt5JfntezpjcybXcsswWt-qh_6klsfVKQBBgwPbuN2GyDns14mp02aW6DzrTyg5i6lNMRj1J3E0QesMN3w19aYqNgxXJYLotlV43O6kKWje35qmccGabXkQBqMNcrN7RxZVG3lRTIYNaFvJdw64kiy-q7gv1HxE5pgjoz2Fawes_j5G6T4HilDl1qXbNkncIyRBQkd0llkFiD4QPayjxTuxsQkIoQ4U905EBBo0TG3zr5VIZOM9_sIO-ZD25soAVYp6thpx1L6OeXCtYlt2T-DK4nCInVrKdTxdRsNAYtnfHkl7ZPNwnvcSYzLjpCxhY1DZy1XZ3-00fr3IZXgtqn5o79M-yiyFcHjvc_kbEU5TbBEBXDKNu7G5SDPw_FVsJ40xOP_dyYA5hR4Ewubde7wi5Cgxo28vnkCpzhCW5ss13M1ARAj7bRkPwpIHGFfKw_d7f=w493-h657-no

Advertisement