Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's good to be in the cold for a bit

• 21-10-2018 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

I heard Ray Darcy talking a while back about how we over focus on exercising certain muscles in the gym, but that if we want to exercise the muscles associated with our veins and arteries, then subjecting ourselves to cold every now and then can be good. The main comparison he was making was that we can't do this sort of work out in the gym.

I then went on to talk about how, these days, we are able to have whatever temperature we desire, and that this is not good for our vascular health.

I assume there are other health benefits too. But is this one of them? There's a pond about the size of a jacuzzi in our back yard. If I tidied it out of all its dirt, I wonder could I use this over the winter. And can someone suggest a better thread title for this thread too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I heard Ray Darcy talking a while back about how we over focus on exercising certain muscles in the gym, but that if we want to exercise the muscles associated with our veins and arteries, then subjecting ourselves to cold every now and then can be good. The main comparison he was making was that we can't do this sort of work out in the gym.

I then went on to talk about how, these days, we are able to have whatever temperature we desire, and that this is not good for our vascular health.

I assume there are other health benefits too. But is this one of them? And can someone suggest a better thread title for this thread too?

What audience group are you looking to talk to ?

As for a better thread title ,I'd suggest "Poppy's for all Irish men".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I'm no expert, but I'd reckon the cold does nothing for the most important male muscle ��

Throw a bucket of ice in the bath, just make sure you don't enter cardiac arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm no expert, but I'd reckon the cold does nothing for the most important male muscle ��

"Drops monocle".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Yes I find it hard to think when it's too cold also

• Advertisement

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Yes I find it hard to think when it's too cold also

Don't worry about that, I'm told it happens to every man sometimes .:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Don't worry about that, I'm told it happens to every man sometimes .:p

Toosh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Public transport has gone snowflake, 25 degree plus temperature resulting in healthy normal people having to take off their jackets resulting in less capacity, pure case of those setting the heat standards not having to live under them, their parking space costs nothing #OurCustomersAreWankers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I sort of enjoy cold showers. Maybe I like the misery. The key is to force yourself to stand under it and stay there, rather than dipping your toe in and then jumping out like a girl. It's fine after a few seconds and I find it really wakes me up.

Almost reduces mine to a normal size.

I sort of enjoy cold showers. Maybe I like the misery. The key is to force yourself to stand under it and stay there, rather than dipping your toe in and then jumping out like a girl. It's fine after a few seconds and I find it really wakes me up.

Almost reduces mine to a normal size.

No need for such modesty, you're amongst friends.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

I didn't really get the answer I was looking for yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Google cold shock proteins

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You made a major mistake from the off OP, you listened to Ray D'arcy.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You made a major mistake from the off OP, you listened to Ray D'arcy.
    No but it was someone he was interviewing who had just said it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

You lost me at "I heard Ray D'Arcy talking...".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No but it was someone he was interviewing who had just said it to him.

Did you hear porridge mentioned?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Who were the panel of experts?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did you hear porridge mentioned?
    What? why? It was one to two years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Women without Makeup

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Google cold shock proteins
    Yes, that's another benefit. But from what the OP says, it might have been vascular compliance that Ray Darcy was talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I assume there are other health benefits too. But is this one of them? There's a pond about the size of a jacuzzi in our back yard. If I tidied it out of all its dirt, I wonder could I use this over the winter. And can someone suggest a better thread title for this thread too?

Stopped after four words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AskMeBollix

Looks like this thread is heating up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have had no heating in my house for years.

Ladies, please form an orderly huddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Look up wim Hoff the iceman. He talks slot about benefit of cold and deep breathing to control your bodily functions immune system etc

Advertisement