Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Looking at that house makes me feel itchy.. it's like I'm allergic to it! Get it off me!! I feel like it's on me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ryath wrote: »
    It reminds me of the Swiss Cottage in Cahir but that was built as a folly!
    ?width=630&version=2209220

web-chris05399-min.jpg

Right! That's what it was saying to me, Swiss Cottage. The interior of Swiss cottage has a charm that the other one is missing though, its as though it was saying 'well a teaspoonful of this effect is lovely, so a ladleful will be even lovelier'!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ryath wrote: »
    It's hardly the worst it is at a cross roads surrounded by another cluster of houses. They are mile from the village that has a pub and a petrol station/shop. I'd have a bigger issue with the massive 300m2 mcmansions built in the middle of the country side on 2 acre sites in sites in locations where they stick out like a sore thumb. Parts of the country are absolutely blighted with them. A lot of them even ran out money and can't even afford to landscape them.

tumblr_inline_oln7rgeibD1sppt0x_1280.png

tumblr_inline_oln7pbnIZk1sppt0x_1280.png

None are aesthetically pleasing, neither the dick waving McMansions or the Hansel and Gretel house.
    If the latter was toned down a bit, then maybe.
    Looks a nightmare from a maintenance pov.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The Hague, The Netherlands

8b2a12e359843e281434bbb9f4b3a6f7.png

https://www.funda.nl/koop/den-haag/appartement-41633458-laan-van-nieuw-oost-indie-197/#foto-1

36 pics.
    €250.000

Notice anything?
    You have to sleep at your parents place because there isnt a bedroom for your €250.000

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It says in the info that it is a one bedroom house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

inforfun wrote: »
    You have to sleep at your parents place because there isnt a bedroom for your €250.000

It's an open plan space that wouldn't be my preference but there are two distinct sides to that big long room that is parallel to the kitchen. One side a living space and the other side a bedroom.

looksee wrote: »
    It says in the info that it is a one bedroom house?
    Correct... but where is that bedroom?
    A 3 room house in Holland means exactly that, 3 rooms. I only count 2, front and back room on the ground floor. Then there is the basement and the shed.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's an open plan space that wouldn't be my preference but there are two distinct sides to that big long room that is parallel to the kitchen. One side a living space and the other side a bedroom.

Old(er) Dutch houses were all built like that. Front room and a backroom. And then 2,3,4 whatever bedrooms. I dont think either room was ever a bedroom.

I actually think it used to be a massive house that has been "chopped up" into smaller apartments.

The one i posted is at no 197 in that street. Also in a part of The Hague that used to be chique.
    This is 263 for sale.

If you take the 2 floorplans, they are quite similar. Certainly on ground floor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

quarter of a million for that.

Has The Netherlands got mad house prices like Ireland as well?

Certain parts, definitely.

The Hague is not exactly a village though. Government buildings are to be found there and most, if not all ministeries too.
    Then a buttload of embassies not too far away from this Laan van NOI.
    Plus there are 17 million people on that ****ty little bit of land.

And still..... i could afford to buy a place of my own in any of the 4 big cities. Something i cant here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/115126065

Checkout the "Kitchen" in this place ... 125k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

redcup342 wrote: »
    https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/115126065

Checkout the "Kitchen" in this place ... 125k.

Plus the photo of what the view would have been 100 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Here's something different, a property without a door!

I want it. I want to buy it now. I don't care if I have to use a ladder to get in and there's no plumbing, 100 for a room is 100 for a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublintweety

Should the BER not be Z!!
    No it still has a roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That's easy enough to get in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

The Nal wrote: »

Brickendown? More like broken down! “Fixer upper”? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

The Nal wrote: »

A house with what looks like four solid walls and a roof on an acre for €15K. Maybe I'm missing something but in the right hands I think that looks like a bargain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

emeldc wrote: »
    A house with what looks like four solid walls and a roof on an acre for €15K. Maybe I'm missing something but in the right hands I think that looks like a bargain.

It's in the back arse of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

less than 10 miles from the bustling metropolis of Fethard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

No, it's just rural. It's less than 10 miles from Cashel. We don't all live in Dublin :)

It's only 10 minutes from Cashel so it's not exactly a million miles from anywhere.

The site is a decent enough size given that it's just shy of an acre and you are pretty much guaranteed planning permission as there is already a house on the land.

It seems very cheap though, even for somewhere quite rural. I'm wondering if there are drainage problems etc?

I'm from a rural enough area and that site is about 1/4 to 1/6 of the price of similar sites around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's only 10 minutes from Cashel so it's not exactly a million miles from anywhere.

The site is a decent enough size given that it's just shy of an acre and you are pretty much guaranteed planning permission as there is already a house on the land.

It seems very cheap though, even for somewhere quite rural. I'm wondering if there are drainage problems etc?

I'm from a rural enough area and that site is about 1/4 to 1/6 of the price of similar sites around here.

It looks like there's some awkwardness about what you actually get, the adjoining shed and entrance don't seem to be included in the sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

_Godot_ wrote: »

Sorry to dig up an older one, but that is by far the best review I have ever read.

Inaccessible first-floor Wisbech property for sale for £100

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-51310566

_110707409_capture.jpg

A town centre property is going under the hammer for what might seem like the bargain price of £100 - but the only problem is you cannot get into it.
    The 12sq m river-view first-floor room, wedged between two properties and suspended over an alleyway is for sale in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.
    However, it is blocked off from both sides and even the auctioneer has not been in, as the Cambs Times reported.
    It is "one of the weirdest" things the auctioneers have seen, they said.

Just sold for £1
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-51578026

A town centre property with river frontage and far-reaching views has been snapped for a cool £1 at auction.
    Although it might seem like a bargain, the drawback is there is no way to get into the 12sq m first-floor space.
    However, the room, wedged between two properties and suspended over an alleyway in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, appealed to one bidder whose hand shot up when the £1 price tag was announced.
    The guide price of £100+ was dropped to £1 at the last minute.

You'd have to wonder why one of the properties either side didn't buy it seeing as it was going for next to nothing.

Probably bought for nothing with legal fees of a few grand.

You'd have to wonder why one of the properties either side didn't buy it seeing as it was going for next to nothing.

Probably bought for nothing with legal fees of a few grand.
    Yeah, it would be a useful bit of extra space for either property, seems odd that neither were interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The most alarming thing about that is that it's sale agreed :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

That one just reeks of a property being sold by CAB.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole as I imagine that the new owner(s) will have a few visitors advising them to seek alternative accommodation elsewhere....

Advertisement