Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Moonjet wrote: »
    Meanwhile the foreign investors are going full steam ahead into Irish property.

Foreign investors rush to cash in on our housing crisis
    Spiralling rents mean Dublin is now the third-most attractive city in Europe for corporate landlords

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/foreign-investors-rush-to-cash-in-on-our-housing-crisis-37596520.html

British real estate firm buys student accommodation development in Cork

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/british-real-estate-firm-buys-student-accommodation-development-in-cork-37596898.html

Exactly this is not stable home buying we have . Imagine what happens if they rush out just as quick. The carnage would be worse than last time. At least tracker mortgages did some thing to soften the blow for some homeowners . Won't be the case this time . Any shock to our economy and there could be a forest of for sale signs and fire sales on apartment blocks with all this foreign money looking to exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Villa05

Moonjet wrote:
    Foreign investors rush to cash in on our housing crisis Spiralling rents mean Dublin is now the third-most attractive city in Europe for corporate landlords

It amazes me how a party like FG who pronounce to be pro business cannot or will not enter the property market by entering the build to rent/buy market. Instead we are selling to foreign pension funds to support foreign business and pensioners while we have a housing crisis and a pensions crisis on the way

It really beggars belief that we can let golden opportunities like this escape out of the country

Shocking mismanagement

Unless FG entered the build to rent/buy market with a view to providing subsidised accomodation to the has nots then it wouldn't go down well.

If they built and rented at market rates to professionals etc the lefties would w@nk themselves into a frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

as hard as it is for people to stomach, if these trends continue then Irish property prices may rise even further over the next 3 - 5 years.

You quoted articles about companies building and adding to the supply. Are these not good trends for the property crises?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Zenify wrote: »
    You quoted articles about companies building and adding to the supply. Are these not good trends for the property crises?

Their business model seems to be acquire as much rental property as possible, and charge the highest rent - it doesn't add to the pool of property available to buy. The rent they charge is so high that it catches people in a trap where they can't save a deposit to buy, and are stuck renting long-term hence maximizing return on these investments.

They have no moral consideration for the wellbeing of Irish people or the stability of our economy (and rightly so, they are private enterprise) - that's our government's job which they are catastrophically failing to do. Their only goal is to maximize return for their international clients and that can't be good for our country.

• Advertisement

Their business model seems to be acquire as much rental property as possible, and charge the highest rent - it doesn't add to the pool of property available to buy

Did you read the article you posted?

"London-based Round Hill, together with NBK Capital, an investment company in the Middle East, will immediately proceed to construct a mixed-use project on the site, which will include 145 purpose-built student accommodation beds and facilities"

https://m.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/british-real-estate-firm-buys-student-accommodation-development-in-cork-37596898.html

I'm not arguing about their morals just that we should all be happy about building going on.

Did you read the article you posted?

"London-based Round Hill, together with NBK Capital, an investment company in the Middle East, will immediately proceed to construct a mixed-use project on the site, which will include 145 purpose-built student accommodation beds and facilities"

https://m.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/british-real-estate-firm-buys-student-accommodation-development-in-cork-37596898.html

I'm not arguing about their morals just that we should all be happy about building going on.

Of course I read it. My point still stands, these won't make a jot of difference to the supply of property for sale in Ireland. They are implementing a long-term rental business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Of course I read it. My point still stands, these won't make a jot of difference to the supply of property for sale in Ireland. They are implementing a long-term rental business model.

Don't we have a severe need of long term rentals and professional landlords?

I don't see the problem if these folks are willing to invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Of course I read it. My point still stands, these won't make a jot of difference to the supply of property for sale in Ireland.

If someone built 10,000 apartments in Dublin - for rent only, not for sale - what do you think would happen to the sale price of apartments? What do you think would happen to the sale price of houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Augeo wrote: »
    Unless FG entered the build to rent/buy market with a view to providing subsidised accomodation to the has nots then it wouldn't go down well.

If they built and rented at market rates to professionals etc the lefties would w@nk themselves into a frenzy.

You don't sh*t in your own backyard. That's the policy. NTMA can go off and invest in rental properties in New York or Shanghai or whatever, because making life more ****ty for renters in New York is no concern of ours. However using public money to put extra pressure on an already overheated property might be seen as, I don't know, short-sighted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

RayCun wrote: »
    If someone built 10,000 apartments in Dublin - for rent only, not for sale - what do you think would happen to the sale price of apartments? What do you think would happen to the sale price of houses?
    But this is in magical lefty land where all landlords are fatcats and the government is robbing from us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

ELM327 wrote: »
    But this is in magical lefty land where all landlords are fatcats and the government is robbing from us all.

And the tax burden is on the people who pay the least tax.

RayCun wrote:

Rent and property prices would return to affordable/sustainable levels

Balancing supply and demand would prevent the type of crash that happened in 08 to 12

Economic Competitivenes would be improved considerably. Housing costs under the current system are seen as a barrier to future investment which requires employing large amounts of people

Some reits have expressed concern at the rate of inflation in rents/property prices and are looking elsewhere for future investment

People could live closer to their workplace, this would allow for expansion of public transport allowing it to become more efficient and profitable.
    It would also negate the need for motorway projects such as widening of the m7.
    Less cars and commutes would help Ireland meet its carbon emissions targets, thus avoiding large annual fines from the EU

Huge reduction in the money paid to private landlords/hotels from the state. This money then can be used to acquire permanent assets for the state.
    State can generate income in the form of rent at affordable rates from working people. If managed correctly housing can become revenue positive for the state as opposed to the current situation where it is a drag on her finances

JDD wrote:
    You don't sh*t in your own backyard. That's the policy. NTMA can go off and invest in rental properties in New York or Shanghai or whatever, because making life more ****ty for renters in New York is no concern of ours. However using public money to put extra pressure on an already overheated property might be seen as, I don't know, short-sighted?

Property market is overheated by an imbalance in supply and demand. Increasing supply would cool the market, help prevent an out of control asset price bubble and return the market to sustainable levels

ELM327 wrote:

Increasing supply where there is an imbalance is responding to market forces. Is that lefty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/property-experts-predict-steady-but-unspectacular-property-growth-in-2019-1.3718587

Some very interesting stuff in this like agents having to lay off staff and 2018 being a tough year for sales. Feels like too many people are wary of getting over exposed this time and so the estate agents are rowing back prices to make sales. Expect more affordable asking prices in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

beaz2018 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/property-experts-predict-steady-but-unspectacular-property-growth-in-2019-1.3718587

Some very interesting stuff in this like agents having to lay off staff and 2018 being a tough year for sales. Feels like too many people are wary of getting over exposed this time and so the estate agents are rowing back prices to make sales. Expect more affordable asking prices in 2019.

Same author wrote an interesting article in 2005 about demand continuing due to population growth etc and property being a safe and stable investment for one and all. Sherry Fitz chief economist. Needless to say I'd say there is a rather positive outlook taken of the current market by the author.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/prices-up-15-in-2005-and-growth-will-continue-1.1288629

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not by the looks of agent in our area. After a few weeks back it was posted they had sale agreed on a Friday, told person to drop in deposit on the Monday. He went to drop in and they had sold the house for more on the Saturday.....

They then decide to post the following:
    SALE AGREED in record time & delightfully over the asking price!!! Similar properties now urgently required as we have a list of disappointed underbidders just waiting to purchase their dream home!

The "home" is a tiny little thing which was up for 230k. It was sold in August this year for 216k so looks like someone bought, stuck back up again and made a fw quid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

dor843088 wrote: »
    Same author wrote an interesting article in 2005 about demand continuing due to population growth etc and property being a safe and stable investment for one and all. Sherry Fitz chief economist. Needless to say I'd say there is a rather positive outlook taken of the current market by the author.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/prices-up-15-in-2005-and-growth-will-continue-1.1288629
    fake news?

mkdon wrote: »

fake news?

There is no author...? Its quotes from estate agents....

• Advertisement

fake news?

There is no author...? Its quotes from estate agents....

My mistake, wrong article

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Obviously this would depend on the area you are in but I wouldn't expect prices to drop back in any way in the Dublin area or indeed any of the major cities. Why would they? Demand is still high and supply is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

kippy wrote: »
    Obviously this would depend on the area you are in but I wouldn't expect prices to drop back in any way in the Dublin area or indeed any of the major cities. Why would they? Demand is still high and supply is low.
    but people can only borrow so much now before they reach their limit..

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

how do you make out brexit is going to cause housing crash? and what about trump?

I'm not personally suggesting this, I'm pointing out that this seems to be the word on the street and its making people slow down or wait to see what happens.

You can see the desperation on this thread, first time buyers angry at the quite knowledgeable posters for not saying there will be a decrease in prices. Dreaming of a crash, so they can buy their dream house in clontarf for 250k. Not gonna happen.

oceanman wrote: »

can someone forward the article can't read it it's blocked unless subcrobeed payer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

oceanman wrote: »
    Indeed but there are so few places for sale I cannot see how this would drasticilly reduce house prices in high demand areas.

You can see the desperation on this thread, first time buyers angry at the quite knowledgeable posters for not saying there will be a decrease in prices. Dreaming of a crash, so they can buy their dream house in clontarf for 250k. Not gonna happen.

Agree 100% with you. It's wishful thinking. Trump has been in office 2 years (half his elected term) and Irish property prices have risen over 20% since 2016. Brexit could just as easily cause Irish property to boom though multinationals in the finance sector relocating here over the next 10 years. It could also hit our economy and result in another recession causing property to crash. That's the thing, nobody know yet. I would be highly suspect of anyone who claims to predict the impact of Brexit with any degree of accuracy.

I know times are desperate in the rental and FTB market but Trump and Brexit aren't the saviors, and won't result in any meaningful solution to our property crisis. We need to look closer to home.

matsy1 wrote: »

I live in a 3 bed semi in south Dublin with my partner rent free and have this set up at least for another 4 years. Theres no "desperation" from me.

I've been following the property market for the last 2 and a half years and going to viewings and putting bids on. Our price range has been 350k - 470k. I cant talk for any other market than this. I haven't bought yet as theres no value and I'm not going to bid more for a property than what it's worth in my view. Also the longer I stay here, the more I save and the better value is in property higher up.

There has been a big change in the market in the second half of this year as many posters here have said too. A big change is not a crash, it's more of a feeling that the power is moving from seller to buyer.

The desperation here in my view seems to be coming from the other side. A recent poster put up an article from Irelands top estate agents about a slowdown in the second half of this year (agrees with what a lot of people here have been saying) and the only way to reply was trying to discredit the author??? These people also have a vested interest in high prices. I haven't got a clue what the property market is going to do next year, nobody does. Anybody trying to say its definitely going to go up or down probably knows even less.

agree 100% there is vested interest in house prices going up

is there another few links for the estate agents being let go due to downturn in business outside the link sent on earlier

I have definitely seen a shift and a feel that many are waiting to see how brexit plays out

a slow down in increases is even predicted by the experts but even the experts haven't got the foggiest what will happen with brexit

quote="Zenify;108812151"]I live in a 3 bed semi in south Dublin with my partner rent free and have this set up at least for another 4 years. Theres no "desperation" from me.

I've been following the property market for the last 2 and a half years and going to viewings and putting bids on. Our price range has been 350k - 470k. I cant talk for any other market than this. I haven't bought yet as theres no value and I'm not going to bid more for a property than what it's worth in my view. Also the longer I stay here, the more I save and the better value is in property higher up.

There has been a big change in the market in the second half of this year as many posters here have said too. A big change is not a crash, it's more of a feeling that the power is moving from seller to buyer.

The desperation here in my view seems to be coming from the other side. A recent poster put up an article from Irelands top estate agents about a slowdown in the second half of this year (agrees with what a lot of people here have been saying) and the only way to reply was trying to discredit the author??? These people also have a vested interest in high prices. I haven't got a clue what the property market is going to do next year, nobody does. Anybody trying to say its definitely going to go up or down probably knows even less.[/quote]

• Advertisement

matsy1 wrote: »
    I'm not personally suggesting this, I'm pointing out that this seems to be the word on the street and its making people slow down or wait to see what happens.

shoe is on other foot...seems you are the angry one that prices may be slowing...Ftbs aren't disparate I think many actually holding off for value in market

250k for clontarf 3 bed is unrealistic even if there was a correction but a drop off is as likely as an increase at the end of day no-one knows

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement