Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philip Cairns' Murder finally confirmed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

What a f***ed up sick f***er. Horrible c**t..
    I don't understand how he was getting away with it. No evidence? It seems that a lot of people had figured out he was a sick B*****d.
    He even sent one little girl Valentines gifts??? :mad::mad::mad: Shameless and Fearless.

From that article:
    The court also heard a man who worked with Cooke in Radio Dublin recall that the majority of the staff left the station when they heard of the abuse.
    He said he learned a 10-year-old girl was abused by Cooke, who had threatened to show her mother photos of her in his bedroom if she did not return to the room.

I'm asuming that was this "mutiny":
    http://www.dxarchive.com/ireland_dublin_radio_dublin_mutiny_1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

aphex™ wrote: »
    The studio was in Inchicore so he's probably buried in the Phoenix park.

From the early 1980s, including the time of the disappearance of Philip Cairns in 1986, the studio of Radio Dublin was in Kilmainham in a red brick cottage at 58 Inchicore Road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8, which was about 50 metres from Kilmainham Jail, on the the opposite side of the road to the Jail.
    http://www.dxarchive.com/personal_recollections_ireland_1981_part_1.html#dublin
    http://www.dxarchive.com/ireland_dublin_radio_dublin.html

Sometime in the 1990s this cottage was demolished and an apartment complex named Rosemount Court built in its place.

Could it be worthwhile for the Gardai to dig the grounds of Rosemount Court now?

It sends shivers down my spine that this sick pedophile was carrying out abuse in the locality as far back as the 1970s and nobody reported him at the time the abuse was happening and now it appears that he may have killed a child also. Sick. It would be better for this pedophile that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Fleawuss wrote: »
    To use your own way of thinking, what sort of twisted logic would cause a person to focus on the abuser in a thread about the person who withheld information for 30 years. Start a thread on the abuser if you want.
    Thought this thread was about what possibly happened to Philip Cairns? I don't see anything indicating that this thread is specifically about the person who withheld information (not sure how long she withheld it for - it appears she came forward in the past). Of course she's obviously a big part of the story but statements that she's as bad as the abuser are through the looking glass stuff.

Even the claimed suspicion that she was involved?! Who would be more likely to come forward to the guards - someone who helped kill a child themselves, or a victim of the abuser, who had been silenced?

Which is more likely - that she withheld the information for the craic/to be a heartless bitch or that she did so under duress?

Speculating is fair enough - I'm speculating myself - but stating she could/would have done xyz as fact? How do people know all this? Do they have access to all the information the guards have, regarding who she is and all that's been going on in the background since 1996?

Abusers are powerful, intimidating, manipulative people - they are capable of breaking down others to extraordinary degrees, and of creating untold fear. And not just to those whom they abuse, but to those whom they're afraid could "still". The guards said she displayed extraordinary courage in coming forward - why would they say this without cause?

There's a very old resurrected thread in the Radio forum about the DJ, with a post written in 2007 by one person saying he is the worst man ever... and the reason she knows this is because she was his daughter. Maybe she is the woman who came forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

"Spill" not "still". Annoying that you can't edit your posts as a new user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As much as we lambast the church for their behaviour over child abuse, a failure to deal with it was rampant in all areas of Irish society at the time. Adults molesting children was more of a "don't be alone with him" matter than a criminal one. Even the Gardai wouldn't follow up complaints unless someone had died.
    If someone was in any way influential, like Cooke was, they had more power to ruin their accusers life than vice-versa.

I live a stone's throw from where Philip disappeared. I pass the laneway every day on my way to work.

Rumours have circulated since the late 90s about who did it, and in the mid 2000s, apparently everyone basically knew who it was, including the Cairns family and the Gardai, but didn't have the evidence to do anything about it.

I hope this information at the very least confirms what they already knew rather than creating any new questions. They may not have justice for Philip but at least they can know his murderer didn't enjoy the benefit of freedom and happiness in his final years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The Indo must have reprinted this story at least 20 times trying to get readers, and just recently altered the headline to read
    'I saw "Captain" Cooke kill Philip' - woman reveals notorious DJ behind 30-year mystery

Yet, it's still the exact same story. What a sh*trag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=EQL8A8rEdg0

This is Cooke denying it on radio (from what I can gather from the clip).

This would give anyone the creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

You have no idea how old this person was at the time, or the reasoning behind her keeping it secret.

Very easy to sit behind a keyboard and declare someone should be hung drawn and quartered with little knowledge of the details.

Bull****, all she had to do was give an anonymous tipoff to the gardai. For 30 years the Cairns family have suffered because she knew and said nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Odd discussion about digging holes and trenches for cables in that DX Archive article linked above. Maybe it might be worth running ground penetrating radar equipment over the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Bull****, all she had to do was give an anonymous tipoff to the gardai. For 30 years the Cairns family have suffered because she knew and said nothing.

Yeah, I'm sure it was that simple. Cut and dry case, throw the book at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Even an anynomyous tip off to the rozzers to at least point them in the right direction
    absolutly disgusting to put that family through that for 30 years whilst sitting on your hands
    the mind boggles

She probably is deeply religious and Jesus forgave her .. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The woman needs to be named and publically identified in the media so she can never enjoy one minute of what remains of her life in this country. The heartbreak of Philips family not knowing what happened to him and the amount of man hours that went in to the search when she knew all along where she last saw him.

Agreed. All the bleeding hearts on here feeling sorry for her. Ffs your kind would be changed if it were your son.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Here's a quote from an Irish times article about the Gardai's new line of inquiry ;

“These lines of inquiry include interviewing people and cross-referencing DNA profiles with those on items recovered as part of this investigation.
    “At this point in time these new lines of inquiry have not yielded positive results. However the investigation is very much active and ongoing.”

Unless I'm wrong here , from reading this the Gardai are only now cross referencing DNA profiles from items recovered (the bag I imagine ) with Cookes DNA . I'd have assumed any convicted paedophile in the Dublin area would have already had their DNA tested against the DNA on Philips bag years ago ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

anewme wrote: »

He also boasted of being a high level republican

That makes sense as so many of those RA heads were paedos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Here's a quote from an Irish times article about the Gardai's new line of inquiry ;

“These lines of inquiry include interviewing people and cross-referencing DNA profiles with those on items recovered as part of this investigation.
    “At this point in time these new lines of inquiry have not yielded positive results. However the investigation is very much active and ongoing.”

Unless I'm wrong here , from reading this the Gardai are only now cross referencing DNA profiles from items recovered (the bag I imagine ) with Cookes DNA . I'd have assumed any convicted paedophile in the Dublin area would have already had their DNA tested against the DNA on Philips bag years ago ?

I think the issue here maybe that they couldn't get his DNA until after he died. He may not have given permission.
    Maybe a next of kin gave permission to take it after he passed.

Again I'm guessing and I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

The woman needs to be named and publically identified in the media so she can never enjoy one minute of what remains of her life in this country. The heartbreak of Philips family not knowing what happened to him and the amount of man hours that went in to the search when she knew all along where she last saw him.

What if punishing the woman in this way discourages other people in similar circumstances who have information on certain cases and have held it back for years ( for whatever reasons) , from ever coming forward ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aine......

How do you know she wasn't a child herself? And a victim at that.

There could be so much more to this, but yeah, keep the pitch forks at the ready.

Too true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Actually, you don't know that. Her evidence was extremely specific from the sounds of it, and, taking it as it stands, it would be very obvious to the "high-up Republican" who orchestrated a petrol bomb attack on one person who spoke out against him, and stalked several others as children, to know who it was.

And for thirty years, the Cairns family have suffered because an evil son of a bitch kidnapped their son and presumably murdered him.
    CaraMay wrote: »
    Agreed. All the bleeding hearts on here feeling sorry for her. Ffs your kind would be changed if it were your son.

Maybe so, but there's a damn good reason why the families of victims aren't the ones in charge of administering justice, isn't there? Most of us "bleeding hearts" are rolling our eyes at a witch hunt on the person who is trying to see justice done now. Why she didn't do it years before (although she seems to have done something of the sort in 2011, and possibly some point in the 90s, reports are conflicted there) is a question to which -most- of us are accepting we don't know the answer to, and in the absence of that answer, have more interest in seeing justice and answers finally given to Philip Cairns' family than we do in seeing the one person who may be able to help answer now being hanged, tarred and feathered for a crime which there is no evidence she took part in committing.

Long-term witness protection would be very interesting if some of you chaps had your way. About a tenth of the protection devoted to keeping the perpetrators from hurting them, and nine-tenths devoted to preventing the public from helping the perpetrators get away with it by murdering the witnesses in righteous rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Well done gardai. They always get their man! Just send two officers down to the cemetery to arrest him, and we're sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 anonydubmous

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Well done gardai. They always get their man! Just send two officers down to the cemetery to arrest him, and we're sorted

True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Sound Bite wrote: »
    While it seems almost impossible to understand why this woman didn't come word sooner, I'm sure she had her reasons- most likely fear, love or a misguided sense of loyalty.

It's better to speak out late than never at all and I'm sure that there are many others in this country that are protecting other murders in similar ways- false alibi/with holding information.

What absolute baloney.

Love? Misguided sense of loyalty? Seriously? And that is supposed to make it understandable that someone kept their mouth shut for 30 years? Philip's father died in 2014. He died not knowing what happened to his son. There is no excuse for that person not coming forward sooner. I don't care how much they loved or feared him or if they were a kid at the time. Whatever age they were, they are, at the very least, in their 40's now.

Unless it transpires that he kept her in a basement somewhere since 1986, then I hope she does time over it.

Samaris wrote: »
    Why she didn't do it years before (although she seems to have done something of the sort in 2011, and possibly some point in the 90s, reports are conflicted there) is a question to which -most- of us are accepting we don't know the answer to, and in the absence of that answer, have more interest in seeing justice
    We all have more interest in seeing any possible justice done for the Cairns family than we have an interest in this woman.

But we can chew gum & walk straight. Aside from our primary desire to see justice for the Cairns, many of us have an underlying anger that it has taken thirty years to provide information, allowing Philip Cairns Senior to go to his deathbed, never knowing what became of his son.

It may be that this woman has been tied to a chair for thirty years. It may be that she was psychologically tortured, although it's not clear how one can be tortured by a man who was in prison for the past decade.

In the absence of countervailing facts, it is fair to criticise someone who knowingly maintained this dreadful secret for thirty years, in full knowledge of the agony being endured by the Cairns family, and the presumed rape and murder of their teenage son. Maybe she has an explanation, but I don't believe it's rational to assume that she had good reasons for covering-up the apparent murder of a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It may be that this woman has been tied to a chair for thirty years. It may be that she was psychologically tortured, although it's not clear how one can be tortured by a man who was in prison for the past decade.

In the absence of countervailing facts, it is fair to criticise someone who knowingly maintained this dreadful secret for thirty years, in full knowledge of the agony being endured by the Cairns family, and the presumed rape and murder of their teenage son. Maybe she has an explanation, but I don't believe it's rational to assume that she had good reasons for covering-up the apparent murder of a boy.

Thats the thing those saying that calls for her to be punished are morons or a lynch mob aren't getting, he was an old man in jail with any Republican connections presumably burned (and if every bar fly in Dublin that boasted about being a Republican had actually been in the RA we would have had a united Ireland long ago) for a fairly considerable time before she came forward with this information. Its not the same as witnesses to a McArthy Dundon murder or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I really hope they find some DNA on the bag linking it to Eamon Cooke. It might give his family a little bit of peace but they probably will never know exactly what happened!
    For some strange reason I looked up Philip Cairns back in May. I remember thinking to myself how life must have being for his family since with all those unanswered questions and all the family events he missed and it's hard to really imagine.

I remember thinking to myself how life must have being for his family since with all those unanswered questions and all the family events he missed and it's hard to really imagine.
    Even just the everyday stuff...
    when did they stop communicating with his schoolteachers?
    when did they empty his wardrobe?
    Did they throw away his clothes one day?
    What were his birthdays like?
    How can you lock your doors and windows at night time, knowing your son isn't home and he isn't safe?

Just think of the lives that have been destroyed here. A disappearance like this isn't a normal tragedy, it must saturate & torment every aspect of your daily existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Eliezer Deafening Sock

Even just the everyday stuff...
    when did they stop communicating with his schoolteachers?
    when did they empty his wardrobe?
    Did they throw away his clothes one day?
    What were his birthdays like?
    How can you lock your doors and windows at night time, knowing your son isn't home and he isn't safe?

Just think of the lives that have been destroyed here. A disappearance like this isn't a normal tragedy, it must saturate & torment every aspect of your daily existence.

I think it must be one of the absolute worst ways to lose someone, just gone, no answers but you know whatever happened to them was probably awful. I can't imagine how people live like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,771 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As far as I know the scumbag had been incarcerated for 10 years or whatever up until his death. He could have had no hold on the woman who gave up the information.

Not sure I buy the whole fainting story either it all sounds a bit convenient.

i don't know about the inner working of the law or whatever but I do think this woman should have some sort of justice dished out to her when all things considered. Sometimes not speaking up is almost as bad as the crime itself and in the intervening period I cannot see why she could not speak up. Also should the monster have had some connection on the outside the Gardai can still provide protection to her.

Either way I cannot see any excuse for her silence.

I feel so bad for the family. A little closer to knowing the truth of what happened but sadly no closer at this point anyway of being able to bury their son.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I can see that if she was in fear of this man why she stayed quiet. At the same time we don't know why she did stay quiet. I hope there are good reasons because the Cairns family must have spent the rest of their days in hell because of what happened to their child. The poor kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'm sure the story released to the media is deliberately omitting detail. The tale of her fainting may well be to cover something told that they need to investigate.

Very very sad case. I live locally and am the same age as Philip would be now. It was very frightening to us all back then.

I really hope there is closure here for his family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement