Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tetris Documentry

• 10-08-2013 11:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just finished watching this new Tetris documentary about finding the best in the world. its well worth a watch, its very much along the lines of King of Kong. I think its called "Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Must check this out. I thought you'd be talking about the From Russia With Love one. I haven't heard of this other one. Sounds good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

just watched that after spotting your post, great stuff, cheers!

i was wondering before it started whether they'd go in to the whole hallucinating/dreaming about tetris stuff, never heard it called 'the tetris effect', definitely had several few bouts of that circa 1990

Just finished watching this myself now too. Absolutely loved it. Hugely entertaining stuff. On a sidenote, it took me ages to cop that it was the NES Punk that was announcing during the tournament. For half of it I was scratching my head thinking "Why's the dude from Jackass there?" :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Its very good alright, i wasn't expecting much from it to be honest, but it really was up there with chasing ghosts and king of kong. I found it strange they didn't put Pats name up on screen when he was on, unless i missed it. They seemed, generally anyways, a bit more normal than the people from the other two documentary's.

I hated Chasing Ghosts. It was long, boring, and depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Excellent documentary Keith, great find. Just watched Thor's full game, he's the Ronnie O'Sullivan of the Tetris world. Amazing game especially with someone knocking on the door right at the end! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Watching now.

"Long bar drought"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I saw this a few weeks ago. Definitely worth a watch. Has a bit of a personal story to go along with the competition and they strike the right tone without getting overly sentimental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Just watched this thanks!
    Really glad Thor got to level 30 in the end! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Thanks for the link, watching it now.

Question :How come
    all the best players are from the U.S.?

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, watching it now.

Question :How come
    all the best players are from the U.S.?

Id say when they said "worlds" best, the meant "Americas" best. I doubt they had the budget for a world wide thing.

I'm guessing the Japanese didn't keep playing the NES original like the Americans did. They'd be playing The Grandmaster 3 or something so directly comparing who's best is impossible.

This whole classic games world record attempt thing seems to be more of an American phenomenon than a Japanese one.

I take it tetris the grand master is a jamma game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

urbanledge wrote: »
    I take it tetris the grand master is a jamma game?

Yeah I believe so.

Defo think those guys on Grand Master could get level 30.

That's hard to say for sure. The more modern Tetris games are different in the sense you can slide pieces around more after they land. You also don't have to do joy pad waggling to get pieces to move sideways. faster.

Yeah sure there was a guy in the Documentary who was a grandmaster and he didn't make the semi-finals.

Sure even in the tetris arcade cab i have, you can only rotate the pieces one way i think.

no way keith its always two!

There are a lot of other considerations when it comes to comparing difficulty between all the different versions. In Grand Master you have the sound cues that tell you what the next piece will be. I don't know what it's like when it comes to the droughts you get in NES Tetris. You could go 20 pieces without getting a long bar.

I'm assuming Tengen Tetris is a lot easier because people do huge marathon games on it. The maxout speed isn't as fast anyway. I'd imagine NES Tetris is the only version where the pieces go too fast to reach the sides at all.

urbanledge wrote: »
    no way keith its always two!

Pretty sure its just one way, it says here there is only one rotate button. i have 3 buttons per player wired up on my cab and can only rotate one way. id be happy to be wrong as id like to rotate the opposite direction, but i dont think you can?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10081

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Enjoyed that doc, thanks for the heads up OP :)

Need another fix of Retro Gaming Docu's! Have seen King of Kong also. Anybody have any suggestions?

PS: Been playing tetris on the NES since watching this. Top score on mode B 65,XXX :pac:

I've watched a few but genuinely good documentaries are a bit thin on the ground. While it isn't retro per se I liked Indie Gaming The Movie. Chasing Ghosts: Beyond The Arcade is okay. Here's a list of interesting looking ones I've been meaning to work my way through: http://www.heavy.com/games/2013/07/know-your-history-the-15-best-video-game-documentaries/. I'm looking forward to seeing From Bedrooms To Billions whenever that becomes available.

Videogames are kind of too broad a subject to do well as a retrospective. Better served by looking at Youtube videos for whatever you're into. Pinball is a bit better served I liked TILT. Having a look at Special When Lit next.

Retroware TV on YouTube do a great series called the video game years. Basically it's 45 minutes a year on the history of video games, well worth a watch. A lot of lads from the game chasers are on it, also speaking of.. The gamechasers on YouTube is must see!

Ah yes, I've already seen all the gamechasers! Such a good show but pretty annoying that they find so much cool stuff out in the wild. Makes me jealous! :P

Off to check out Chasing Ghosts.

I've watched a few but genuinely good documentaries are a bit thin on the ground. While it isn't retro per se I liked Indie Gaming The Movie. Chasing Ghosts: Beyond The Arcade is okay. Here's a list of interesting looking ones I've been meaning to work my way through: http://www.heavy.com/games/2013/07/know-your-history-the-15-best-video-game-documentaries/. I'm looking forward to seeing From Bedrooms To Billions whenever that becomes available.

Videogames are kind of too broad a subject to do well as a retrospective. Better served by looking at Youtube videos for whatever you're into. Pinball is a bit better served I liked TILT. Having a look at Special When Lit next.

Excellent link there, dude. I'll be checking a few of these documentaries out, especially the ones surrounding fighting games (of which there seems to be quite a few).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Thoroughly enjoyed that, thanks for the recommendation, OP.

I think Tetris benefits from attracting a slightly more "normal" type of geek. They were all really pleasant people and I enjoyed watching the camaraderie cum competitiveness between them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ah yes, I've already seen all the gamechasers! Such a good show but pretty annoying that they find so much cool stuff out in the wild. Makes me jealous! :P

Off to check out Chasing Ghosts.

I watched Chasing Ghosts last night, I liked it. It was a bit sad :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

There are a lot of other considerations when it comes to comparing difficulty between all the different versions. In Grand Master you have the sound cues that tell you what the next piece will be. I don't know what it's like when it comes to the droughts you get in NES Tetris. You could go 20 pieces without getting a long bar.

I'm assuming Tengen Tetris is a lot easier because people do huge marathon games on it. The maxout speed isn't as fast anyway. I'd imagine NES Tetris is the only version where the pieces go too fast to reach the sides at all.

Always said the tengen version of tetris was the better coded one..and I was right..lazy BPS and their silly kill screens..
    did like the documentary mind you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement