Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat fur + syrup = moustache? Adventure Games!

Options
  • 18-05-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I am and always have been a huge fan of adventure games, the Broken Sword series will always be my favourite series, the 3d installments were passable and Nicos incredibly tight trousers in those games made them worth playing alone ;)

Recently reading a let's play of the first Gabriel Knight game gave me the adventure gaming bug and now i'm looking for a new one to play, unfotunately i can't really find any I haven't already completed. Monkey island, dreamfall, grim fandango, the Gabriel Knight series, full throttle, the dig, all played and finished as well as a couple of the other scummvm games.

Any recomendations?

And for discussion, what's your favourite adventure game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you haven't played it, get day of the tentacle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

or try some of the new telltale games.
    sam and max episodes, back to the future point and click or if you happen to know the property already, "strongbads cool game for attractive people"

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Circus_O

If you haven't played it, get day of the tentacle

Dammit a game i've heard of lots of times but never played, thanks for reminding me!
    some of the new telltale games.

Have you played them? I played the original sam and max games and loved them how do the telltale ones hold up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's only 4 gabriel knight games imo... maybe 3. Jane Jensen who created them went away for awhile and her latest game only got released recently after going through development hell. Might be worth checking out since it got some very good reviews. It's called Gray Matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Simon the Sorcerer might be worth a look.
    It's available on a few systems and even got a re-release on the iPhone/iPad a while ago.

• Advertisement

That Gray Matter game looks very interesting, thanks for the recommendation

I think i played simon the sorceror, i shall have a look again in case i'm thinking of something else, thank ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Simon the Sorceror I and II are both great.
    Beneath a Steel Sky is a classic.
    Day of the Tentacle is a must play, as is Sam & Max Hit the Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

here is a link for some of the best online point and click games out there

http://www.casualgirlgamer.com/articles/entry/3/Top-10-point-and-click-games/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Are we forgetting Discworld and Discworld 2, I have them on the PS but I believe they are also out for the PC, old now but still funny, take the mickey out of the idiosyncrasies of the point and click genre. Eric Idle is very funny as Rincewind and well worth tracking down, don't know if they are compatible with the PS mouse, might be worth finding out.
    Discworld Noir as well is supposed to be great, on PC only I think.

Discworld 1 and 2 and noir are very very awesome games, especially for a HUGE Terry Pratchett fan like myself.

I have the Noir discs around somewhere.. I must play through that again.

Currently playing day of the tentacle! Thanks again RedXIV :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I loved the Sierra games like Space Quest, Kings quest and of course Leisure Suit larry and the SCUMM games likewise. I did a playthrough of Beneath a Steel Sky not so long ago, it's just a brilliant game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

someone has Discworld Noir for pc up on adverts for 25 euro claiming they are rare
    are they as i can see it on ebay for a lot less!?

Noir isn't that rare, I had 2 copies at one stage as it was just thrown in a bundle.

But would def recommend the discworld games if you haven't played them. Don't have to be a fan of the books but it does make some of the puzzles easier.

Glad you're enjoying day of the tentacle, only played it myself for the first time last year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I love point and click adventure games, but I'm always extremely crap at them :(

I remember getting Gabriel Knight years ago. Thought it had so much potential - but after about an hour or two I was completely lost.

Tried playing Beneath a Steel Sky recently, again, was really enjoy it - but kept getting stuck. Unlike my attempt at Gabriel Knight, we now have FAQs..but I hate having to use them!

I'm pretty sure the only one I've ever finished was Blade Runner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I always inevitably find myself wandering around desperately trying to solve a particularly obtuse puzzle. As much as I wanted to like Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic (which has some great writing) the logic jumps in that are sometimes absurdly complicated - and since the world is relatively open you have no idea what puzzle you're meant to solve next at times.

The Monkey Island remakes and originals are great fun. Telltale games, from what I've played, are so-so: they're fun, well written and often well presented, but the mechanics and gameplay can be a bit frustrating. And the Phoenix Wright series is quite close to modern 'point and click', and a lot of fun to boot, although they do IMO get a bit repetitive.

What kills me in these games is when I'm stuck for ages and get to the stage where I know what I'm to interact with and I've 60 odd items in my inventory to combine it with and the second I get the right one, the logic of the move clicks into place.

When you crack one of those puzzles though, you do feel a bit like a genius

If you've come across the
    animal sound map
    in the new monkey island game, that took me about an hour to crack but when i did, I felt amazing afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you've come from a background playing flashy action riddled console and arcade games, point and click adventures can really be difficult to stick with.

With myself it's not so much to do with a short attention span as is bad riddle solving abilities which leads to frustration due to the lack of any pay off.

I could spend three hours wandering around barely managing to solve one or two puzzles with little to no game progression. As a result feeling like a complete moron. (well deserved may I add)

Or in that same timeframe, finish Metal Slug 3 or 4 times and feel like a god. :D

Some adventure games do have ridiculous puzzles with completely illogical solutions, but when you eventually solve them
    RedXIV wrote: »
    you do feel a bit like a genius

I think this is the minority tho, most adventure game puzzles are an "oh, now I get it" moment after a bit of lateral thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Circus_O wrote: »
    Some adventure games do have ridiculous puzzles with completely illogical solutions, but when you eventually solve them

I think this is the minority tho, most adventure game puzzles are an "oh, now I get it" moment after a bit of lateral thinking

+1

Need I mention "Rex Nebular and The Cosmic Gender-Bender"?

The most ridiculous and illogical game of all time.

Thank god games like that are a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thread title made me think of Old Man Murray:
    Who killed adventure games?

I dislike Monkey Island -- have both 1 & 2 and can't finish them without guides as they make no damn sense!

Beneath a Steel Sky not only has a superior setting IMHO, but it also preserves a bit more logic.
    I'll pick up Gemini Rue soon; it seems more BaSS than MI.

And Hotel Dusk: Room 215 on DS is better than both these.
    I must get the sequel, too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I also liked Lucas Arts Full Throttle, kept me amused for a while.
    Probably the only one i finished, Monkey Island was great but some parts i couldn't get by, maybe a re-visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Throttle_%281995_video_game%29

Advertisement