Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to research your Irish family - first post updated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yaya,

Try the valuations office next. There may be notations on the file. This would at least give you the exact date that the pub transferred to your family's ownership and out of it again. The Registry of Deeds might hold further information on it but it is a bit daunting to go in there - they are very helpful but it's a complicated system....last resort I would say.
    You could also check with the Probate Office to see if there's a will for the previous owners. I'm more familiar with much older wills in the National Archives but they do not go as far as the 1920s/30s. If a modern will was probated then it becomes public record and should be accessible. Wills were not that common until the latter half of the 20th century. In your case, where a building passes to seemingly unrelated people, it's possible there'll be a will.

Is it possible they did not actually own it but managed it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

Thanks for that Pinkypinky. I'll follow up on those suggestions.
    As far as the family is concerned, they owned it- the story goes that they sold it in the 1950's but a solicitor with money issues was involved in the sale and they never saw any of the money from the sale - I know nothing about legal issues etc so I don't know if maybe that's all a bit of a story now?! Their names were listed in Thoms though- does that only confirm that they were the main occupants of the pub, not necessarily owners?

Yes, just the occupiers and rate payers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With regard to online records, I'm not too happy with the accuracy where the details have been extracted and transcribed onto relevant forms. I was waiting for the Derry records to go online, so that I could back further than a 1879 marriage on my father's side of the family.

I paid €5 for an 1879 church wedding details and the same again for a civil record. The groom died in Scotland in 1909, and the old documents on the Scottish site are actually scanned into the system, so I was able to see the hand-written entry in the register of deaths. The christian name and occupation of the deceased's father are not the same on the 1879 and 1909 records, leading me to assume that the Derry ones are incorrect.

I contacted derrycity.gov.uk and was told that errors may occur, but if I wanted to verify it, I could check the original source.:eek:

Having the availability of online records is a great idea, but not if, after handing over the loot, it costs you an arm and a leg to prove that some plonker made a mistake.

Do all of the centres "transcribe"? I know that one of the Mayo sites does, as I ended up with some strange placenames on one that I got from them re another side of the family.

I haven't used the brsgenealogy site much myself - mainly because I feel it's an extortionate amount per view. Most of my ancestry is Dublin based and they don't have the city included.

It's worth noting that their work is done by volunteers in different family history societies in each county. It's not a State-run or organised thing.

Also with death certs, information is frequently wrong, right up to the current day. My own grandmother is down with an incorrect age because they didn't verify against her birth date and the enormous hassle that it will cause to fix it has lead to it staying inaccurate. The person giving the information on a death cert may not have the same information as the dead person. If you have a marriage cert and a death cert, then the one where the groom is alive and giving the info himself seems more likely to be correct. Remember too that people frequently used different names and that a middle name could be used on one cert and a first on the other. Spelling was also not formalised for many places and surnames until the early 20th century and the person may have been illiterate and so relying on a third party for spelling.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

^That's right. There are often mistakes. My father's death cert has the wrong date on it and the wrong marital status. And on my birthcert his age is wrong.

I imagined that Fás scheme-type folks both sides of the border carried out the transcribing, given that one I did 20 years ago was history-related. Conscientiousness didn't seem to be part of the programme.:(

This is a link to the biggest robbers that I've used so far. They give you the impression that you get so many units per €10, and for that I got one transcribed marriage record.:eek: I'd expect a scanned image for that.
    http://www.mayoancestors.com/default.aspx?SID=341247&Type=MA

The Scottish one http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ operates on an expiring credit system, but on more recent records, you have to order a copy of a document for it seems £10.

I know that names and places are a problem, and always were. Looking back at Griffiths for North Kerry, one of an aunt of mine's ancestors was listed as "Quinty", but the family spell the name "County".

From the Derry one, I discovered that my great-great grandmother was a Deehan when she got married, but her maiden name was listed as Deighan in Scotland thereafter.

At this rate, I'll probably meet my ancestors in hell first. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Hi All
    Big fan of boards.ie and delighted to spot this thread. Is there a reason why an RIC officer would not be recorded on the census of 1911? This sounds like a really stupid question but have 2 relatives who were in the RIC in Munster at the time and cannot find any trace of them on the census, though their wives and families are recorded.

fifilarue wrote: »
    Hi All
    Big fan of boards.ie and delighted to spot this thread. Is there a reason why an RIC officer would not be recorded on the census of 1911? This sounds like a really stupid question but have 2 relatives who were in the RIC in Munster at the time and cannot find any trace of them on the census, though their wives and families are recorded.

Perhaps they were on duty hiding in the bushes somewhere:eek:.

fifilarue wrote: »
    Hi All

If he was living in a barracks.
    Soliders are often listed with just initials. Same with hospitals and prisons.

Example from Dublin:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/New_Kilmainham/Richmond_Military_Barracks/31763/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »

Example from Dublin:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/New_Kilmainham/Richmond_Military_Barracks/31763/

But he would be a policeman, or did the same rule apply to police "barracks"/Stations?

PS Yes they did, as I discovered on my local census.

Example from Dublin:
    Thanks a million-never thought of that.

Yaya,

Try the valuations office next. There may be notations on the file. This would at least give you the exact date that the pub transferred to your family's ownership and out of it again. The Registry of Deeds might hold further information on it but it is a bit daunting to go in there - they are very helpful but it's a complicated system....last resort I would say.
    You could also check with the Probate Office to see if there's a will for the previous owners. I'm more familiar with much older wills in the National Archives but they do not go as far as the 1920s/30s. If a modern will was probated then it becomes public record and should be accessible. Wills were not that common until the latter half of the 20th century. In your case, where a building passes to seemingly unrelated people, it's possible there'll be a will.

Is it possible they did not actually own it but managed it?

Im starting to believe this is the case although that's not what family were led to believe- I went to the valuations office and got the relevant book - they are listed as occupiers alright but not as lessors, from what I could tell - the notations weren't particularly neat!! - a company name is given for that - Rahill Estate, just on the off chance that it rings a bell with anyone!
    So, my new avenue - I've checked online with the Companies Registry Office but there is no record of Rahill Estate - it may be that their records don't go back that far and if so, where can I find out the names of directors etc of this company?!!

I would ring the CRO and ask about older companies. They probably only have records going back so far online. Registry of Deeds might have documents to do with the foundation of the company. Try the CRO first though because the RoD is not computerised, though the staff are helpful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've been researching how to research members of the RIC and am totally confused-got names and numbers from Jim Herlihy's book but now looking for more info-so, my question is, where do I go next?

I believe the RIC records are in the UK National Archives. Ancestry has some records though:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=6087

It does say they're still working on this project so if you don't find your person, check back again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I believe the RIC records are in the UK National Archives. Ancestry has some records though:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=6087

It does say they're still working on this project so if you don't find your person, check back again.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Hi pinkypinky

My Dad has just retired and he and I have decided to research his family tree!....think he needed a project with all his spare time!

Anyway just wanted to say that I knew there would be some bright spark on boards who would have loads of information on tracing and I was right!

Its a daunting task, tracing, and you have supplied tonnes of great information and I just wanted to say "Thanks!" :)

I'm sure in time I may have a question or ten myself!:D

So, thanks again pinkypinky!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 laobhaise

thanks for link to mormon onlione database, didnt know it existed and allows you search around a few years of date, have already uncovered hidden family secrets with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

RE: http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...s;t=searchable

Having found a likely record on LDS, I now have a possible marriage , a film No. Volume No. Page No. and Image No. .....

But there are no images on the LDS site !
    Where do i go from here to see the image ie actual record......

Are they references to record in National Library of Ireland ?
    Or Can I go to my local Registration Office with this and hope to get a cert ?

A.

• Advertisement

You could read the start of the sticky!

They're index references from the GRO. Make a note of

Year
    Quarter of year (if after 1878)
    Registration district
    Volume
    Page number

After 1878, the year’s worth of births, deaths or marriages were registered and broken down by quarter (March, June, September, December). Prior to then, there’s no quarters.

So a sample record might look like this:

John Joyce
    Registration district: Oughterard (Galway)
    Year & Quarter: Jan-Mar 1885
    Estimated birth year: 1813
    Age on death: 72
    Film number: this is only relevant if you are using a Family History Centre in the LDS church
    Volume: 4
    Page: 299

Or in short hand: John Joyce, Oughterard Q1 1885 4/299
    You can go to here http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm and download the form.

The GRO website is somewhat antiquated and does not yet include online ordering but you can download the forms for ordering a birth, death and marriage cert. The form is unfortunately set up for living people ordering their own certs and not for research purposes. You’ll see that it includes PPS numbers and specific birth date, etc. What I do is put down whatever information I know and write in the “Oughterard Q1 1885 4/299” where ever there is space. I also do a cover note to explain. This form can be posted with a Euro cheque (drawn only on Irish banks) or you can put in your credit card details. It can also be faxed. I have used the fax and cc details safely several times but I realise that lots of people will not be happy with that. There are several types of cert but the relevant one for research is the cheapest €6 option. It’s a full photocopy of the registry entry.

The other way to get the cert is to go into the Research room in the Irish Life mall on Abbey St in Dublin which is a branch of the GRO. It is an expensive place so it’s best to have your references already. They have forms you can fill out with the same details as above. At a cost of €4 per cert and a limit of 5 certs a day, you can have your cert in about 10 minutes. It’s very frustrating to be limited to 5 so if you can co-opt friends to order some for you at the same time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I've re-read the whole sticky and apologise.
    I should have understood it first time :(

Thanks ..I'm clued in now :)

A.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Another way to get information for some counties is via the Irish Family History Foundation who charge 5euro for a birth/death/marriage transcript.

They are parish records though, rather than civil and transcribed by volunteers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hiya, I'm trying to look into my Grandfather's service record during the War of Independence. I've been told that he did have an IRA pension, so I'm presuming that there is a record somewhere of his service, but I have no idea how to go about finding out where the record is and how I can have a look at it.

Try the Cathal Brugha barracks - you'll have to prove your link to him. The dept of defence in Galway may have more information on him too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 States

There is a legend in my family saying that my mother's family are orginally Huguenots and I was wondering if there are any good reliable resources out there to look at for this. I've had a look online for Irish Huguenots but have not had much luck. Any guidance would be great.

I've been able to date my family back to 1860's so far using the FamilySearch site but what do I do to get older information? Is this a case of going to Irish Life mall, National Archive, parishes etc. How far do these sources go back?

Thanks

Hi States,

If you have a look at the first few posts in this thread, I've detailed how far the civil and parish registers go. To progress beyond civil registration (1864/1845 for non Catholic marriages), you will need to know a place and the religion to look at church registers, which are not perfect.

As regards Huguenots, the first thing is/was the family Protestant? Is there a French surname (as a general guideline, if the surname isn't French, it's unlikely to be Huguenot). http://www.aftc.com.au/Huguenot/Hug.html

The Huguenot Society of London has published a register for Dublin.

http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/irish-section.html
    This site links to a Mormon article on how to research Huguenots.

Good luck!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi,

While researching my Dad's family tree, we have discovered an extra sister in my Grandads family - we believe she was born with special needs and may have been put in a home of some kind - just wondering if anyone knows where I should look for more info on this? She was born in Sligo in 1912.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

I think that's going to require localised knowledge for Sligo. You could approach the Sligo family history society and ask for advice. First though, join rootschat.com and post on their sligo board for advice.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,76.0.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement