Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Festival

• 09-09-2003 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Anyone doing anything exciting?
    We have mooncakes galore at our household and we're probably going to light lanterns in honour of Sung Yee, might even attend a dinner or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

nah, mid autumn festival is not popular at all in Galway, so I think I'll be doing nothing like all the other mid autumn festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Set the whole house on fire as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

Zion - do you guys get dressed up to burn the house down too? any bangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

went to look for moon cakes today ... over €20 a box?!? that's ridiculous! i can't eat four by myself. thankfully oriental market were willing to sell me individual ones at €4.50 each.

I got mine for free, since my relations over in Hong Kong knows the Boss' wife of Wing Wah, she gave me a box for free. Nice lady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Treetypie

Oh we got loadw of moon ccakes off everybody. Only bought one box I think. hehehehe.....

We didn't do anything hat special for this festival. It's New Year that stuff happens.

The ones with the four egg yolks are the best.. hardly any lotus paste.. mmm.....

I don't like the one with egg yolks that much, the ones w/o egg yolks cost more if I remember correctly.

Hey All;

Haven't looked at this in a while but just wanted to post you about the most beautiful mooncake I've seen.

My aunt got this beautiful box of mooncakes - was in a box covered in red velvet and nice oriental sown designs of moons and cakes and inside were 12 individual different types of cakes, some lotus paste ones, some made of some weird chewy almondy type stuff and there were some with yolks, some not, like the phases of a moon.. it was truly beautiful.

Anyone else seen any weird mooncakes? Btw, anyone know what the weird almondy type mooncake is or is made of?

damn you, you made me hungry now... /me shakes fists at ezpzie :p

• Advertisement

:) mooncakes are hard to come by now too..

actually moust start a post on weird chinese delicacies...

I was addicted to beef jerky and fish sausages for years!

also, yik lik do is the original soy drink... vitasoy too sweet!

I really love yik lik do, pity you can't get it where I live, the western versions of it isn't good.

western versions??? I was lead to believe that some english supermarkets (like asda) stocked it as the original import.. that's a bit of a disapointment...

Onto more weird chinese food... anyone else like fish sausages?? now don't be shy we all have strange tastes :)

Does anyone actually eat smelly tofu?? I've heard some strange reports of ppl actually eating this.. I suppose that's why there's market stands!

Also, apparently Hong Kong these days are stocking everything premade in supermarkets! including premade soups that take hours upon hours to make (example ya say may which roughly translates to 24 tastes which is a chinese herbal soup type thing that helps with detox/pyretics if you're the cold type)

What the fish sausages called in cantonese?

Not sure.. they just look like sausages with fish meat in it.. sorry

Advertisement