Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Evelyn Cusacks forecast tonight

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I think it is about this, and I think Lumi moderation is turning sour. How does one report inappropriate moderation.

Of course if we take the thread title, then, yes, but this has evolved beyond Evelyn's last night ~ and maybe you were right to have closed it when you did.

It was hot then, it's certainly very hot now.

Evelyn discussed animals on a weather forecast and you, Lumi, ban its discussion? It IS on topic, TBH.

Red Nissan will be taking a short break from the forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I think it is about this, and I think Lumi moderation is turning sour. How does one report inappropriate moderation.

Of course if we take the thread title, then, yes, but this has evolved beyond Evelyn's last night ~ and maybe you were right to have closed it when you did.

It was hot then, it's certainly very hot now.

Evelyn discussed animals on a weather forecast and you, Lumi, ban its discussion? It IS on topic, TBH.

If you want to complain about a moderator, do it in Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Here's Cusack's attack from yesterday in case anyone missed it:

Cheers for posting. Not sure why people are calling it an "attack" though, and getting so worked up about it. Describing it as being like "an old priest in the catholic church saying we will all go to hell if we even listen to what someone else is saying" or other such things seems utterly ridiculous to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In all of the research I have done, I must admit that I have never looked at natural signs related to animals and plants. However, I am not as opposed to the concept as some of the mainstream experts seem to be. This is perhaps because I really don't know how you would study this without understanding animal behaviour and vegetation cycles. Very few people who study meteorology know very much about these fields.

Now just from basic logic, plants would be less likely than animals to exhibit signs of future weather trends. As talkabout said, vegetation responds to weather that has already happened. So the only way that vegetation could be predictive would be if certain weather patterns were correlated with other patterns. This would lead to some of the folklore signs being reliable, but without any conscious foreknowledge within the plants themselves.

As to animal behaviour being predictive, this seems a bit more plausible to me. Once again, I don't imagine that the animals are consciously responding to future knowledge, but rather are being guided by instincts that are related to atmospheric patterns or magnetic fields. If these have predictive values of any kind, then the wildlife will tend to behave in ways that appear predictive more by association than by raw logic. Example, if birds or fish come into shore before big storms, is that a logical thing for them to do, or is it forced upon them by distortions of the instinctive environment by which they are continually controlled? I would guess it is the latter.

My opinion is that we are starting to uncover various ways to predict longer range weather trends and the truth is somewhere between absolutes that you sometimes hear, such as "there is no way to do that" and "I have an infallible method." Just like the animals, it's interesting that humans in Ireland can predict future weather trends with some accuracy, especially in groups -- this is ironically shown by our forecast contests where the consensus is often more skilful than most if not all individuals. Now if the consensus was also random this would show a pointlessness to the exercise, but if the consensus is skewed towards the actual anomalies of the weather (on a monthly scale, because that's how our contests run) there would be something akin to recognition of future trends, although perhaps what's really happening is pattern recognition, how a fairly reliable starting point to a month already in view might evolve later.

These questions are all probably more complicated than you can "finish off" in a couple of minutes on TV, that's all I'm going to say but a half hour discussion might shed some light on it. I guess I'm a bit far from the studio to be of much help in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Cheers for posting. Not sure why people are calling it an "attack" though, and getting so worked up about it. Describing it as being like "an old priest in the catholic church saying we will all go to hell if we even listen to what someone else is saying" or other such things seems utterly ridiculous to me!

Have you been watching? I'd agree with you if it was just once, but this is a repeating theme with Evelyn Cusack. Say it often enough and they'll all start to believe.

Why can't she just give the weather forecast? why even worry about what others are up to? It's a free country. What does it matter what a postman says up in Donegal? He's a postman!

In previous Lectures Evelyn has said that Animal and berries can't predict the weather, that's it's all a fairy tale. You should never put all your trust in those that are certain that something isn't possible. That goes for Scientists, Priests, Politicians, Militant Atheists and now it appears some ME forecasters. None of us (that would include myself) have all the answers.

The thing here is that I would probably agree with what Evelyn says generally, just not in the way she says it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Have you been watching? I'd agree with you if it was just once, but this is a repeating theme with Evelyn Cusack. Say it often enough and they'll all start to believe.

Why can't she just give the weather forecast? why even worry about what others are up to? It's a free country. What does it matter what a postman says up in Donegal? He's a postman!

In previous Lectures Evelyn has said that Animal and berries can't predict the weather, that's it's all a fairy tale. You should never put all your trust in those that are certain that something isn't possible. That goes for Scientists, Priests, Politicians, Militant Atheists and now it appears some ME forecasters. None of us (that would include myself) have all the answers.

The thing here is that I would probably agree with what Evelyn says generally, just not in the way she says it.

Just to be clear, I used your quote as an example, the post wasn't directed at you personally.

I think it's a good thing that professional meteorologists are trying to help the population become more scientifically literate. People can easily get taken by guess work and appeals to common sense when dressed up as science, and some even pay for it.
    I'm sure if some genuine peer reviewed research came out proving a link between berries/animals and our weather, that the professional meteorologists would take it into account, but until then, it's in the same company as palmistry, astrology, psychic readings and the like.
    Referring back to a Carl Sagan quote Evelyn used a few weeks ago
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Not everybody watches each forecast, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for her to mention it a few times, especially coming up to winter when so many people issue (and charge for) long range forecasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Just to be clear, I used your quote as an example, the post wasn't directed at you personally.
    That's okay, I knew that but decent of you to say.

I think it's a good thing that professional meteorologists are trying to help the population become more scientifically literate. People can easily get taken by guess work and appeals to common sense when dressed up as science, and some even pay for it.
    I'm sure if some genuine peer reviewed research came out proving a link between berries/animals and our weather, that the professional meteorologists would take it into account, but until then, it's in the same company as palmistry, astrology, psychic readings and the like.
    Referring back to a Carl Sagan quote Evelyn used a few weeks ago
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

I'm not disagreeing with this, It's how it's presented is the issue. There appears to be a lack of understanding of the medium of Television. I'm not blaming ME or the forecasters here. It's more an RTE issue. You can't get across to the general public a message such as the one Evelyn is trying to get across using those kind of methods. Using quotes from people that the general population hasn't heard of doesn't work.

Anyone who's done basic broadcasting training knows you Keep it Simple and Stupid. Do a proper show if they want to get the message across.

They're also not setting the agenda, they're chasing it. These lectures for a better term always seem to pop up very soon after the postman or suchlike has made some sort of media appearance. They have the higher ground, they have the platform and they're not using it.

Not everybody watches each forecast, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for her to mention it a few times, especially coming up to winter when so many people issue (and charge for) long range forecasts.

Lots of people watch every forecast, especially the one's after 6 and after 9, which are still regarded as the main two of the day. I've heard comments from some that aren't into their weather like those on boards and they've noticed her comments, and she hasn't gone up in their estimation. They're the same one's that read tabloids and would never pay for a forecast and they think that she's being a bit of a bully towards certain amateurs "sure are doing no harm"

However, it was only mentioned once, and hasn't been mentioned since. Just to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/

Find Callan's Kicks on Radio one and go to 11.00.
    Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/

Find Callan's Kicks on Radio one and go to 11.00.
    Recommended.

Heard it earlier while driving, it was a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

The dog started barking at the christmas tree just now. i reckon it's going to be mild till the 28th of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

aboyro wrote: »
    The dog started barking at the christmas tree just now. i reckon it's going to be mild till the 28th of the month.

Using smoked bacon for decoration is never a good idea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement