Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lynagh Genealogy - hit a brick wall, what next?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

So I made a post on here a while ago tracing back some Lynagh's I found in Ireland to find a connection with my own family. I took that back far, then started on my own, hoping to find a link.

Anyway, I've taken my family tree back as far as I can with the information I have and have found on the internet (I tried to just follow the line back, without going off on too many tangents/siblings).

And now I've hit a brick wall, I can't find anything else and I'm not even sure if I got information correct with the generation furthest away from me.

Here's the GEDCOM file. If anyone can make sense of it, the damn thing's ugly, I made it on Ancestry.com, looks a lot cleaner on there. I was wondering if anyone can give it a look over and let me know where I should look next?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Can you post the ancestry link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 naledge

http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/15886361/family

Although I think you need to be paying with Ancestry to view it, if you can't I think I can share it with people via their Ancestry username.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

naledge wrote: »
    Anyway, I've taken my family tree back as far as I can with the information I have and have found on the internet (I tried to just follow the line back, without going off on too many tangents/siblings).

Quite often those tangents will help you out when you find census returns with lost parents living/visiting siblings that you hadn't considered investigating.

You have it back to 1812 I see. That's pretty good you know :) Which branch are you most interested in going back further?

Also I'd suggest that you fill out the people with as much info as possible. The date they got married or even where they got married; approx dates that people moved from one country to another. Fleshing it out like this can often lead you to 'seeing' something that you had noticed but hadn't taken into account. Also while names and dates are interesting, it's the facts like professions and world travels that makes it easier to connect to people who are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 naledge

Ponster wrote: »
    Quite often those tangents will help you out when you find census returns with lost parents living/visiting siblings that you hadn't considered investigating.

You have it back to 1812 I see. That's pretty good you know :) Which branch are you most interested in going back further?

Also I'd suggest that you fill out the people with as much info as possible. The date they got married or even where they got married; approx dates that people moved from one country to another. Fleshing it out like this can often lead you to 'seeing' something that you had noticed but hadn't taken into account. Also while names and dates are interesting, it's the facts like professions and world travels that makes it easier to connect to people who are long gone.

Ah I can't believe I didn't think of that haha, thank you. Well I would love to try to take it back to Turlough Lynagh, who was the tanist for the O'Neill, he adopted the name and became 'King of Tyrone'. He seemed like a very powerful guy. I'd also like to try to find the connection to IRA member Jim Lynagh. If it was possible to take it way back to the 1300's I'd like to take it back to John Leynagh, the bishop of Lismore, but I think that might be pushing it a bit.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

Advertisement