Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Jacky08 wrote: »
    Seems like I sensitive subject :D OOPS
    I take your point - I can run with or without, I know I'll hit a part of the race whereby I might struggle so music usually helps you through ..I should have indicated that or actaully searched the forum before posting;)

The less items I have, the better I suppose

There will be plenty of music on the course, and also, SPAR cheering zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    There will be plenty of music on the course, and also, SPAR cheering zones.

Aye but will the Swedish House Mafia, Sepultra and Whipping Boy all be there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

Ipods are great for training but I think using one in a race is poor etiquette. They are anti-social, can be dangerous and somewhat of an insult to everyone who has come out to cheer the runners on. I’ve no issue with people wearing them because at least it identifies all the anti-social, dangerous, insulting people!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

4 stars (good)
    In the Athlone 3/4 my splits were 1.05/1.03/1.07 with the 1.07 not being a concern given how hilly the last few miles were. As I have rested up with the taper I was thinking of heading out with the 4:15 pacers. My original plan was around 4:20 at just under 10 minutes per mile. Will being with the pacers give me the bit extra to get the 4:15 or should I stay on my own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Jimh wrote: »
    In the Athlone 3/4 my splits were 1.05/1.03/1.07 with the 1.07 not being a concern given how hilly the last few miles were. As I have rested up with the taper I was thinking of heading out with the 4:15 pacers. My original plan was around 4:20 at just under 10 minutes per mile. Will being with the pacers give me the bit extra to get the 4:15 or should I stay on my own?

There are no 4;15 pacers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    I was thinking of heading out with the 4:15 pacers.

An easy choice to make - there are no 4.15 pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    Badbark wrote: »
    Ipods are great for training but I think using one in a race is poor etiquette. They are anti-social, can be dangerous and somewhat of an insult to everyone who has come out to cheer the runners on. I’ve no issue with people wearing them because at least it identifies all the anti-social, dangerous, insulting people!:D

Do you know me :D

I've gathered from the responses that it's not the done thing ... lucky I asked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    I'm not going to revisit the debate about the safety aspects of headphones...my opinion is known here...and they're banned from any race I'm involved in organising.

However, several of the responses here suggested using them in the latter stages of the Marathon. Leaving aside all the arguments for/against, imho, that is the last place you'd want to start using headphones. That is where the going gets hard and there is nothing better than the crowd to pick you up. In general, when the spectators see someone struggling - or even going well! - they shout encouragement.

If you've got headphones on you won't hear any of this. Equally, if the crowd sees someone with headphones, they won't shout encouragement - they know, from experience (you won't be the first to pass them wearing headphones) - that you won't hear any supporting encouragement.

If you're planning to have your name on your top and run with headphones - forget it. You can't do both. You will hear your music and NOT hear the crowd, or you can either leave the headphones at home, or your name off your top.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jayok77

Condo131 wrote: »
    If you're planning to have your name on your top and run with headphones - forget it. You can't do both. You will hear your music and NOT hear the crowd, or you can either leave the headphones at home, or your name off your top.

Eh...why cant you run with just one earphone in? That way you get 50/50, it's like being at Croke Park with one ear to 'The Hill' for the atmosphere and the other ear listening to the legendary Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh for the commentary.

Personally I don't use music while racing but I wouldn't be anti-it as long as the person has it at a volume that they can hear what's going on around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just back in from 3 mile jog and felt pretty sluggish. I hope that's not a bad sign.

Nope, that's a perfectly normal sign for tapering. You'll probably still feel sluggish at the weekend, so don't worry about it. In fact, even walking to the start of the race you'll still have doubts about your ability to hold your planned marathon pace for 26 miles....but as soon as you start running, you'll realise how easy marathon pace feels. In fact, it'll probably feel too easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    jayok77 wrote: »
    ...................... I wouldn't be anti-it as long as the person has it at a volume that they can hear what's going on around them.
    For the past few years I've been part of a large crowd of supporters at, among other places, Beggar's bush ~24 miles. I have no idea whatsoever at what volume level headphones were set at, but, in spite of maybe 100 people cheering and shouting names, there was NIL reaction from anyone wearing headphones. All I can say is that they were all missing out on a big part of the atmosphere of the marathon.

...not going to say any more on this matter for the present thread.... I reckon the headphone wearers won't see ......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Well it's pretty obvious that wearing headphones will effect you hearing other sounds, but it seems that it also effects your other senses as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11525897

So who's to say that headphones don't effect your eyesight if noise has now been proven to effect your taste buds. :D

4 stars (good)
    Does that mean we should put on headphones while eating gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

robinph wrote: »
    So who's to say that headphones don't effect your eyesight if noise has now been proven to effect your taste buds. :D

Maybe that explains why people are mysteriously drawn to aesthetically challenged specimens of the opposite sex in nightclubs. Blame the loud music I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Jim

Why not stick with the 4hr pacers and see how you get on for the first few miles.....
    I ran that Athlone 3/4 and it was a very tough course,.
    Whilst I never ran the DCM marathon before, or any marathon for that matter , I talked with quite a few people after the Athlone event and everyone was in agreement that the DCM course is a hell of a lot easier "in terms of hills" than the Athlone 3/4 course...
    your total time above comes to 3.15..so with less hills , and some hard graft you might make or break 4hr marathon next Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Does that mean we should put on headphones while eating gels?

LOL! Oh dear, can Monday come soon enough at this stage ... :)

In other news, I see first serious weather forecast from Met Eireann (via another thread)
    Most parts of the country will enjoy a dry bright day for Bank Holiday Monday, but after that the weather stays quite wet for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    I heard that there was an app on facebook that allows people to follow your progress live during the marathon. Is that true? If so how does it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

I did a bit of searching for on real-time mapping on android phones and there are a few solutions available. The two main ones are instamapper [1] and sportstracklive [2]. Instamapper is completely free but the embeddable maps don't auto-refresh. For Sportstracklive you have to pay for the pro version to get the live tracking so I haven't tried that yet.
    I'm going to go with instamapper and share the link with interested friends and family.

[1] http://www.instamapper.com/
    [2] http://www.sportstracklive.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

4 stars (good)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimh viewpost.gif
    pdiddyw wrote: »
    Jim

Why not stick with the 4hr pacers and see how you get on for the first few miles.....

Whilst I never ran the DCM marathon before, or any marathon for that matter , I talked with quite a few people after the Athlone event and everyone was in agreement that the DCM course is a hell of a lot easier "in terms of hills" than the Athlone 3/4 course...

your total time above comes to 3.15..so with less hills , and some hard graft you might make or break 4hr marathon next Monday...

I'd be too scared I would burn and die - I did Newry in May and died after 16 miles and struggled home although this time I have 2 x 20' and a 22 miler under my belt. I think I will just see where I am at the 1/2 way point. I was in front of the 4 hour pacers at Athlone until Mile 14 but they finished 4 minutes in front of me so I think it would take to much out of me. I will err on the side of caution this time after all I have plenty of time to break 4 hours as I am only 50 :D and 15 /2 stone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 inea

pdiddyw wrote: »
    Jim

I am in pretty much the same boat - ran Athlone about 5 minutes faster than the 4 hour pace group (and god was it hilly!!) and can't make my mind up about pace for Monday - plan all along was to go with the 4 hour pace ballon and try and keep there for the whole thing - now starting to doubt myself whether I can! I have 2 x 19 mile and 1 x 20 mile done (at about 5.50km pace) so I suppose it is the last 6 miles that is scary!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    I did a bit of searching for on real-time mapping on android phones and there are a few solutions available. The two main ones are instamapper [1] and sportstracklive [2]. Instamapper is completely free but the embeddable maps don't auto-refresh. For Sportstracklive you have to pay for the pro version to get the live tracking so I haven't tried that yet.
    I'm going to go with instamapper and share the link with interested friends and family.

[1] http://www.instamapper.com/
    [2] http://www.sportstracklive.com/

What about Google Lattitude?

Once you can run Google maps on your phone then you can have people track you on the way round with obviously better results if your phone has GPS. Battery life may take a big hit though.

Otherwise for not carrying your phone then people should be able to see the times you pass the 10km, half way and 30km points on the tds-live site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Yep, Sokolov is back. Also, three women sub 2.30.
    Sergiu Ciobanu is just back from 5 weeks training in his native Moldova and he should be pushed all the way by Alan O'Shea. Others who should be knocking on the sub 2.20 door are Joe McAlister, Brian MacMahon, Barry Minnock and Greg Roberts.
    A good few Irish entries in the womens race who should run around 2.45.
    If I get a chance, I'll put the winners names up here on SunMonday night :)

A nice touch at the Berlin Marathon was a sign (nothing fancy - large handwritten with thick marker) with the top 5 finishers & times. One sign for men and one sign for women.
    These signs were stuck up high on a lamp post just off the finish area.
    As I said, nice touch and went that bit further for service to the customer*.

*us, the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    I heard that there was an app on facebook that allows people to follow your progress live during the marathon. Is that true? If so how does it work.
    The instamapper app that mo-bhicycle mentioned can be set up on facebook. Though you have to have either an iPhone or an Android phone (with gps) on you to do the tracking.

I just tried it out with the OH's iphone and it seems to work. Not sure about carrying the damn thing round the marathon course though. Wouldn't like it to get wet/damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Badbark wrote: »
    To run a negative split I did the following -

Raced a half marathon a few months before the marathon and inputted my time into the McMillan calculator here - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

This site gives you a time to aim for in the marathon and also the pace that which you should run. I rounded up my time slightly as I had hit the wall in previous marathons and wanted to play it safe. I then printed out a pace band from this site - http://www.tapermadness.org/paceband.html got it laminated and wore it on the day of the race. I tried staying within 5 seconds of the splits allowing a little bit here and there due to hills. With a few miles to go I dug deep and was able to increase my speed by about 20 seconds a mile to result in a negative split by about a minute.

I must point out that although the last few miles were run only 20 seconds quicker they were 10 times as difficult as the first miles! My HR over the last few miles was at my 5k race HR. Don’t expect to increase your pace by much in a marathon.
    Had never thought of wearing one of these, it definitely seems like a handy way of tracking progress and keeping on target, but my worry is it would end up being annoying after a few miles, especially if it started rubbing off my wrist! Did u have any problems wearing it on the day? Will also be wearing a garmin though, so maybe that would be pacing overload:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

sorry for posting this here but can't find a running forum.anyway is it going to be possible to drive to dublin next monday for the marathon ,i need to get a lad there who is running in it.he wants to be there well before the start .
    i'm coming from drogheda btw,
    any ideas what would be best thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

ElectraX wrote: »
    Had never thought of wearing one of these, it definitely seems like a handy way of tracking progress and keeping on target, but my worry is it would end up being annoying after a few miles, especially if it started rubbing off my wrist! Did u have any problems wearing it on the day? Will also be wearing a garmin though, so maybe that would be pacing overload:D

If it's annoying you just rip it off and ditch it. It's a handy tool to have with the Garmin, using the Garmin for rough pace and the paceband for accurate timing at the mile markers.

4 stars (good)
    The paceband is just a piece of paper covered in sellotape, so easy enough to take off if it starts getting annoying. And I don't think you'd be annoyed anyway.

The trouble with the Garmin is that you won't run the exact race line, so you'll reach 26.2 on the Garmin before you reach the finish. If you wear a pace band, you can check it at every mile, and see how far up or down you really are against your target pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Down the M1, onto the M50, take the Blanchardstown (N3) exit, head towards the city, you'll hit the Halfway House roundabout, turn right there then head into the Phoenix Park, down Chesterfield Ave., onto Parkgate St., down the quays, drop him there and he's only 1km from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It should be OK, just getting near the start are will be an issue.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/news.php?article=325
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

happygoose wrote: »
    Down the M1, onto the M50, take the Blanchardstown (N3) exit, head towards the city, you'll hit the Halfway House roundabout, turn right there then head into the Phoenix Park, down Chesterfield Ave., onto Parkgate St., down the quays, drop him there and he's only 1km from the start.

Won't there be restrictions on most of the route you mention or do they not start till much later ?

Advertisement