Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Time|Name|Comments|Actual|
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    Sub 2:35|Heffsarmy|Anything faster will be a bonus, first time running Dublin
    Sub 2:45|Tunguska|Beat last years time
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2.55|Timmaay|1st Marathon, and I'm only just back from breaking my shoulderblade so this will be fun!
    2:59:59|Elfoyzer|3:29 p.b (2008) but disappointing DCM last year following IM Switzerland, just know I can run better than that!
    2:59:59|Bloody Nipples|4th Marathon, ran 3:15 in Cork, hopefully knock 15-20 mins off by increasing the mileage|
    2:59:xx|donothoponpop|Third (time lucky) Dublin, will hold onto the pace group for as long as I can!|

Sub 3.15|||
    3.03|earlyevening|Just want to edge a little better than last year's 3:07|
    3:14:59| Bart simpson|2nd marathon, PB is 3:29:14 in DCM09
    3:14:59|NeedsTraining|6th marathon, first Dublin. Would like to break 3:10 but don't think it is possible for me this year|
    3:15|Condo131|20th Marathon, 1st since Dub '03. Hope to make Boston M55 (3:45) May adjust target down|
    3:15|MaroonTam|1st Marathon. Its a Push but training for it (might end up 3:20)|
    3:15 |Potsy11 |5 Marathon. Ran 3.27 last year. Got onto training a bit late so hope to be in better condition|
    3:14:50|Krusty_Clown|3:15 Pacer (Provisional - pending approval and non-injury)

Sub 3:30|||
    3.19.59|Diggy78|Might be ambitious trying to shave 5 mins off last year but why try to break 3:22, smile.gif|
    3:27:29 |Sharktale | 9th Marathon, Ran 3:45 Barcelona '10, Hoping for the best |
    3:29:59 |Cartman78 | 4th Marathon, Ran 3:45 in GLR in May taking it very easy. Hoping that more mileage + more effort on the day = Sub 3:30|
    sub 3:30|SUNGOD| after over 12 months of injuries i just need a target race
    sub 3:30|kingQuez| 3rd Marathon, PB is 3:30:05
    3:29:59|Plodder|5th marathon, previous best 3:53. Training harder now
    3:29:59|Mr Marenghi|2nd Dublin marathon, training a lot harder and i think a bit more intelligently, would love to go sub 3.30
    3:29:59|menoscemo| 2nd DCM 4:15 to 3:30 is a big ask but training is much better. Hope to beat the course this time.|
    3:29:59|Peckham| Hopefully will be doing the 3:30 pace group, so looking forward to cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)|
    3:29:59|TFBubendorfer| Hopefully will be the other quarter of the same pace group and looking forward to seeing Peckham cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)||||
    3:29:59|RedB|3rd DCM. 4:50 last year but ran 3:58 in GLR and hope to increase the mileage and intensity. In for a penny......|
    |||
    Sub 3:45|||
    3.3x|BrokenMan|First time out and its probably ambitious.Going to go for it anyway|
    3.40|Doledude86|2nd Dublin Marathon went 3:56 last year would like to go 3:40 this year|
    3:4X|sarsfieldsrock|Be the best I can!|
    3:44:59| Louthandproud| Setting an ambitious target after finishing in 4:12 last year, feel I can achieve if I get the training done |
    3:45|itsalltrue|there we go|
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3.55|RayCun|First time out, so not too ambitious (I hope)|
    3.59.59|Hawkwing|3rd marathon, 3rd Dublin, sub-4 or die trying :o|
    3.59.59|Rainbow Kirby|2nd marathon, 2nd Dublin, would like to go sub-4|
    3:50|digger2d2|First and maybe last so definitely need to break 4 hrs|
    3.55|curraghyid|first marathon but i reckon acheivable withthe right training|
    3.59|ElectraX|first marathon so thats my dream time|
    3.59|RubyK| a first-timer, 3.59.59 would make my year ;)|
    3.59|ROFno1| First-timer as well so 3.59.59 would be great. But just to finish will be a great achievement|
    3.59|MitreSize5|First marathon, would be delighted with anything under 4
    3.59|opus|Running with a friend to provide moral support, will try to get us round in under 4|
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29:59|Brophya2007|First Marathon all going well, Sub 4:30 would be nice|
    4.2?:??|Racheljev|Crap time last year so want a 4 something time this year!|
    4:15:00|rovers_runner|Halfway between my "potential" from 5k/10k and my most recent time|

Going for a Finish|||
    4:30 to 5:00|Meathcountysec|First Only Marathon ever, just want to run all the way|
    N/A|Puck|First marathon, I don't care about time.

4 stars (good)
    Added a sub 3.45 group, since there's a pace group for that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    Entry fee goes up from 17:00 on Sunday next, €70 (€75.60 inc Active Europe fee) to €80 (€86.40).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

3 stars (average)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Entry fee goes up from 17:00 on Sunday next, €70 (€75.60 inc Active Europe fee) to €80 (€86.40).

You can always just email them & ask for an entry form to be posted out to save that extra fee from Active Europe. The email address is office@dublinmarathon.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

2 stars (poor)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2.55|Timmaay|1st Marathon, and I'm only just back from breaking my shoulderblade so this will be fun!
    2:59:59|Elfoyzer|3:29 p.b (2008) but disappointing DCM last year following IM Switzerland, just know I can run better than that!
    2:59:59|Bloody Nipples|4th Marathon, ran 3:15 in Cork, hopefully knock 15-20 mins off by increasing the mileage|
    2:59:xx|donothoponpop|Third (time lucky) Dublin, will hold onto the pace group for as long as I can!|

Sub 3.15|||
    3:14:59|NeedsTraining|6th marathon, first Dublin. Would like to break 3:10 but don't think it is possible for me this year|
    3:15|Condo131|20th Marathon, 1st since Dub '03. Hope to make Boston M55 (3:45) May adjust target down|
    3:15|MaroonTam|1st Marathon. Its a Push but training for it (might end up 3:20)|
    3:15 |Potsy11 |5 Marathon. Ran 3.27 last year. Got onto training a bit late so hope to be in better condition|
    3:14:50|Rebelrunner|4th marathon & would be delighted to break ambitious 3.15.

3.19.59|Diggy78|Might be ambitious trying to shave 5 mins off last year but why try to break 3:22, smile.gif|
    3:27:29 |Sharktale | 9th Marathon, Ran 3:45 Barcelona '10, Hoping for the best |
    3:29:59 |Cartman78 | 4th Marathon, Ran 3:45 in GLR in May taking it very easy. Hoping that more mileage + more effort on the day = Sub 3:30|
    3:29:59|Mr Marenghi|2nd Dublin marathon, training a lot harder and i think a bit more intelligently, would love to go sub 3.30
    3:29:59|menoscemo| 2nd DCM 4:15 to 3:30 is a big ask but training is much better. Hope to beat the course this time.|
    3:29:59|Peckham| Hopefully will be doing the 3:30 pace group, so looking forward to cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)|
    3:29:59|TFBubendorfer| Hopefully will be the other quarter of the same pace group and looking forward to seeing Peckham cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)||||
    3:29:59|RedB|3rd DCM. 4:50 last year but ran 3:58 in GLR and hope to increase the mileage and intensity. In for a penny......|
    |||
    3.3x|BrokenMan|First time out and its probably ambitious.Going to go for it anyway|
    3.40|Doledude86|2nd Dublin Marathon went 3:56 last year would like to go 3:40 this year|
    3:44:59| Louthandproud| Setting an ambitious target after finishing in 4:12 last year, feel I can achieve if I get the training done |
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3.59|ROFno1| First-timer as well so 3.59.59 would be great. But just to finish will be a great achievement|
    3.59|opus|Running with a friend to provide moral support, will try to get us round in under 4|
    Sub 4.30|||
    4:15:00|rovers_runner|Halfway between my "potential" from 5k/10k and my most recent time|

Going for a Finish|||
    4:30 to 5:00|Meathcountysec|First Only Marathon ever, just want to run all the way|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)
    Ran Dublin last year for the 1st time and hoping to do so again in October.

Overall it was a great experience but I got caught out badly with the following:

1: The hill from Chapelizod to Inchicore knocked the stuffing completely out of me. I'd never been on that road before and badly underestimated the incline. It took me a number of miles to recover. Found the other hills ok.

2: For anyone who has'nt run Dublin before I strongly suggest u experiment with Club Energiser on some of ur LSR's. I found it very sweet and heavy. Its not like powerade or gatorade and in my oponion wont agree with all. ( it defo did'nt agree with me !!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

liamo123 wrote: »

2: For anyone who has'nt run Dublin before I strongly suggest u experiment with Club Energiser on some of ur LSR's. I found it very sweet and heavy. Its not like powerade or gatorade and in my oponion wont agree with all. ( it defo did'nt agree with me !!! )

Thanks - that was one of the many questions I have been gathering ! That's the standard sports drink at all stops. Since we are on the subject - are they still giving out water in bottles or have they switched to cups ?

And also .... *slighly worried* why are the 3.30 pacers so into whip cracking - I want my pacers soothing, reassuring and inspirational ! At worst a "good cop/bad cop" deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Added a sub 3.45 group, since there's a pace group for that time

You tempted to revise downwards RayCun?

3 stars (average)
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Thanks - that was one of the many questions I have been gathering ! That's the standard sports drink at all stops. Since we are on the subject - are they still giving out water in bottles or have they switched to cups ?

And also .... *slighly worried* why are the 3.30 pacers so into whip cracking - I want my pacers soothing, reassuring and inspirational ! At worst a "good cop/bad cop" deal.

Last year they gave out water is bottles which was great so hopefully they wont change this..

Pacers seem to b very well organised this year. I think there's 4 pacers per time allotment.

My advice for what its worth is to get as near as possible to ur pacer at the start which is not as easy as it seems!! During marathon stay as close to them as u can.. Chances are at some stage ul go through a bad patch (it happens us all).. if u have to ease off try and stay within visual contact of ur pacers and when ur feeling better ( which will happen too) slowly reattach urself to them..

Piece of cake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I paced 3.30 last year so I dont understand your comment. I know what its like to be struggling so whip cracking aint my thing. If i see anyone easing off I will give him any help i can.
    I would like you to explain hte comment out of interest and maybe i might learn.
    Now the last 800metres is differnt. If i can get a runner over the line in sub 3.30 I will use anything I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

liamo123 wrote: »
    Last year they gave out water is bottles which was great so hopefully they wont change this..

Pacers seem to b very well organised this year. I think there's 4 pacers per time allotment.

My advice for what its worth is to get as near as possible to ur pacer at the start which is not as easy as it seems!! During marathon stay as close to them as u can.. Chances are at some stage ul go through a bad patch (it happens us all).. if u have to ease off try and stay within visual contact of ur pacers and when ur feeling better ( which will happen too) slowly reattach urself to them..

Piece of cake!!!

I thought pacers were organised well last year too as boards didnt organise the sub 3.
    I would be standing 20 yds back and ease up to them. That way you know your watch is behind them. The baloons the we had(or not) couldnt be missed.

I paced 3.30 last year so I dont understand your comment. I know what its like to be struggling so whip cracking aint my thing. If i see anyone easing off I will give him any help i can.
    I would like you to explain hte comment out of interest and maybe i might learn.
    Now the last 800metres is differnt. If i can get a runner over the line in sub 3.30 I will use anything I can.

Sorry - I was kidding around - I may have needed a smiley. I was just referring to the comments in the target table above. I did not run Dublin last year.

4 stars (good)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    You tempted to revise downwards RayCun?

vade retro, satana

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Peckham

Let me assure all that my whip cracking comment was meant in jest. I've struggled in marathons before and the last thing I'd want is some short guy thinking he's a US Army General and shouting in my ear!

I can remember in one marathon when I was tight to making my sub-3 target and some guy I knew shouting at me coming down Pearse Street telling me to up the pace a bit. I suggested he should try the marathon himself and see how it feels.....although in a particularly impolite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

First timer as well and hoping to stay with the 4 hours pacer

my question is how do the pacers pace the race - is it 42kms at approx 5.35-5.40km/hr or is there a build in pace along the way etc....

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    mitresize5 wrote: »
    First timer as well and hoping to stay with the 4 hours pacer

my question is how do the pacers pace the race - is it 42kms at approx 5.35-5.40km/hr or is there a build in pace along the way etc....

thanks

Pacers (for every group) will endevour to run even mile splits throughout the race. More specifically, they will hit the same 5k splits throughout, as individual miles may be affected by congestion, etc. The idea is very much to run an even-paced race throughout. They'll be aware of any uphills/downhills, and will pace accordingly, but Dublin is flat enough so there won't be any major difference 5k splits.

Bottom line, let them do the math work for you. They are all experienced marathon runners, who know the best way to run a steady race. Stick with the pacers, and you'll hit your goal time. If you are still with them at 20 miles, and feel good, start to up the pace a bit yourself, and run on ahead of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2:59:xx|misty floyd|2nd Dublin, last year was a disaster. 3:00:30 in April in Rotterdam but gone down hill hard since then. 12 weeks to get back to fitness and a little fitter again ;). 100% effort|

Sub 3.15|||

|||
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    Sub 4.30|||

Going for a Finish|||

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    Sorry - I was kidding around - I may have needed a smiley. I was just referring to the comments in the target table above. I did not run Dublin last year.
    We carry out a head-count before the start of the race, and then again at every mile marker. If we find that the count is down, then we send sergeant major village runner back to round up the stragglers. If you miss the count for two consecutive mile markers? You'd better start running backwards... :D

We're just there to help with the pacing, and hopefully have some fun at the same time (we'll probably have more fun than you though :)). There won't be any shouting*. Hopefully everyone will stick with the pacers as long as they can, but if they feel the need to drop off the pace, or pick it up and push forward, then so be it. It's your race and you've got to run it your way.

* Until we get 300m from the finish line. Then there will be screaming, fist-shaking and gnashing of teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

|||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2:59:xx|misty floyd|2nd Dublin, last year was a disaster. 3:00:30 in April in Rotterdam but gone down hill hard since then. 12 weeks to get back to fitness and a little fitter again ;). 100% effort|

Sub 3.15|||

|||
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3:59|shotgunmcos| Pacer. Will be crossing the line in 3:59 (chip not clock) folks so either finish with us or sprint ahead of us in the last mile to get your sub 4 ;)|
    Sub 4.30|||

Going for a Finish|||

3 stars (average)
    I thought pacers were organised well last year too as boards didnt organise the sub 3.
    I would be standing 20 yds back and ease up to them. That way you know your watch is behind them. The baloons the we had(or not) couldnt be missed.

Village I agree pacers were great last year... It must have been u I was following on the sly last year...I finished in 326 tks to ur assistance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    vade retro, satana

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

2 stars (poor)
    I'm hoping to stick with 3.15 pacers this year. I did DCM09 and CCM10.
    I kepth a gauging eye on pacers in DCM09, but didn't follow them closely.
    I stuck close to pacers in CCM10 and found them excellent.
    I have 2 comments/suggestions.

In DCM09 some of the pacers (mainly 3.45) started at the front, far ahead of the 3.30 barrier so it took ~5miles before I caught up to them. Are the pacers going to start in the alocated time area?

I know last year the pacers had a huge balloon, if they are going to have a smaller balloon this year, will they have a sign above the crowd?
    In CCM10 the pacers had a small ballon which was perfect during the race, but at the start in the wet & windy weather was not easy to find with the crowd.

4 stars (good)
    I'm hoping to stick with 3.15 pacers this year. I did DCM09 and CCM10.
    I kepth a gauging eye on pacers in DCM09, but didn't follow them closely.
    I stuck close to pacers in CCM10 and found them excellent.
    I have 2 comments/suggestions.

In DCM09 some of the pacers (mainly 3.45) started at the front, far ahead of the 3.30 barrier so it took ~5miles before I caught up to them. Are the pacers going to start in the alocated time area?

I know last year the pacers had a huge balloon, if they are going to have a smaller balloon this year, will they have a sign above the crowd?
    In CCM10 the pacers had a small ballon which was perfect during the race, but at the start in the wet & windy weather was not easy to find with the crowd.

DM09 was the first time pacers were used, so the few things we can do better will be fixed in 2010. Yes, better positioning of pacers at the start will be looked at this year. Its something we've subsequentialy done in other events.
    Not sure about the balloons at this stage. The large balloons are great for visibility, and make it easy for pacees to see where the pacers are. However, everyone said they're a pain in the ass to lug around for 26 miles, (to say nothing if its a windy day). Smaller balloons work well in smaller events, but might be lost in Dublin. So its to be decided at this stage.

I paced 3.30 last year so I dont understand your comment.
    Peckham wrote: »
    Let me assure all that my whip cracking comment was meant in jest.
    . Hopefully everyone will stick with the pacers as long as they can, but if they feel the need to drop off the pace, or pick it up and push forward, then so be it. It's your race and you've got to run it your way..

I seem to have put my foot in it. Just to be clear - my original comment was also meant in jest. I guess it did not come over like one. Folks who pace runs deserve nothing but thanks, but agreed everyone is responsible for their own race.

3 stars (average)
    I seem to have put my foot in it. Just to be clear - my original comment was also meant in jest. I guess it did not come over like one. Folks who pace runs deserve nothing but thanks, but agreed everyone is responsible for their own race.
    It's too late. No takey-backs. We've put you down as the three hour pacer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    DM09 was the first time pacers were used, .........
    Nope!
    Pacers were certainly used in Dublin before. Sometime 1994-2002, unsure of years. The pacers each got about £IR200 worth of gear - a lot then. One of the pacers, 3:30??, went off like a scalded cat :eek::eek: and came in sub 2:45! :eek::eek:. Maybe that's why the pacers got dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

4 stars (good)

pgmcpq, what you need to understand about KC and VR is that they are a pair of sensitive souls with advanced inferiority complexes - they only pace in the faint hope that there may be some praise and thanks offered for their endeavours. I believe it is against their therapists' advice, but they do it anyway.

3 stars (average)
    lecheile wrote: »
    KC has an advanced inferiority complex
    That's a good thing, right? That's a compliment? You, with your book-smarts, and your fancy-schmantzy big words. :cool:

4 stars (good)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Nope!
    Pacers were certainly used in Dublin before. Sometime 1994-2002, unsure of years. The pacers each got about £IR200 worth of gear - a lot then. One of the pacers, 3:30??, went off like a scalded cat :eek::eek: and came in sub 2:45! :eek::eek:. Maybe that's why the pacers got dropped?

Fair enough, but I meant first time Boards pacers had been used, in that the learning curve will have sharpened for this year.

Do you happen to know how they distinguished themselves back then? Big helium balloons, or some other device?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Smaller balloons work well in smaller events, but might be lost in Dublin
    Run Paris Marathon (38,000 runners!) last year and they used smaller balloons. I think they had at least 4 or 6 pacers per group, defining the target-time area.

Advertisement