Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uses for rifle/ round count

Options
  • 13-01-2019 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I know I've been throwing a few questions at you guys the past few days but I'm a complete novice so please excuse me. I'm going to be filling in my fca1 either tomorrow or tuesday and have a few questions on it. It is asking for how many rounds I wish to use in a given year. What would be a reasonable amount to request for ? It's a 30 calibre rifle if that helps. Which leads me on to the uses of the rifle. I've been advised to put down varminting on the licence because it will be easiest to apply for but is that reasonable for 30 cal ? I would like to use it as a dear rifle in future, will I be allowed to apply to use if as a dear rifle later down the line ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Not to give a smart answer but whatever you want the gun for is your reason. If its hunting put in hunting, target shooting put that in, they will look for proof of either.
    If you use it for hunting 200rds will probably do you.
    If target shooting 500rds as a minimum, but this depends on how often you plan on shooting.
    Dont put down your reason as varminting because you have been told to, put down a legitimate reason or else its fraudulent application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Its not asking how many rounds you will use a year, its how many rounds you will be allowed to have at any given time. I always put 1000 down regardless

You will probably need a deer license or range membership for a 30 cal though. What calibre is it your buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

As you have stated in the other thread its a 3030 so you need a minimum of 200 rounds if you are going to be ordering stuff in yourself.
    I would write that down on the application that you will have to order rounds in specifically for it because no one has one and you will have to buy a case at a time. I had 750 on mine i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

brugmand wrote: »
    Hi guys, I know I've been throwing a few questions at you guys the past few days but I'm a complete novice so please excuse me. I'm going to be filling in my fca1 either tomorrow or tuesday and have a few questions on it. It is asking for how many rounds I wish to use in a given year. What would be a reasonable amount to request for ? It's a 30 calibre rifle if that helps. Which leads me on to the uses of the rifle. I've been advised to put down varminting on the licence because it will be easiest to apply for but is that reasonable for 30 cal ? I would like to use it as a dear rifle in future, will I be allowed to apply to use if as a dear rifle later down the line ?

Thanks

You won’t get a 30 cal rifle unless it’s for deer hunting with a deer licence or if for target shooting you’ll have to show membership of a target shooting range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As in previous replies,..

The ammo amount is for the maximum you may hold at any one time (including empty brass). So if you shoot all your ammo in one day you can purchase the same, same again.

Unfortunately as the average application goes, you'll need a valid reason for the rifle and at .30 cal that's usually target shooting, requiring bona fide range membership, or deer hunting which requires you to have a valid deer hunting liecnce, which in turn requires you to have land permission that will pass muster with the NPWS.

If your heart is set on a 30-30 then nothing will stop you from achieving your goal once you meet the requirements of the licencing system. But there are more suitable options, firearms and calibre wise, for you out there then a 30-30.
    I don't know your circumstances and the prerequisites of the licencing system may not be a challenge to you, but Have you looked at .223 as this is a more suitable pest control calibre, if you discuss things with your FO, you might get a .243, not unheard of, without range membership or deer hunting licence. Even if you opt for the .223 your opening the world of rifle shooting up to yourself and you may end up like many here as a "gun junkie' owning various calibres and all sorts of firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭brugmand

As in previous replies,..

The ammo amount is for the maximum you may hold at any one time (including empty brass). So if you shoot all your ammo in one day you can purchase the same, same again.

Unfortunately as the average application goes, you'll need a valid reason for the rifle and at .30 cal that's usually target shooting, requiring bona fide range membership, or deer hunting which requires you to have a valid deer hunting liecnce, which in turn requires you to have land permission that will pass muster with the NPWS.

If your heart is set on a 30-30 then nothing will stop you from achieving your goal once you meet the requirements of the licencing system. But there are more suitable options, firearms and calibre wise, for you out there then a 30-30.
    I don't know your circumstances and the prerequisites of the licencing system may not be a challenge to you, but Have you looked at .223 as this is a more suitable pest control calibre, if you discuss things with your FO, you might get a .243, not unheard of, without range membership or deer hunting licence. Even if you opt for the .223 your opening the world of rifle shooting up to yourself and you may end up like many here as a "gun junkie' owning various calibres and all sorts of firearms.

Unfortunately the rifle I was after was only available in 30-30 or restricted calibres like 357,38 special and so on so the 30-30 made most sense to me. The main reason I want the rifle is because I have a large interest in firearms and wanted to get my first real one after collecting airsoft for many years. The pest control thing was mainly as a reason to justify owning one as I don't think the local super would like me saying I want one because they're cool. And because I thought buying a range membership was an added cost I may not be able to afford. (I'm currently going through the leaving certificate so I don't have much time for working)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Personally I would get a .22lr to get started, far cheaper to feed and depending on your area probably easier to licence if its your first application.
    If your heart is set on a 30 30, you will need a legitimate reason. If you want to C/F a .223 is very versatile and a good range of ammo is available.

I was very much considering 22lr but I figured I would not be shoroting very much at all so ammunition cost wouldn't bother me a huge amount.

Have you your land permissions shorted?, unless you go down the range membership route you at least have to have land permission.

Is it a lever action your after? If so there are .22 versions of this type of action to be found..

I know I'll get flack for this but just in my own opinion your reaching far for your first application. Technically your quite entitled to apply for what ever gun you want once you meet the requirements but a restricted firearm on your first application and presumably a young age may go against you, especially if your not using it at a range / formal competition.
    I don't mean to sound condescending but this is far from airsoft and may not be your best way into owning firearms. If your refused your application you'll have to either drop your application and if you reapply you need to inform the guards that you were previously refused a application or you can fight the refusal in court, if you have the time and money.

Have you your land permissions shorted?, unless you go down the range membership route you at least have to have land permission.

Is it a lever action your after? If so there are .22 versions of this type of action to be found..

I know I'll get flack for this but just in my own opinion your reaching far for your first application. Technically your quite entitled to apply for what ever gun you want once you meet the requirements but a restricted firearm on your first application and presumably a young age may go against you, especially if your not using it at a range / formal competition.
    I don't mean to sound condescending but this is far from airsoft and may not be your best way into owning firearms. If your refused your application you'll have to either drop your application and if you reapply you need to inform the guards that you were previously refused a application or you can fight the refusal in court, if you have the time and money.

I do have land permission. I was under the impression that 30-30 was unrestricted ? I understand that this is far from airsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I second what has been said above it’s the harsh reality that you need either
    A-land with plenty of acreage to justify having a gun that in turn requires signed letters from land owners
    B-membership of a Gun club
    C-membership of a rifle/shooting range
    D-not essential but I’d recommend completing a decent safety course in firearms too
    I to have a very expensive passion with firearms but I realised that just liking them is not a just reason to own them you have to have a fondness for hunting/vermin control or target shooting I’ve interest in all of the above!
    As has been said real live firing rifles demand serious respect and are a different world to airsoft Guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

What are you planning on hunting,how much land do you have to hunt,have you ever shot a firearm(rifle or shotgun) before.I have 2 22lr rifles and am licenced on my father's shotgun.I have 500 each for the 22s and 100 for shotgun but I just use my guns for hunting.Im changing 1 22 for a 223 this year as I'm going to do some foxing.As a lad I shoot with has a 223 I've had a chance to see it in action and shoot it and realistically it's a super round for most hunting people do except deer.I may be wrong but I'd say your FO might say something similar and might even advise to start at 22lr unless like others have said are after deer or shooting at a range,anyway good luck with application.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has the OP said what actual model he's looking at?

If coming from the RIF side the "Idunlikethelookothat" clause and instant no from the CS might put poor Dylan here in for a rude awakening.

I do have land permission. I was under the impression that 30-30 was unrestricted ? I understand that this is far from airsoft.

My apologies, you are correct as to the 30-30 not being a restricted firearm. I had it in my head as to it being a pistol round.
    But regardless as to its status it will be a hard ammunition to purchase due to it unpopularity here. Unfortunately the licencing system here doesn't afford us to own firearms just for the sake of it and a just reason will be needed and be prepared to pass an acid test with the local Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

You have a large interest in firearms, but you want one that you don't intend to use for deer shooting (yet) or on a range? So you're gonna lie on the application? What are you gonna do with it? just show it off?

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Put in for 500 rounds.It's the EU default round number per gun these days.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Out of curiosity, have you met with the FO yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Can't see this going well..

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Thanks
    Unfortunately the rifle I was after was only available in 30-30 or restricted calibres like 357,38 special and so on so the 30-30 made most sense to me. The main reason I want the rifle is because I have a large interest in firearms and wanted to get my first real one after collecting airsoft for many years. The pest control thing was mainly as a reason to justify owning one as I don't think the local super would like me saying I want one because they're cool. And because I thought buying a range membership was an added cost I may not be able to afford. (I'm currently going through the leaving certificate so I don't have much time for working)

Right ill try my best to answer your questions , the usual process is you apply for a deer licence and use said licence as the justification for your application.
    A deer licence is free but you need a minimum of 100 acres of land(where there are deer:pac:) you apply to the NWPS with the serial number of a rifle which is deer legal the 30-30 barely meets this limit due to its low ft/lb energy, land owner permission including the folio numbers of the land in which you will be hunting
    My next point lad you said your putting down varminting as justification for the licence.. with no intent of doing such this is illegal your putting down intentionally misleading information on a firearms application
    A firearm is not a airsoft gun everytime you go out shooting you have a responsibility on your shoulders for yourself and everyone around you and you should not take that responsibility lightly, are you buying this rifle for the sake of having it or to actually use it? if its for the sake of having it rethink it lad
    My advice buy a .22lr then move on if you want to continue on with this sport its how i did it i got a full licence my .22 as soon as i turned 16 and a couple of months later i bought a 308 for deer shooting just before the 2017 season.
    Have you or any family member any firearms experience at all? i bought a .308 at 16 which many lads who shoot(mainly s/s and o/u type lads) told me i was too young for but i had been going deer hunting for many years previous doing all the nice fun jobs(gralloching skinning dragging etc..) perhaps it would be best for you to do your "apprenticeship" of shooting and hunting if you have no experience. buy a .22 shoot rabbits their great practice for cleaning and skinning find someone who could bring you out and teach you how to hunt etc..

My last point are you buying this rifle simply because you think its cool or something? you seem to only have an interest in lever guns grand we all have our own tastes but you could get a lever action in .22 which would make much more sense for a newbie you can do much more with a .22 than you can a 30-30. If you have no intention whatsoever of using this rifle dont buy it and dont apply for a licence imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

if its a lever gun plenty to choose from in .22. henry, marlin and the browning blr. henry golden boy is lovely imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I know that things are probably diiferent in Ireland both geographically and topograhically-speaking, but although the 30-30 is immensely popular in North America, it is due to the handiness of that kind of firearm that mostly uses this old calibre, and the countryside in which it is used. In my experience and that of everybody I know who has one 'over there', its use is limited to around 100 yards or less, in brush, where the round-nose soft-point bullet is most effective on soft-skinned game of Whitetail size - 150 - 250 pounds.

IMO, for a fun-gun it's a mighty expensive way of undertaking any close-range target shooting, when most lever-action guns shoot .38Spec/.357Mag ammunition at maybe a third of the price.

We've had a Marlin Model 39 since the late 1950's - in .22LR - and have yet to break a single component.

tac foley wrote: »
    I know that things are probably diiferent in Ireland both geographically and topograhically-speaking, but although the 30-30 is immensely popular in North America, it is due to the handiness of that kind of firearm that mostly uses this old calibre, and the countryside in which it is used. In my experience and that of everybody I know who has one 'over there', its use is limited to around 100 yards or less, in brush, where the round-nose soft-point bullet is most effective on soft-skinned game of Whitetail size - 150 - 250 pounds.

IMO, for a fun-gun it's a mighty expensive way of undertaking any close-range target shooting, when most lever-action guns shoot .38Spec/.357Mag ammunition at maybe a third of the price.

We've had a Marlin Model 39 since the late 1950's - in .22LR - and have yet to break a single component.

Hornady leverlution really upped the 30-30s capability im dure youve seen them they have a flexiple tip to you can use spitzer type bullets safety
    I saw one of those marlin .22s in a rfd a while back one of the loveliest .22s ive seen, my father had a henry .22 magnum lever gun years ago and it wasnt half the rifle:D

Yup, you're right. Hopefully, this spiffy new ammunition will be available in Ireland. Bearing in mind how rare even the usual stuff seems to be...

tac foley wrote: »
    Yup, you're right. Hopefully, this spiffy new ammunition will be available in Ireland. Bearing in mind how rare even the usual stuff seems to be...

Juice1304 posted earlier that he got it in 160gr when he had a 30-30 so I assumed it could be got again tac. If your ordering in ammo you could get it anyway as it's available in the UK and Europe

That's good news, then. The use of .30-30 here on mainland GB is almost unheard of, given that lever-action guns are as popular as a f*rt in an elevator among the deer-stalking fraternity. I know of only one in our club of over 420 members - that's a 1903 Savage Model 99 used for vintage rifle shoots at representative deer targets.

Advertisement