Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Former top housing official claims homelessness in Ireland is 'normal'

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anyone?

I'll give you my reason FG had a golden opportunity in 2011 when the population was traumatized from the crash to change the crap that has gone on in this country for decades, what did they do?.. nothing the status quo prevailed whilst looking after their friends. They are now being propped up by the very crew they accused of driving the country to the cliff edge. They could have reformed the way this country is governed and run, they wasted the chance. That's my hate of FG, a golden opportunity wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I'll give you my reason FG had a golden opportunity in 2011 when the population was traumatized from the crash to change the crap that has gone on in this country for decades, what did they do?.. nothing the status quo prevailed whilst looking after their friends. They are now being propped up by the very crew they accused of driving the country to the cliff edge. They could have reformed the way this country is governed and run, they wasted the chance. That's my hate of FG, a golden opportunity wasted.

What could they have changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

You're talking crap Christy. Show me one thing I made up? A housing crisis and vulture funds making off of it is a conspiracy theory is it?
    You're one of a tiny cohort that barrel in to defend the blue shirts pretending to have a point, go on with yourself ;)

One thing you made up? I had a quick look back through my posts where I engaged with you, one thing a couple of months back where you brought up about the FF and FG agreement and then bizarrely tried to claim you didn't. I'd have a guess that there are more recent examples if I looked.

Nonsense about the states main interest being big business and citizens coming second (not sure of the correct soundbite) I would classify as a conspiracy theory.

And I've said before that I'll defend FG as best of a bad lot, you haven't exactly exposed me.

As I said I ain't engaging with a blinkered loyal party supporter.

As I said I ain't engaging with a blinkered loyal party supporter.

Haha unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

I thought leo said he was gonna cull all the quangos - havent seen any sign.
    Reward those that get up early in the morning - maybe he meant in the next term!
    Brought insurance payouts back to reality n therefore insurance premiums - still waiting!
    Tax cuts n increase in spending to be 50/50 - haha!
    He's good in front of the camera - that'll have to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I wouldn't have even contemplated voting FG pre 2016 and I don't think they're perfect but I genuinely would like someone to give a solid reason - without reference to fascists from the 1930s or any of the other bandwagon bluster - why they are so terrible, and why Leo is so awful and Enda was so awful.

It is something I really would like to see.

Record break homeless, worse year on year.
    Housing crisis.
    Health crisis.
    Irish Water quango 'jobs for our own'.
    Reilly's clinic allocations.
    Applauding Vulture funds for being better at business than the banks we bailed out.
    All while we've high employment and seemingly a growing economy. Something not adding up.

Varadkar's childish all mouth no trousers spin. His department of spin.
    Kenny told lies, amusing lies, but still. He didn't quite 'end the scandal of hospital trolleys'.

Partnering up with Fianna Fail to keep their bums on seats. No ethics.

Most of all choosing to continue the way we did business, despite promises to the contrary. A waster opportunity to make the system better. Well at least the got ethnic status for themselves. Called Travelers now though.

This is the part were you say, 'sure what would Sinn Fein do' or something. You asked. I answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

"This is the part..." - what? Yeah of course you answered when I asked. :confused:

Anyway, the economy has greatly improved since 2011, same-sex marriage, abortion rights... the homelessness crisis is due to the recession. It was not caused by FG. I just don't see what they can do to resolve it quickly.

They inherited a mess from the crooks-led previous crowd. The latter are far more to blame imo.

There is all this "They could have" - how do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Clearly it is not in the sleeveen landlord's immediate financial interest at this point in time to make his property available for rent. Why not? One can speculate. Maybe he is asking a price that even in this buoyant market is too far beyond reasonable to attract any takers. Maybe he is hoarding the site with the intention of selling it on for further development and wants vacant possession. Whatever the real reason is, he is not being given sufficient incentives to make it available. That's a market failure.
    Why should we force this person to do anything? If he wants to own a property and not rent it out to some homeless person, that should be his decision. If he wants to rent it, or live in it, or keep ducks in it, it's none of your business.

The market failure is by not building in areas of demand. The market failure is NIMBYism, where instead of allowing new builds, we have politicians of every hue objecting to any new housing bigger than a bungalow in their neighbourhood. Build apartments in the city - lots of them - expensive ones, cheap ones, affordable ones, big ones, small ones. If you want to live in a house with a huge back garden and not be overlooked, move outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I do agree with his point about Homelessness (like many other causes) being a big industry employing thousands. very little coordination between them and nothing effective gets done about the root causes.

The government have passed on responsibility for a lot of its own remit to 3rd party charities which is adding big time to this mess of a situation.

i know there will always be a number of rough sleepers (many with drug & mental issues) that are effectively unhouseable and require constant on-the -ground care.

But i still disagree with his point on Normalizing. I think there is nothing wrong with declaring 'Crisis' once it gives the govt. a kick up the hole to take true responsibility for the situation and take coordinated and effective action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Time for some to get a jolly over to Finland, where apparently everything in the homeless department is just fine. I doubt that. But sure what do I know.

But anyway they may see the Northern Lights. And come back energised with lots of solutions that do not involve millions to so called charities. We might see.

I was listening to the Michael Reid show on lm/fm before Christmas and he was talking to Eoin o Brion about homelessness.

Anyway he started saying he read wiki and countries like Brazil, Peru, Canada etc have no homelessness so why can’t Ireland do it.

I was banging my head off the steering wheel.

These morons are paid to know the truth about this stuff yet they use Wikipedia to slate the government.

What hope have we of the truth ever been told apart from people like Peter Casey and Conor Skeehan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's only hard left loons that come out with crap like that, they shout for 'change' but have nothing to offer.
    dis is a joke of a country!!! :mad:

/goes back to watching Say Yes To The Dress

Haha unbelievable.

As is your claim you would accept criticism of FG policy, so jog on dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

2a78ti1.jpg

https://www.cluid.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Cl%C3%BAid-Annual-Report-2017-WEB.pdf

Page 67

Compensation for loss of office as employee €91,506
    Professional and consultancy €520,366

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ifElseThen wrote: »

https://www.cluid.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Cl%C3%BAid-Annual-Report-2017-WEB.pdf

Page 69

Page 67 for those who clicked on the link. What conclusions have you drawn from those 2 figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Shows up as 69 in Chrome's embedded PDF viewer.

600k would buy 2 houses is my conclusion.

Shows up as 69 in Chrome's embedded PDF viewer.

600k would buy 2 houses is my conclusion.

they added nearly 600 homes to their portfolio last year. they built apartments for 40+ senior citizens. Do you think they shouldn't pay professionals to do work for them?

Mirium interviewing head of housing at the moment.

God her little puppy dog sad voice of why why can’t you build houses for all the homeless is grating.

What’s her salary again?

Would love to stick a social housing estate beside her.

Or even better Margaret Cash beside her.

Absolute hypocrite of the highest order, I detest these people the most.

False fake sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Good interview.

"Anywhere they try to build social housing the level of objection to it is significant, they are well used to it they say."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

2a78ti1.jpg

Page 67

Honestly charities should be forced to run as co-ops. No heads or CEOs or any of that nonsense - all equal wages and equal votes. Surely this type of structuring goes against the ideals of a charity and it's aims.

Honestly charities should be forced to run as co-ops. No heads or CEOs or any of that nonsense - all equal wages and equal votes. Surely this type of structuring goes against the ideals of a charity and it's aims.

I would have thought the aims of a charity would be to provide the best possible service to the people it is helping as cost effectively as possible. Sure what you propose might be CHEAPER but not necessarily cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

This is rubbish and wont work. Many charities provide full time professional services with highly skilled staff, Cluid, cancer societ, MS Ireland etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At this stage, wouldn't it be wonderful if Government said, hey all you homeless charities who get money from the State must merge now and provide a one stop shop.

I know I am dreaming, so it won't happen. Empire building and bleeding hearts seem to go together like a horse and carriage now. And the various CEOs will have pistols at dawn to see who comes out the winner.

I say STOP.

Advertisement