Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible to change prepay electric as tenant

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So which is it? Nothing or only one thing?

How about addressing the several other instances in post 53, where a LL could be hit for monies that are the tenants responsibility. There are 4 in the post, you've only addressed one.

And installation of cable/ Sat tv or similar is most definitely something "to do with the LL"

You are correct when you say that bills in the tenants name are the the tenants responsibility. I never said otherwise.

I am giving my opinion as somebody who spent many years working in energy and can clear up a particular point.

It's a re-connection fee. €80 max not a full bill. It's the same for any service provided TV/Phone etc. In fact a landlord would not be allowed pay a bill if it wasn't in their name. Example, if a landlord rang Energy provider 'A' to pay a bill that is in the tenants name they would be told that it is not possible without the account holders permission.

If power is off at the property then the landlord would be right to keep €80 for re-connection but a landlord is not going to refund deposit without inspection and if the power is off it's quite easy to tell by you know, flicking a light switch.

From an energy providers point of view the tenant is responsible for the bills until the day of departure and then it switches over to the new tenant or the landlord. All providers will do a temp landlord account during vacant periods. If the property is empty even if a tenant leaves I'm sure the landlord will want electricity on to run alarms and keep the heating going so the place doesn't get damp etc and obviously showing new tenants a property with no power will go down like a fart in a spacesuit, so it's the landlord that needs to cover this not a tenant that has left even if they have broken lease.

Choosing an energy provider is the right of the tenant, this was trashed out between the company I worked for and the CER, we then removed the requirement of the sales team asking for a landlords number and seeking permission (Again I'm out of energy a couple of years so this may have changed)

In saying that in my experience energy providers take it on the chin when tenants do a bunk on bills and don't tend to cause hassle for landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭lucalux

Sorry for hijacking an old thread, but does anyone know if a tenant can choose to leave prepaypower after moving in to a property where that has been installed?

Contract is in landlords name, tenant pays the supplier directly (PrePayPower), so tenant isn't in any contract with them.

Landlord would be liable for exit fees for his contract, but tenant moved in assuming they would have bills in their name and would be free to choose their own supplier. Would not have taken the property had they known they were not going to be allowed to shop around for the best energy deals and new customer offers.

Anyone have any example, legislation or anything they could point me in the way of I would be grateful, thanks!

Advertisement